1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

what memory card would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by mesmerized, Jul 15, 2013.

1. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Howdy,

I've got a class-10 SanDisk Ultra 16GB SD card. What cards do you use? I want to get an extra card since I'm going to do some travelling in the southern part of China and I'm not taking my computer with me.

Cheers,

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    That one is fine. Personally, I consider memory cards to be commodities - any name brand with sufficient write speed is good. SanDisk cards are as good as any.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would get the same one again, if I were you.

Sandisks are the only SD cards I have used that do not fall apart on me over time. The more expensive Lexar cards are the ones that break on me the quickest, while other expensive brands like Panasonic and cheaper off-brands like Duracell, PNY, Kingston, etc. last about the same. Sandisks are the only ones which actually don't physically break on me.

As far as performance during use, and SD card is an SD card and I don't find much difference between them (unlike the early days when they could fail - modern cards are all reliable now). The physical build is the one place I've found substantial differences, and that's why I prefer Sandisk. I'll buy other brands if they're cheap enough mind you, as some of the deals you find on SD cards can be crazy cheap... and you can never have too much memory! ;)

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Sandisk Ultra are great cards. I would definitely recommend a card that is rated as a "Class 10" and/or "UHS-I" even though "Class 6" is what Olympus and Panasonic recommend.

I went with the Extreme Pro (rated 90 MB/second write and 95 MB/second read) even though they're probably overkill in terms of performance for our cameras. My justification is that if the improved write speed helps me get even one shot that I would've missed while a slower card was emptying the buffer, then the (relatively small) extra cost would be worth it. Also, I feel that buying the fastest cards available give me some measure of obsolescence protection.

5. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    ^What are you doing to cause your memory cards to fall apart? You know they're not meant to be folder, right?

6. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I've had Sd cards come apart as well. The Sandisk Extreme series are more robust, but the Ultras don't seem any better than other brands.

7. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    I use SanDisk 64GB SDXC cards, Class 10, 30MB per second. SanDisk also sells a Class 10 SDXC card that's rated at 45MB per second. But I don't think I'll need that. Though I shoot in RAW, I don't shoot in bursts. I haven't confirmed that 30MB per second will let me record 1080i video, but I think it will.

To buy at a low cost per gigabyte, I ...
    - bought a large capacity (64GB) without getting the highest (newest) capacity
    - used Amazon Prime to get free shipping
    - bought it used but Like New. My first one cost $52 shipped, my second, $42 shipped.

There's a saying, "The poor man pays twice." Buying something that's too slow, too small, or too fragile is false economy. Even if my G3 doesn't need all this capacity and speed, I can give one of my cards to my daughter, who may welcome the capacity or speed for her DSLR.

8. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Lexar Professionals are FRAGILE.

First I had a 8GB Sandisk Extreme Pro (95MBs) which I used for about 6 months but I wanted a larger card so I first picked up a 16GB Lexar professional cards (600x). The Lexar was just as fast as the Sandisk extreme pro's but their build quality is just horrible. After only a little more than a month the little tabs that separate the contacts have almost all broke and the card has literally started to break in half. The Sandisk has seen 4 times the use and looks as good as new. Now I just picked up a 32GB Patriot EP Pro, it's built as solid as the Sandisk and almost as fast.

9. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Forget the class ratings: even the top one, 10, covers an enormous range of card speeds. The key numbers are the read and write times, in MB/sec.

If you do a lot of high-speed continuous shooting it may be worth going for the fastest available write times (90-95 MB/sec). On an E-M5 I find I can shoot 22-24 frames at 4fps with such a card before the camera slows, compared with 17-18 with a 45 MB/sec one.

If you need to copy images from a card at speed, usually in the field, then read time may also be important to you, but for many people, it isn't.

Trouble is, just as the class number is not much of a guide to card performance, nor are some of the speeds quoted - if you look on the manufacturers' websites, it turns out they're quoting the quicker of the two speeds, and it could be that the card is quite slow at the task that's time-sensitive to you. So I think it's best to check manufacturer websites, and the full descriptions on Amazon.

