What lens?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by steelerdan69, Sep 16, 2011.

1. steelerdan69

steelerdan69 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Well I'll be getting my epm1 any minute! Just waiting for FedEx. Also ordered the grip from Richard. Now I want a prime lens to go with my 14 42 mm. It's between the panny 20mm or the new 45mm from oly. So is the 45 only for portraits? Why thd hype for this lens?

2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    What's the reason you want a prime lens? That will be the main driver behind which lens is the best to get. It really depends what you want to photograph and why you think a prime lens will benefit you. Sometimes it's just fun to go out with a prime lens and find things to photograph, it's a different style of photography to zoom work and I think using a prime can make you a better photographer as you need to think through the compositions more and move about to get the shot as opposed to just "zooming" in.
    The 20mm is a lovely small compact lens with a fast f1.7 aperture and it has very good IQ, the focal length is very close to what you see with your eyes so it's a very practical focal length to have.
    I used to have the Zuiko 50mm f2.0 macro lens when I had my 4/3 kit and I didn't find it a very useful lens to just go walkabout with, it didn't suit my style so for me the 45mm would be the same so not a lens I'd go for personally. If you do portrait photography though it would be a very useful lens.

Paul

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Oly 45mn is more of a special purpose lens rather than general use walk around. Zoom in all the way with you kit zoom and see what you can shoot with that FL.
    I do think that Oly 45mm is must have lens for every m43 user due its incredible shallow DoF capabilities.
    For walkaround lens w/E-PM1 I suggest Panny 14mm. It's super small and light, focuses very fast on E-PM1. Great for movies too, C-AF works quite well and silently (especially in daytime). If you are not planning to get Oly 45mm then maybe Panny 20mm instead of 14mm for better DoF effects although it's the slowest focusing lens on E-PM1 and not so great for those full hd movies...

4. steelerdan69

Aug 23, 2011
    Well I'm new this micro 4 thirds. Just received the epm1 10 minutes ago !!!! Sold my nex3 to get this hope it don't backfire. Well right away it's small and really lite and hard to hold. Hopefully the grip fixes that. The screen is not a crisp as the NEX, but I wanted smaller and with more lens selection. My shooting will be used at a wedding next week and then just taking pictures of my kids, concerts and amusement parks.

5. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    The 20mm is a great all around lens. I have bought and sold every other lens I have owned except that one.

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I think for wedding, you may really benefit from Oly 45mm f1.8 which is supposed to focus very fast

7. steelerdan69

Aug 23, 2011
    To bad I get married next Saturday and the 45 mm is not out yet. Maybe get the 20 mm.

8. steelerdan69

Aug 23, 2011
    Man the LCD screen is is really low quality compared to the nex3. Also I feel the focusing is faster on the NEX. Inside my house in low light it had trouble focusing at random object. Don't recall the NEX 3 having trouble. Could it be the lens ?

9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It definitely should not be slower focusing than the Nex.

10. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I just bought the 12mm f2.. nice lens but way to wide for me.. a tad wide for street and not a everyday lens like the 20mm . the 20mm = 40mm is the ticket for all around shooting.. the 12mm is great for landscape though.. whatever trips your trigger though.. both are great.

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    When I tried E-PM1 with kit zoom focusing was very fast even in low light. Are you setting your lens wide open? Yes, it sucks that most Oly cams (and all panasonic ones) are still using quite low resolution screens w/no auto-brightness sensor...I guess that's why they want you to buy VF-2 or VF-3, lol.

12. dayou14

dayou14 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    Cannot go wrong with 20mm。 It's a legend in the M43 communities.

13. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    If I had to do it over again, I would only get the mZuiko 9 - 18 zoom and the mZuiko 14 - 150 zoom, those two lenses cover everything I would shoot. These two zooms are very compact, light weight and optically excellent. Add a 58mm polarizer, 58mm UV filter, 52mm - 58mm step-up filter ring, (58mm R72 infrared filter if you're into infrared), (58mm achromat close-up lens if you're in macro), (SEMA-1 microphone kit if you're into video) and an FL-36R flash.
    Everything I listed here will fit in your STEELER baseball cap!!!!!!!
    No need for a basket full of lenses, those two will fill your needs.
    If the lighting gets low, just dial up the ISO, your PEN can handle it.

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Psh, I'm glad they don't have auto-brightness sensors anymore. I hated that "feature" with a passion on my E-3.

I would like to try the 640k OLED screen on the E-P3. It's supposed to be really vibrant... which isn't normally a good thing in my eyes (I'd rather see what the image will look like on an LCD screen like my computer), but would be great for manual focusing.

It's always been a bit of a weird case why they never put the 960k dot 3" LCD from the E-5 into the PEN cameras, when the PENs are far more reliant on Live View than the E-5. My thinking is that the high-res LCD probably takes up a lot more battery power and being used all the time on the PENs, particularly with the smaller battery of the PEN, would be too much drain. As it is, the PENs run out okf batteries rather quick and my 460k E-PL2 seems to run out of power a lot faster than my 220k E-P1 did (I mean they run out quick compared to say an E-3 or E-5, but battery life is actually really good for this kind of camera, as is usually the case with Olympus).

The VF-2 is certainly nice though. Super high res, and uses up even less battery power than the LCD (at least I think it does).

15. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Hmm, can't imagine using those zooms in low light and I do have 14-150mm (as daylight only). At f4 you'll be way into ISO3200-6400 which is unusable on Pens. I currently have 3 lenses: 14mm, 20mm and 14-150mm and will have 45mm f1.8 to complete my system. I'd be glad to substitute both 14&20 with one single bright 17mm pancake. I really prefer just 3 lenses for simplicity.

16. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    have you tried turning up the screen brightness? my EP3 and EPL3 are very bright..