What lens to get for an EPM-1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by colbycheese, May 1, 2012.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I have an epm1. I do not know what lens to get. I was looking at a wide prime lens or a telephoto. I am interested in bird and plane photography. This is why i want a telephoto. However i also love to take indoor photos in low light, especially of cats and people. I don't know much about lenses but i think a wide prime lens would be good for low light. I am not sure this is true. So, what lens should i buy next. I don't want to spend a lot of money but i want a good lens. I was looking mostly at panasonic lenses but it is not a big deal if it is olympus. I am not sure which lens is best for me.

2. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Indoor lowlight..... 20mm f/1.7 panny.......

I find it a hair better then the 14mm f/2.5, though that lens is also fabulous.
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Not sure why you want anything wide, given your listed interests? Why not something fast and a little bit longer like the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8? It's about the same price as the Lumix 20mm f/1.7.
  4. Ryan

Ryan Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2011
  5. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
  6. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    My 20 lives on my E PM1
  7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    The Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is an excellent match for the PEN Mini. The pancake form factor along with the petite body make a very pocketable camera and the 20mm field of view is very adaptable.

That said, I agree with Ned that the 20mm's not perfectly suited to indoor portraiture (the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 is a slightly more useful/flattering focal length for portraits and equally good in low light) nor is it useful for shooting birds/planes (you need a telephoto lens for that).

For low light, what you want to look for is large apertures (i.e. small f/ values). The fastest :43: lens is a Voightlander 25mm f/0.95 which goes for over $1000, but any of the primes under f/2 are plenty fast enough to create good low light shots.

For birding you really want something like the Panasonic 45-200 or Olympus 40-150. I have the 40-150 and it is a very capable tele-zoom. Others here have good words for the 45-200 which can be had slightly cheaper and its extra focal length would be handy for your purposes.

The other option on the telephoto end is an adapted lens. Start searching for old telephoto lenses in the 200-400mm range at garage sales and thrift shops and then buy a $20 adapter to allow you to use them on the E-PM1.
  8. rapid

rapid Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 11, 2012
    After a bit of thought I went with

Panasonic 14mm
    Panasonic 20mm
    Olympus 45mm

I almost went with the 12mm/25mm/45mm but just couldn't justify the size of the 12/25 plus the cost as it would have been quite a bit more..

Hope this helps and remember to check if cashback is on offer..

I got the following kit in April with cashback

EPM1 £50 cashback
    45mm £75 cashback
    20mm £50 cashback
  9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    For birding the best inexpensive option is the panasonic 45-200mm (as far as native lenses go).