Another factor is durability. As others have said, Sandisk Extreme and Extreme Pro cards lead the way in that they are claimed to be (and seem in reality to be) shock- and drop-resistant. BTW, if you look at the small print on the firm's website you'll see that water resistance extends only up to the 64GB cards - the 128s are susceptible to water.

Personally I use a 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro as my main card (95MB/sec read and write, IMO the fastest on the market, but double the price per MB of the Regular Extreme) then roll on to an Extreme of the same size (45MB/sec - watch out for old versions timed at 30MB/sec), followed by a Transcend High-Speed (85MB/sec write, 45MB/sec write).

10. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    You only need class 6 for video on anything other than a GH3. Video is measured in _bit_ rates, and card speeds in _bytes_.

11. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Toshiba Exceria Type 2 looks good. It's a class 10 card with reading speed of 95MB/s and writing speed of 60MB/s.

12. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    In case you want the very fatest card available, Toshiba recently announced SD cards rated at 260 MB/s read and 240 MB/s write speeds. They won't be available until the fall.

I have no experience with Toshiba cards, so although I like fast things, I'll be sticking with Sandisk until I hear some further reports on the Toshiba's reliability.

13. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    SanDisk 8GB x5

Helpful comments and opinions guys. I've mostly been using Lexar cards (and one Sony) with no problems to report, but maybe I'm just easy on my equipment.

I do shoot some RAW, but often JPEG and of late have been using 16–32G cards that are much bigger than I need. Like some of you in the past I've used multiple cards to separate work or limit the number of images on one device.

Even with my GX1 I've had times when the speed of the Lexar Pro 400x cards could have been faster...taking all of this into account, yesterday I ordered five SanDisk 8GB Extreme Pro cards for the nice round some of about $100. These will get spread about and I'll use my existing cards as backups. I should be set until the break, loose, or wear-out some of SanDisk cards, or change to a camera that creates much larger files.

14. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Well, I got Sandisk Extreme 32GB... Hope it's gonna do the job. I was considering getting a Toshiba but eventually the price factor made me go for a Sandisk card. Thanks for all your comments.

15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Depends on the camera. My EM5 clears the buffer faster with a 95/95 mbps card (SanDisk Extreme Pro). My G5 and former GX1 topped out with the 45 mbps cards.

16. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Heck, I didn't do any testing, maybe I could have purchased less expensive 45 mbps cards? Oh well, the 95 mbps cards will probably download faster :)

17. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    To me, you are saying that you are willing to lose half of your pictures. Cameras and bags get stolen, memory cards fail, memory cards get lost.

I always spread my take across four or five cards and my wife does the same. Cards are not all carried in the same place and we each carry a couple of the other person's cards. So, if we lose a card in a stolen camera or by some other means, we lose only a fraction of our take.

Cards are cheap. Travel is not. I have posted the following here before. I repeat because I think it is important:

From CraigsList.

18. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Oldracer... what can I say, I know how it feels to lose all the pics you've taken... but having 5 memory cards, 5 HDDs and whatever else can store your pics is not always the way out... guess what, my apartment got burglarized last year and I lost EVERYTHING I had... my PC (with backup files), 2 HDDs (with backup files), 3 flashdrives (on two of them I had my picture backup copies as well since they were 64GB each) and of course my camera. Heck, my friend's camera went into burglars' hands as well.

So trust me, no matter how many copies you have, s... happens. It does. Perhaps if you had 3 apartments and stored your copies on 15 HDDs that could be put in your house, your grandmother's house and your best friend's house....... and the White House... then (perhaps again) you might make sure everything would be safe.

19. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    When travelling, I simply prefer to keep it as simple as I can, the largest card I can fit in the camera and avoid messing with it if I can.

I rarely misplace my camera, I find managing a half dozen cards to have a much greater risk of user error.

20. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I currently use the SanDisk Extreme Pro series with the faster read/write speeds 95/90mbs, in 16 and32GB. I also have a couple of the Extreme series. I am a creature of habit and always purchase SanDisk as I have never had an issue with any of their cards.

SanDisk 32 GB SDHC Memory Card Extreme Pro Class SDSDXP-032G-A46

Post-Script: I always download daily onto my iPad and the pictures are then backed up in the cloud.