What manual Speedlite?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by wilvoeka, Jul 10, 2016.

1. wilvoeka

wilvoeka Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    I am looking to pick up some speedlites, but I am having trouble deciding what to get.

I know the YN 560s are popular, but as of late there seems to be some quality issues with theem getting stuck at firing on full power only.

I am not concerned with TTL or HSS, I just want some manual speedlites and the ability to use radio triggers that adjust power would be a plus.

What is your experience and recommendations?
  2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    I like the Godox 850s. Also sold as Neewer on Amazon and Flashpoint at Adorama. There're more expensive than the Yongnuos. You can get a set with the flash, trigger and receiver for $125-140. Full remote power adjustment for up to 16 groups.

They use a proprietary lithium battery for a claimed 600 full power pops. I've never run one down in use. The battery is an improvement over a bag full of aa's, but you can't just pick one up a the corner store.

There was a bad batch of batteries out there a while back that suffered from early failure. They seem to be gone from Amazon at least.

3. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I also like the v850s from godox/cheetah/flashpoint/etc. With all the new 2.4GHz models coming out, you can pick up the older models on sale. I have not had a battery issue, but have heard of others that have. And the Li battery system is amazing. I've never run down a battery, ever. And the 1.5sec recycle at full power is pretty impressive. What really sold me on the system though was the ability to use the same triggers with all their lights and its upgradability.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app
  4. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    A vote the Yn560s triggered by TX560. Very flexible and works wonderfully well. I have 2 Yn560IIIs and 1 Yn560IV. The only difference is that the IV model can do the work of a TX560 but is able to control lesser number of groups.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. wilvoeka

wilvoeka Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012

I am looking at this Flash..
    Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2

Can I just by this Trigger for them?
    Flashpoint R2
  6. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    No, that is the TTL/HSS trigger that is sadly brand dependent and sadly also not yet available for m43... but it's coming. For Flashpoint R2 (Adorama's name for the 2.4GHz godox system) what you'll need is one of the manual 2.4GHz triggers, either the XT16 or the XT32g. Currently Adorama doesn't sell them, so you will have to look at another brand for the triggers. But they are all compatible! In the states, I'd strongly recommend Cheetah as an alternative to Flashpoint, as they also offer a warranty. Cheetah Light 2.4G Manual Transmitter.

Here is a full overview of the system. GODOX – 2.4GHz Flash System Overview | FLASH HAVOC

I'd also suggest looking into the AD360. It's fairly compact for a 300ws strobe, and so far has been providing amazing light quality. fully compatible with the 850s too.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    For what type of shooting? The reason I ask is that studio monolights are relatively cheap on eBay and on CraigsList. For example, with a little patience you could probably pick up a Photogenic 1250DR "Powerlight" (monolight) for $125 or so. (Example: Photogenic powerlight 1250 DR) These pack a punch that no speedlite can approach and have far more options for light modifiers. The tradeoff is weight and bulk, as you will need light stands. The "DR" model has a digital readout and Photogenic has an infrared control set that lets you adjust them remotely. If that's not a big deal for you you can save a few bucks by looking at the non-DR Powerlights with mechanical slider controls.

If you go that way, be sure that the light comes with flash tube and reflector at least. Both are expensive to buy separately.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. wilvoeka

wilvoeka Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    I want small and portable. I worked in a studio for a long time and owned my own studio set up, I just want a quick and simple set up.
  9. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    OK so we have...
    • Small
    • Portable
    • Quick & easy setup
    Yet then the one you mentioned above looks rather LARGE to me. I think it is even bigger than my Olympus FL-50 which is a large and heavy flash. :confused-53:

Maybe you can better describe what you mean by "small and portable"? What else do you require? Tilt? Swivel? both? If not Li-Ion battery, is a 2AA flash ok or do you prefer the faster recycle time of a 4AA unit? Best to lay it all out now so we can better understand what you want, assuming you know what you want. :hmmm:
  10. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    Essex UK
    Another vote for the Godox V850's
  11. wilvoeka

wilvoeka Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    So will this work with Either the Flashpoint or Godox Flash?

Will the Cheetah one work with Flashpoint/Godox/Neweer flashes?

