What lighting gear to buy next?

Hi everyone!

Over the past year I've been slowly building up my lighting equipment, I have a short list of what I'd like next but trying to decide on what order to purchase them in and would appreciate your input from the more experienced users or those with more gear :)

Current main gear:
one monolight - Broncolor Siros 800 L
few modifiers -
150cm Octabox (about 6')
1'x6' Stripbox
120x180cm Softbox (about 4.7'x7')
white umbrella (about 41")
standard reflector​

New gear options:
Get a 2nd Siros (another 800 or maybe even a 400 L)
Light meter (probably sekonic)
More modifiers (I don't think this is needed until I get a 2nd light)
Lighting storage bag (I'd need this in near future if I get a 2nd light)
or Something else useful I haven't thought of yet :)

Currently I shoot a variety of subjects from cars/motorcycles to random still products to people. I've definitely been getting by with one light but there have been multiple situations where it would've been nice to have a 2nd light.

Obviously a 2nd light is going to be the most expensive (I could get everything on my list except a light for less than the cost of a light). If I get a 2nd light I have enough modifiers to immediately start using it. It's just expensive, so I guess I'm trying to talk myself into pulling the trigger or holding off and get some other useful items first.

I've obviously bought into the Broncolor system so it makes the most sense to stick with that, I'm sure somebody will mention to get something cheaper (yet still great quality) like the Godox/Flashpoint AD600PRO, and they make a Broncolor spearing adapter for use with my current modifiers, but then I'd also have to change up my transceivers, additional spare batteries etc.

thoughts/comments?
thank you!

Last edited:

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
My thoughts on the lights would be that if you’re already married to the Broncolor, stick with it. They are amazing lights. However, what are your needs for additional lights? Accent light? Background light? For still subjects (not people), a lot of that can be done with doing multiple shots and compositing in post. For people it’s better to just have the lights.

If you’re not shooting in ttl/hss, you can use the optical slave on almost any flash. And for accent or background lights, a speed light may be all you really need. Which you save you money and space.

For modifiers, I’m really starting to love grids more and more. You could also look at things like a beauty dish or deep parabolic to round out your kit. Or if you end up with 3+ lights, a 2nd strip box could be useful.

Other things... backgrounds and V-flats? More/different stands? There is just too much out there

Mack

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm also thinking of one of those Godox/Flashpoint AD600 Pro units for their higher HSS output. Right now, with a couple of Godox TT685-O units, I'm about 3 feet (1/4000, ~f/8, ISO 400 using the 300mm+MC-14 TC) from the subject at full power in HSS mode to keep the background sunlight down about one stop. I may end up smoking the tubes so it would be nice to have a higher output unit along with the ability to plug in another flashtube tube for a reasonable price.

My thoughts on the lights would be that if you’re already married to the Broncolor, stick with it. They are amazing lights. However, what are your needs for additional lights? Accent light? Background light? For still subjects (not people), a lot of that can be done with doing multiple shots and compositing in post. For people it’s better to just have the lights.

If you’re not shooting in ttl/hss, you can use the optical slave on almost any flash. And for accent or background lights, a speed light may be all you really need. Which you save you money and space.

For modifiers, I’m really starting to love grids more and more. You could also look at things like a beauty dish or deep parabolic to round out your kit. Or if you end up with 3+ lights, a 2nd strip box could be useful.

Other things... backgrounds and V-flats? More/different stands? There is just too much out there
Yeah my need for another light is a mix of things from accent to background. For still subjects I’ve been doing just what you mentioned with multiple shots and compositing in post. It works but obviously a 2nd light, and someday more, would just be that much easier.
For people, I’ve just been doing the best I can with one light, I’ve got some ideas I’d like to play with but I’d definitely need a 2nd light.

I don’t shoot ttl, Broncolor actually doesn’t support it, but do use the HS feature when outdoors on brighter days depending on what I’m doing.

Ah yes grids! I for sure have been wanting to play with those, I see myself getting some after getting at least a 2nd light.

Backgrounds and V-flats, good call, I don’t have either of those but want some in the near future. Modifiers will be a never ending list I feel like haha, I’ll just slowly chip away at it over time.

Stands, actually I’ve been looking at new light stands from Manfrotto, I have two light stands now which get the job done just fine but for efficiency I like that they have a stacked solution so if you’re carrying multiple stands they fit/snap together to save space. I want to get a monopod as well.

I'm also thinking of one of those Godox/Flashpoint AD600 Pro units for their higher HSS output. Right now, with a couple of Godox TT685-O units, I'm about 3 feet (1/4000, ~f/8, ISO 400 using the 300mm+MC-14 TC) from the subject at full power in HSS mode to keep the background sunlight down about one stop. I may end up smoking the tubes so it would be nice to have a higher output unit along with the ability to plug in another flashtube tube for a reasonable price.
Everything I’ve read about them is that for the money you really can’t go wrong. You’re getting an amazing monolight at a fraction of the cost of Broncolor/Profoto etc but it’s not at all a fraction of the quality.
I noticed on B&H today that you can save a couple hundred dollars off of them as well if you don’t want the TTL function making it even more of a bargain.

Btw, I have the 300 as well and it’s amazing isn’t it!? I don’t have the TC yet but will get it one day.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom