What m4/3 equipment do you consider to be outdated and why?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Luckypenguin, Oct 2, 2011.

1. The forum seems to gone on overdrive recently with talk of all the new cameras and lenses available. For those that don't hang to their old stuff this means that cameras and lenses are being consigned to the dustbin of history (or maybe just the buy/sell forum). So don't be diplomatic about why you upgraded, don't just say "I loved my old camera, but..." Tell us what the "but" was. What was wrong with the old that made you replace it with the new? Is the 20/1.7 too old and clunky now? Is the GF1 yesterday's news? Is the G1 an ancient noise-generating machine? Is the E-PL1 one control wheel short of a real camera? Has the retro appeal of the E-P1 worn off? Be honest. Be brutal!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Kind of a funny question, LP. Everything's "old" once a newer model comes out, but the real question is: does it still have enough value to keep? And the answer to almost everything is probably yes, at least for some people.

I suppose if you are suddenly shooting more video than before (probably a common occurrence) then the G1 would be old. And if you use a lot of legacy lenses, which require an external VF, then the E-P1 would be old. But you know that as soon as you make that statement there will be people who object that they still use and enjoy these cameras despite their age, and rightfully so.

As far as lenses go, I suppose the 20mm f/1.7 is old, but I'm not giving up my copy any time soon. Ironically, the oldest lens I own--the Panasonic 14-45mm kit lens--is also one of my favorites.

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    My E-P1 is ancient. It's slower than most late 90s digital cameras. The screen blackout between shot and display is a joke. Seriously, people laugh at me.....they think there is something wrong with the camera (honestly, it was $900 when it was new....it's embarrassing). It's noisy....even at base ISO.

It's still the best looking one out there. It's still not for sale. (of course that may change if I can't get rid of my GAS)

4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Yep, I stopped going past ISO 500 and even then... However, I still use it in my little studio at ISO 100 and it works just great there, while the GH2 now does all the other jobs. In the field I prefer the GH2's tweaks on the user interface and its much better high ISO, 1250 is my usual limit. After having handled an E-P3 recently the thought of upgrading to an E-P3+VF-2 is sort of a background process in my mind since :smile:.

5. Maybe outdated was the better term to use.

6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I"ve never really been the one that must have the latest and greatest... generally purchasing items used much later on. My purchase/replacement decisions are heavily weighted against whether or not there is something particular about the current camera that annoys or gets in the way of my enjoyment.

E-PL1 - like it for oh so many reasons but the AF performance remind me of a P&S. It doesn't track and its slow. From that regard, it makes my previous system/camera headed up by the aged 1d Mark II feel futuristic (around the time 1d MIV was already out). By the time, the E-P3 hit the used market, I just may move on if what I've been reading about its improved AF is accurate.

G1 - This was my first m43 purchased used as my intro into the format. It feels obsolete because this first iteration camera had issues producing clean images at moderate ISO settings. Outside in good light, its AF seems more direct and accurate than the newer E-PL1 which to me is odd.

The rest maybe already outdated from the perspective of model but they don't "feel" outdated to me as they are working within my expectations: 14mm, 20mm, 9-18mm, 14-42mm, 45-200mm. Of course, I have all the legacy glass too... that have been long long long been obsolete.

7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I guess because I came from a point and shoot, the IQ of even my e-p1 is still good enough. The mk ii kit lens is a breath of fresh air compared to the old one. I do find the closer focusing of the mk I kit useful and still use it from time to time. The blackout times of the e-pl2 are better than the e-p1, so in that sense I suppose the ep1 is obsolete.

8. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Have G1, G2, GF1, G3; "test-driving" E-PL2. Only G1 retired: no video, uncomfortable placement of adjustment wheel. G2 thrives as big zoom camera; better grip and balance than G3. GF1 is go-to choice for compact lenses; E-PL2 is competing for attention, but controls are still baffling to me. Odd one out is G3; it's a tweener, not ideal for either big or small. Bottom line for me: newest may be next to go to the sidelines.

