1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What lenses would you get if you had 640 dollars?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by memzinla, Feb 23, 2013.

1. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hello. I know this question is subjective because we all have different tastes, and it seems like I'm just asking to avoid doing homework at all costs. lol. I've been avoiding it for the past 2 hours. Anyways! I was going to sell my OM-D, and decided to keep it.

I'm now wondering about the lenses. I'm not sure if I should stay with what I have, which are the Olympus 12-50mm and the Panasonic 25mm. Should I sell them to get around 640 dollars for new lenses? I've them both for two months, and I noticed I always leave the kit lens, and always stay at 12mm. I really want the Olympus 12mm F2, but I can't do that. I'd give up all that range for only one. :O The kit lens seems like a poor mans best friend with everything it has: good range, weather sealed, macro, and wide!

I thought about maybe buying the Panny 14, 20, and then the Olympus 40-150. That comes up to around 600, correct? I would really miss 12 though, and like I said I rarely use the zoom. I also really like the Panasonic 25mm, but, it seems to be too close sometimes for indoor shots. I read that the Panny 20 focuses closer compared to the 25?

Should I just stay with what I have? It seems like I only want what I don't have. I've been wanting the Oly 12mm for a long time though. It seems like the perfect one for me. It looks like I answered my own question. lol.

Ok ignore my question. If you had 600 what lenses would you buy? What type of photography do you shoot?

2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    eeeeeeeasy!

save up a bit
    then sell the 2 lenses once your:
    SAVINGS + INCOME FROM LENS SALES = Used Oly12/2.0

then be happy and shoot for days
    you can always get another poorER mans zoom via the trade section here and just settle for the 14-42 IIR for $125ish?, and then buy a $25 cctv lens for a macro lens

you lose some of the reach, but not too much
    you still have a decent macro(id say they are similar enuf for someone that only occasionally plays around with macro)

only thing youd really be missing is weather sealing, and if u need that...

save up
    sell the 14-41iir + cctv lens when...
    SAVINGS + INCOME FROM SALES = Used 12-50
    there
    problem solved
    now onto world peace...! :D

3. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    Chicago
    If it were me Id buy a 7-14mm used :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Well if save is an option, 12-35 2.8 would be for you! Used approx $950 or sell your EM5, too and get a G5 and 12-35.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    For indoor? You need the extra aperture width for good shutter speeds. I am not a 12mm shooter, but if that's where you shoot, then go for it. If you can just chip in a bit more, you could add a 40-150 and a legacy 50mm/1.8. That would give you reach, portrait, zoom and your wide angle.

Having said all that, I'm REALLY loving the 17/1.8 right now! Wide Aperture, good for indoors, fast focus, small. But that would leave you without a 12, and if you want to go that wide, I'm not sure you have a choice.

What do you shoot? That helps a lot in deciding lenses.

6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    + 1 for the 17/1.8 and the 40-150. I love the 12 but I use the other two much more.

7. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah I'm not much of a macro guy, but like playing with the semi macro of the 12-50mm. :D

I haven't seen pictures from the cctv lens. :O I should look that up.

You know what? My sister actually has an Olympus EPL2 with the 14-42 lens! I can "borrow" hers. :O I completely forgot she had it. haha. Thanks Bokeaji. That seems like something I would. I seem to upgrade very slow by buying cheap lenses, and then trading them for more expensive gear + a little cash on my side.

Right now I'm thinking of buying the Panasonic 20mm, and sell the Panasonic 25mm because I just bought the FL-600R flash. That way I'll have the extra money from the cheaper 20mm. I was worried about this lens because I read about banding issues with the OM-D, and the slower focus.

I'd love to have 7-14mm!! I'm blown away with the pictures taken with that lens. :D

Juan that lens also seems nice, but it's very expensive for me. I wouldn't be able to let go of the EM5 because IBIS has allowed me to keep ISO lower with longer shutter speeds.

8. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was interested in the 17mm for a while. It's a nice focal length. Not too close, and not too wide. It's also fast. I don't think I would get it now though. I was also thinking about buying a Pentax 50mm F1.7 lens and attach it to the OM-D. I've been wanting to play with an old lens. Which one do you guys recommend? With what adapter?

