What lenses to use on a EPL-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by j soto, Feb 9, 2013.

1. j soto

j soto New to Mu-43

Jan 3, 2013
    I upgraded from a p&s to an EPL-1. I'm not really impressed my the images I'm getting. Some shots come out great others not so much. I don't know much about photography and that's probably the primary reason for the image quality. But can any of you recommend a different type of lenses other than the cheap plastic kit lenses? Thanks in advance.
  2. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    I use the Panasonic 14mm and 20mm with mine- both give excellent quality, and are reasonably priced (often on special, if you check recent posts on them). They are small, fast, easy to use. I'd suggest you start with those, see where you go from there.
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    What's not impressing you :confused:
  4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    The kit lenses are much maligned - there are plenty of great shots in the Sample Image threads -

In general, a Prime (fixed focal length) lens will be sharper (and usually faster) than a kit Zoom lens but its usually the composition thats the key at the end of the day. You also get a degree of flexibility that comes with not having to pause and swap lenses - often you lose the moment you were trying to capture.
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
  6. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Are there any particular types of shots that are disappointing you?
    The Mk1 kit lens can produce some very decent results. And it's the quality of the glass that makes the difference to the image quality, not the material of the housing (which stood up fine on mine for all the time I had it).
    I used it throughout the time I had the EPL-1, and although I sometimes looked at the Panasonic 20mm, for the speed, that focal length does not appeal to me although plenty of people love that lens.
    There is no one best lens.
  7. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    The kit lens is quite good. As you learn about photography and your camera, the pictures will get better.

This forum is a good place to learn a lot. Hardware helps but remember what Ansel Adams said..."no photographer is as good as the simplest camera".

8. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    I'm going to offer advice that I got on here when I first started not too long ago. This is if you don't know/understand exposure and how ISO shutter speed and aperture. Get the Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. It seriously helped me, along with reading this blog. The only other thing is if you're shooting a lot inside a faster prime will help. That's the reason I picked up a Sigma 30mm, I know its not extremely fast but it does pretty good and its much cheaper than the other fast primes. I hope this helps you.