What Macro Lens For Shooting Watches

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Rick Waldroup, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2009
    I am looking for a relatively inexpensive lens to shoot up close photos of wristwatches. I will be manually focusing so any tips as to brand or type of lens to use would be most helpful. Thanks, Rick.
  2. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    You could do worse that a Raynox 150 or 250 suplimentary lense, the 250 IMVHO gives too much magnification for every day use, but you could always get both.

Raynox Digital Camera, Digital SLR camera Accessories - Index

One advantage of using suplimentary lenses is there is no light loss, a macro lens at 1:1 you loose 2 stops as you know.

They work best on tele lenses, shorter focal lengths, 25mm and below I have found cause vignetting for the 150.

Here is a report I carried out on a 150 fitted to a Pany 45-200 zoom.

Or you could try a used Macro, I was lucky enough to pick this Micro-Nikkor 55mm f3.5 for a very reasonable price.

They are worth looking out for, all the top manufartures produced similar lenses, this is from the 1970's.
  3. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2009
    Thanks Dave. I, too, have the Panny 45-200 lens. So the Raynox just snaps onto the front of the lens? That sounds exactly what I am looking for. These photos I am taking of antique wristwatches are for web use only. They are for a friend of mine. I owned that same Nikkor lens you have back in the day when I shot Nikons. It is a great lens.