1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What makes me sad about photography

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sprinke, Jul 16, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I'm getting great shots of my son, my family, and our friends. I love taking pictures, processing them, and sharing them. I love capturing these memories.

The problem is:

I'M NOT IN ANY OF THEM.

:crying:

• Like Like x 1
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Buy a remote. :wink:

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    That's my favourite thing about being a photographer.

• Like Like x 5
  4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Hahaha I think most of us suffer from that problem, to be sure :smile:

This weekend I was very happy I got a chance to hand the GX1 to one of my wife's friends and actually manage to get at least one photo of me and my wife together. Fortunately the GX1 was reasonably comfortable for a P&S user to handle (I'd already set the exposure settings), especially once I switched from EVF to the LCD.

For an upcoming trip to Alaska, I'm planning to take my Canon S95 with a Zipshot tripod and quick-release for group photos and snapshots of the wife and I. Generally I prefer my m4/3 gear, but in this scenario a P&S will be handy to snap on and off a tripod, as well as for any conditions where I might not want to risk my m4/3 gear, like kayaking. Have to balance getting my preferred candid portraits and landscapes with the snapshots my wife considers 'vacation photos' :biggrin:

5. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    I hate being in pictures. That's why I'm always the one with the camera.

• Like Like x 2
  6. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Ditto. :tongue:

7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I wouldn't say I hate it, but I certainly prefer to be on the back end of the camera. But with my daughter adopting my GH1 I am finding more and more pics of myself on the hard drive. I think she is trying to get even with me for all the times she has stared down one lens or another. But she has a long way to go...

8. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    That's why lately I've made it a point to take more self portraits with my daughter and family. Taking the time to carefully set up focus, framing and lighting before hitting the shutter and running into position has been a surprisingly fun addition to the hobby.

9. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Best solution? Get someone in the family another m43 so you can be on the other side of the lens, too ; )

10. Stewmander

Stewmander Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I also like not being in the photos like the others here posted. Being in the photo once in a while is enough haha

11. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Heh- occasionally I hand my camera to others for getting myself in the photo, although I prefer to take 'em so I don't have to be in 'em :smile:... but there's always a hesitation in handing someone my E-M5 with 25mm Nokton on there, or really any of my lenses :rolleyes:

12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    a tabletop tripod and a remote....or take a self portrait and have it printed out life size....then you can be in all the photos ;)

• Like Like x 1