I am asking because in the future if I got the Neweer Monolight if I can use the same trigger system for all flashes. I will get the Cheetah if I can use it to trigger the flashpoints and the Neweer Monlight. I know the Speedlite has the reciever built in, but Cheetah also sells a reciever like the one with the Neweer I listed above, I am just wondering if they are all compatible with each other.
  12. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Ok, so that is the older 433mHz freq trigger. If you use the older FTR-16/16s it can work with the older and newer flashes, if you use the correct receiver. But, the internal receiver on the Flashpoint R2, Cheetah X series, or mark 2 series for Godox is 2.4GHz. So you'll need to use an external receiver, which will still provide full manual control and triggering, but not sure if it will do TTL or HSS unless you move over to the 2.4GHz later.

The nice thing is that you can just replace the FTR16s with the newer XTR16s for a small price, and then everything will be using the newer system.
  13. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Here is how it breaks down... I should note that I'm currently using the Older 433mHz series FT16 with V850s and AD360s, as I haven't had a reason to upgrade yet to the 2.4GHz, and they work perfectly for my manual only needs.
  14. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    I have the original manual versions of the Godox bare bulb and speedlight flash and love them (7 total now). With all the new equipment and transmitters/receivers it is all a bit confusing, and I have to dis-agree with Repp on one point. Yes the R2 transmitter you listed will trigger the R2 manual flash you linked and work on a Oly/Panny body (but no HSS or TTL). The Adorama R2 flash is the updated V850II manual flash with Li-on battery and the new intergral 2.4GHz receiver. Any of the Godox X1 or Flashpoint R2 triggers will trigger the R2 manual flash, (or the brand specific models in manual), it says so right in the owners manuals. I have 2 Godox, 3 Cheetahstand, and 2 Flashpoint labeled units and the transmitters/receivers are interchangeable. Same goes for the X1/R2, they are not proprietary when controlling manual flash.

Here is a link to the upgraded V850II/FP-R2 flash that explains all:
    GODOX – V850II 2.4GHz Speedlite – Now Available | FLASH HAVOC

Since I use both Oly and Nikon cameras, and in my case of having version 1 of these manual flash, if I wanted to use HSS with my Nikon (but not TTL) I need to buy updated 2.4GHz XRT-16 receivers (non-brand specific) to allow the older manual flash work with a 2.4GHz N (Nikon brand specific) version transmitter. This will also work in full manual with my Oly bodies, but no HSS (yet). I am debating whether to wait 60 days for the new N version of the XT-32 transmitter to become available, which is a lot less complex than the X1/R2, and really all I need. Or immediately buy the X1N from Cheetahstand stock. They are both about $50. But in either case they will control my V850 manual flash, as well as the updated version II you listed.

There is also a new XT-16 2.4GHz transmitter, not shown in the chart Repp posted, that will work with the manual flash too. But no HSS. This is really all you need when using manual flash Ver. II with Oly/Panny and only about $25.

BTW, I am keeping my fingers crossed in anticipation that the Godox 2017 Oly/Panny system they are working on will simply mean that I only have to buy a new Oly version transmitter to work with my existing flash using the 2.4GHz receivers to get HSS. Wouldn't that be sweet!!
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  15. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Just a thought, but what about the Godox TT600? It's kind of like the Godox analog to Yongnuo's YN-560IV. $70 on Amazon. Built-in X receiver/transmitter. Manual only. I agree with most of the folks in the thread that the V580ii's battery pack is muy slicker but if you're cash-strapped and ok with AAs, and if you were thinking of going Yongnuo for the low-low price of the 560III/IV, this is an equivalent model that--more importantly--gives you the option of upgrading into the Godox system, which won't cause you to repurchase your entire trigger chain the way upgrading in the Yongnuoverse would. :)
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  16. wilvoeka

wilvoeka Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    FYI. I chatted with a rep from Cactus and he told me using a V6II Cactus trigger on my G7 I could use HSS with any brand of TTL flash. I am not concerned with HSS but some of you reading this maybe.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Ranter

Ranter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 29, 2016
    Currently using yongnuo 622 with canons 430exii , yongnuo 560 , and flashpoint/godox 360..

All work well , occasional misfire ,, that is not present when used with canon,.. but it works

Patiently awaiting cactus v6 ii , for hss capabilities .. for now using ND filters
    And do ttl on camera would be nice for low light snap shots