9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The E-PL1 was just too slow. AF speed was not where I needed it to be, and with the new Pens I've gained a usable ISO 3200 as well and that's a really big help.

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I still use the e-p1 at work since I don't take shots of fast moving objects. It still takes fine pictures. "Obsolete" depends on much you read camera forums. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  11. I'm going to vote for any lens that does the old school CDAF all-the-way-in, all-the-way-out dance before locking focus. Main offender is the Oly MkI 14-42. The 17/2.8 is better but still not brilliant. Haven't tried the 20/1.7 to see how it fares in comparison. If you put a new lens on an old body the focus speed is okay.

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Any m43 camera without a focus assist light. Seriously what was Olympus thinking? :rolleyes:

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The 20/1.7 grinds to focus in about the same total amount of time that the 17/2.8 takes to do the focus forward, focus back, lock dance.

14. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I still use and love my G1 and GH1. Nothing wrong with them. For macro purposes they're better than the newer crop of cameras. I'm waiting patiently for a pro mirrorless body from either Panasonic or Olympus that'll give me higher flash sync, thinner AA filter, improved sensor in a solid body, IBIS preferred. A mirrorless E-5 would do the trick.

15. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    +1

i use an EP2 and if it was nice for landscape etc.. i soon hated the 14-42 for kids photos.

the 20 got me so many nice photos i love it and still use it as default lens
    but its with the 14-150 i first noticed a big improvement in AF.

thing that could make me buy an Ep3 is the improved AF
    i tried an EPM1 ( but not an EPL3 yet ) and it wasnt love at first sight :p

at the moment i think ill wait for the EP4 or GF1 successor but they are time i think i shouldnt.

last was 2 weeks ago, my son 5th birthday. i tried to capture his look when he discovered the RC car he has been dreaming about for 3 months, but first shot wasnt focused and second one 1s later he had noticed me and the look wasnt natural.

16. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Still happy with my E-P1.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Considering that the E-P1 is only 2.5 years old... My pro-bodies I expect to last at least a few years (without choice, as it takes that long for an upgrade to a pro body), and the only difference there is the build quality and shutter life (a 50,000 click consumer camera wouldn't last me 3 years). The technology still moves forward in those few years just the same, yet a working pro can use the same imaging technology for 3 or more years between upgrades and rely on it for their livelihood.

18. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    None of it. My old Syquest drives are outdated. I can still use my G2 so despite being "antiquated" in m43 terms it still takes pictures.

19. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    As digital cameras are really going through the same sort of growth curve both in mass acceptance and development/innovation we saw in the computer industry 10-15 years ago I find I can happily apply my maxim regarding computer purchases to my camera buying

The computer industry followed a progress that was in many ways defined by Moore's Law - which said that the number of transistors we could cram on a chip would double every 18 months.

This in turn equated to the 'computing power' available for a given price would double every 18 months. Now given that in most personal computers, the processor spent a lot of their processing time waiting for other parts of the system - including the operator.

What this meant was that - in my experience - you didn't really experience an appreciable boost in productivity until your PC was 4-5 times faster... which probably occurred every 4 years or so.

I believe digital cameras are in a similar place right now... and that you only really see a tangible performance boost over a similar timespan.

Of course there are always people who have to have the latest and every last bit of performance, even though in day to day use they are almost imperceptible.

My E-510, bought 4 years ago still serves me well - my E-P1 bought 2 years ago also continues to impress me... within the next year I will probably buy something that will replace the E-510 and possibly supplant the E-P1

In the meantime I tend to find that the thing that restricts my photography is me... not the technology.

K

20. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You realize that number has been around for decades. My first SLR a Nikon FM bought in '82 had that same guarantee. And yet camera built 50, 75, and even 100 years ago are still going. I don't think I have ever had a shutter wear out--I have had them jamb, but that is a different problem.