I'm not even sure what I shoot. haha. I just like to carry it with me, and take pictures of whatever catches my attention.

8487201827_eed6494e4f_c.
    Tacos in Vegas! by memo90061, on Flickr

8487194757_292777eb0c_c.
    P1131133 by memo90061, on Flickr

8488284554_f5c95732d9_c.
    Encore Las Vegas by memo90061, on Flickr

8432147208_8ac9cb89f2_c.
    Radiator Springs Racers by memo90061, on Flickr

This has been one of the times when I played with macro.
    8408142373_5fe45be20c_c.
    Playing with macro by memo90061, on Flickr

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I sold my 20 because it's too slow to focus on my kids. But if that's what you shoot (above), then the 20 would be great for you. It also close focuses.

I have two 50mm lenses: a 50/1.4 and a 50/3.5 macro. Both are FD mount. I would recommend FD, OM, or Takumar. I've not used the Nikon's, but I hear they are good, as well. Here's my short take on the three above:

1) Lots of people like the OMs. They are sharp, but to my eye, they lack contrast and can ghost a bit wide open. I find them a bit clinical. They do, though, have a great, smooth focus ring.

2) I chose the FD because I find the image quality wide open is best of the "cheap" lenses (i.e. not CZ or Leica). They show good color and contrast and less ghosting than the other's I've tested, though they are still a little soft at 1.4 (sharpens up nice even at 1.8). The MF ring is a little touchy, though. Not smooth like the OM or Takumars, but I put up with it.

3) The Takumar 50s are in their own class. Very soft wide open, but the character of a Takumar is unique and gorgeous. The focus ring is buttery smooth, and they are VERY attractive to look at (OMs and FDs are not nearly as beautiful)

10. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Does the Panasonic 20mm have trouble focusing during the day too? :O I do like to capture some of my cousins when they don't expect it. I like taking candid images too. I guess I probably wouldn't use it for people though. I would also like to use it at concerts. I wonder how that would be.

Are all adapters good? I think I need to look at the images taken with those lenses to see which one I like best. Thank you very much for the replies. They are very helpful! :D

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The 20 is slow to focus compared to the 25, but generally gets focus. Daylight and still subjects, you won't notice any issues at all.

I order adapters from Amazon, usually getting them from RainbowImaging. The 50mm could be good at concerts, depending on where you are sitting. I took this movie with an OM 50 2.0 on an EP1 a couple of years ago: https://vimeo.com/12017846 (the OMDs IS would have REALLY helped!)

It was a small coffee house environment.

12. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think if the price is right I'll buy the Panny 20mm, and sell Panasonic 25mm. I'm starting to feel guilty because I just bought the flash.

The video looks really good! I didn't know the EP1 has good video. :O I'm surprised because I don't think the video on my sister's E-PL2 is good. :/ I've sneaked her camera into concerts, and the video sucks.

Ah! I really want to buy an old lens now. I don't know which one though. haha. Is there a fast/cheap macro lens?

13. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    What about the Panasonic 14mm with the matching Panasonic wide angle converter? The converter makes it an 11mm lens, and there are some good reports about it on here. The combination should be available for around $300-$350, which would leave you some money for another low cost lens (Olympus 40-150, or one of the Sigma primes)

• Like Like x 1
  14. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    I would get the Panasonic 20mm and Olympus 45mm with that budget. Those two will get you through a lot of different shooting situations. That was my dual combo before I decided to make m43 my primary system. If you buy used that should come up to around $620, maybe cheaper.

If you could invest a little more money, I would go the Olympus 17mm f1.8 and Olympus 45mm route. That would be $500 new for the O17 (kind of hard to find this used at the moment) and about $320 for the O45. So I guess that would be an extra $200.

I like street photography, so I would go for 2nd option for faster focusing. But the P20 would still be fine for street shooting, since you could zone focus.

To be honest though, I think the combo you have now is fine IF you MUST have the 12mm end. It allows you to have the 12mm FOV (24mm equivalent) without spending hundreds more on a more specialized lens. If you were to buy another lens with 12mm FOV (the ones I can think of off the top of my head are the Oly 12mm, Panasonic 12-35mm, Oly 9-18mm and Panasonic 7-14mm. Might have missed some?), it would wipe out your entire budget.

15. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I'd go for the the Panasonic 14-140mm or Olympus 14-150. But I find myself switching between wide and telephoto a lot, and it would be more convenient than carrying around the 14-42 and the 45-200. But given that the price is twice that of those two lenses combined, I haven't been able to justify it...

• Like Like x 2
  16. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Sounds to me like you should seriously consider the Oly 9-18. If you're always at 12mm on the kit lens that means it's likely a lot of the time you'd like at least a little wider. It would fit your budget better than the Panny 7-14.

• Like Like x 1
  17. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    +1 on the Oly 9-18. If you really like wide, that could be a great "walkaround" lens for you since the long end gets you back to ~35mm equivalent. You could sell the 25mm to cover the cost of that one, and sell the 12-50 to get the 20mm for a low-light option.

There are lots of inexpensive legacy 50mm-55mm macro lenses, or 50mm f/1.4-1.8s that work great as portrait lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Twelve 15mm bodycap lenses is the obvious answer.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    hey, how fast is the af on the oly9-18?
    that does sound like a good idea. especially if you arent really going for normal-short tele range much

oh and the video on yer sisters camera might have sucked due to a slow aperture kit zoom lens? just a guess!

yeah check on flickr, for something like "cctv macro" you just screw on these extra thin mount pieces to pull it further from the sensor, and it lets you get ridiculously close to stuff... plenty good enuf for FUN, prolly not quality enuf if you were serious into macro tho.
    a manual focus old school macro would be fine, and cheap, but i wouldnt worry about FAST... i dunno if they even MAKE a FAST macro... do they?...
    if a macro lens could go to f99, it prolly still wouldnt get the entire grasshopper eyeball in focus from front to back.. wow that depth of focus gets shallow up close!

oh good! that sounds like a perfect plan! also try to notice if u actually ever USE the zoom, or yer 12-50 zoom... mebbe its all in yer head that u NEED that versatility... i have a desk covered in cameras my brain keeps insisting i NEED, yet never use... or all those rolls of film... *rolls eyes* lol :) dont be a hoarder! haha

the p20 is SOOOOO much slower with af than the pl25... i got the p20 as my first upgrade lens back with my ep3... wow... i was so confused why everyone loved it. not that it was DRASTICALLY slower than my kit 17/2.8, but compared to the kit zooms, it was just nightmarish. certainly see if you can try one.. or buy one used, and u can resell for no loss after you test it out
    im SURE people will pipe up that its not THAT bad... it is to ME... so find a way to try it!
    my p20 was banding... i havent tried it in ages tho, i dunno if they fixed it.. i got the pl25 and just abandoned the p20.. its on my desk with other things i "need" to keep.. lol :)

actually, it and the ep3 and kit 17/2.8(and mebbe the 12-50, if i can convince my brain...) are being donated to a teacher buddy that wants a smaller camera... he has the DSLR blues!

20. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thank you very much for the replies. :D

I was thinking about the Panasonic 14mm with the adapter. I looked at the pictures, and the pictures without the adapter look sharper. I wasn't so happy with the results. :(

I did think about the 45mm lens because I've loved the results I've seen from it. I don't think I would use it much because I feel like 25mm is already too close. Dino I love your setup! :D

Madogvelkor that lens would be very useful when traveling. :D

I did think about the Olympus 9-18, it seems like the range I would use. I'm not happy with the F4-5.6 though. I'd be missing a fast lens to use at night. The 9-18mm would go perfect with the Panny 20. Hmmm. That's actually a nice setup. :O I can't believe I didn't think of it! I don't think I can afford the Panny 20 though since I just bought a flash! The flash would be good to use with the wide 9-18mm indoors. :D

That's funny promit! haha

Bokeaji that's true. I stay at 12mm all the time, and occasionally zoom in when I can't get closer with my feet, or if I want to get really close to something.
    7889044708_8f6d2e4d2f_c.
    Imperial Moth by memo90061, on Flickr

I'm surprised to look at my "interesting" pictures according to this website, and noticed that I've taken my favorite pictures with the Olympus E-520.
    Flickriver: memo90061's most interesting photos

Hahaha. I used the Panasonic 25mm yesterday at a show, and I'm liking the results. I'm kind of regretting selling it. :'( That's nice of you. :D