1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What lenses for trip to Cape Town?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Starred, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Going for 10 days to Cape Town next month. This is supposed to be a great town with plenty of highlights. We also plan to visit the coast lines (potentially whales) and the wine area (Stellenbosch).
    I have an EM5, and my current set of lenses consists of the Oly 9-18, Oly 14-150, Oly 45/1.8, and Pana 20/1.7 and 100-300.
    I must admit that I am more a zoom person then I prime guy.

I don't want to take them all with me, so which ones do you recommend?

And would buying the new Pana 12-35/2.8 be very beneficial for me during this trip, also considering the lenses I already have?

2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    This is my usual travel kit, with the Panny 14-140 instead of the Oly. For me, travel = zooms because I often can't control where I shoot from (restricted walks, overlooks, guys with guns, etc.) Where we travel with a group, I have no control over itinerary or group movement. Two bodies helps, too, because a group will not wait for you to fiddle with changing lenses in order to get a shot.

Cape Town is pretty typical of a first world city in terms of what you will see The exceptions are the shanty town slums and the barricaded private residences. Wine country is like anyone's wine country, with similar scenery.

You will see farmed ostriches along the road; you could have some fun with them if you haul your 100-300. The game parks in that part of SA might be described as "outdoor zoos." That is not really fair, because they can be large enough that you don't see the fences, but none can hold a candle to Greater Kruger in the north. If you're going to visit one of these, the 100-300 will again be useful.

From my limited experience, shooting whales and dolphins is very much a crap shoot but yet again, the 100-300 would be my choice.

I too have been daydreaming about the 12-35. That should be a very useful one-lens solution for city walkabout. I don't use the wide end of my 9-18 all that much anyway. YMMV, though.

OT: Getting to the Codfather (The Codfather Seafood and Sushi restaurant) is worth a special effort. The boat excursion to Robben Island is also quite worthwhile if you have even the slightest interest in apartheid-period history. I'd skip the V&A waterfront mess. It's the same boring shopping center that you can see anywhere in the world, with the same stores and brands.

3. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    The 100-300mm for wildlife and long distance scenic shots, and the 12-35 for walkaround if you can get hold of that one.