What lens should I go with next?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by gundam83, Jun 23, 2011.

1. gundam83

gundam83 New to Mu-43

May 10, 2011
    I currently have the following lenses for my GF2:

14-42mm f/3.5-5.6
    20mm f/1.7
    45mm-200mm f/4.0-5.6

I'm intrigued by adapted lenses (primarily for the $$$ savings) as some of these photos look excellent. Most of my shoots include: car shows, guns, and I may want to dabble in portraits. Considering my existing budget lens collection, what do you guys suggest that I add that will coincide well with what I shoot? I'm trying to stay thrifty and would like to stay under $100 for the lenses.
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    50mm fast primes are easy to find and extremely high quality --see rokkors and hexanons. They do become 100mm though, so 35mm lenses might be a more useful choice.
  3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Under $100 with adapter, I would get a 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 lens. The newer, the better.
  4. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    With the caveat that newer without the ability to set the aperture is almost useful.

35 1.4 would be an awesome lens to have.
  5. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    ... And that manual lenses have a smoother, more durable, mechanism for MF than AF lenses.

... if made for rangefinder cameras: much smaller, more iris blades and generally sharper on m43.
    Leaves little choice but Voigtländer at a still reasonable price.
  6. brunerww

Mar 5, 2011
  7. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    The older 50mm primes are certainly cheapest and most plentiful. I've been having some fun with a Pentax 50mm f/1.7. Cost around $90 for lens + adapter. It takes very nice photos. The Minolta MD 50mm f/1.7 (or is it 1.8?) is even cheaper and reportedly very sharp.

You could also ask around amongst friends who have older film SLRs. Many of them will have a 50mm lens sitting around somewhere. Then all you need is an adapter.
  8. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There are a number of 50mm lens out there. I suggest you get as fast a lens as you can so it will work well in low light, be sharp stopped down and still be fast. Also decide on a mount so you can add to your collection in the same mount and use the same adapter. Some of my favorites are Konica Hexanon 50mm 1.4 and 1.7 both very sharp. The Konica 50mm 1.8 lighter but still nice. The Pentax 50mm 1.4 lenses are also great. Others have their favorites and they are also excellent I'm sure.