What lens should I get

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Whit68, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Whit68

Whit68 New to Mu-43

Jun 5, 2011
    G'day all,

I have an EPL-1 with the kit 14-42 lens.

I am looking to purchase another lens but am not sure what to get. I already have a couple of adapted Yashica lenses I use (80-200, 35-70, 50 and 28).

I want to start doing some more serious portraits but also do landscapes and want to dabble in street photography soon. If I was to prioritise I would go portrait, street and the landscape.

Any thoughts/advice gratefully received.

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Are you happy with your Yashica lenses? I'm assuming that since you listed them, you don't need any more lenses in those ranges. The only shooting you may need more gear for is street photography. For street photography, do you want something wide, or are you trying to get people's faces? The 20mm is a very popular lens, although the Panasonic 25mm is better, but is twice the size and twice the price, so you have to make that call yourself. The 12mm is amazing, but are you wanting an ultrawide, and are you willing to spend $800 on a lens? Are you happy with the 28mm for street photography?

The 50mm lens is just fine for portraits, try to stay at f/2.8 or faster. The 35-70 and 80-200 mean that you're covered in those ranges for landscape, and you'll be stopping down, so the 14-42mm is good enough for its range as well. You seem to be covered, for the most part. I would just recommend going out and using your lenses, seeing what you may or may not like about them.
  3. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    Id suggest the Olympus 45/f1.8, great for street, better than the 20mm in my opinion, good portrait length to. Not ideal for landscapes though.
  4. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California

Just described the lumix 20mm. (plus night shooting)
    Had it on my EPL-1 for a year straight and dabbled in everything you listed.
  5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'd also say 20mm.
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Are you looking at native lens options, more Yashica/Zeiss lens options, or maybe even other adapted lenses? Your Yashica 50mm and 28mm should be good portrait and street lenses, respectively. The 28mm or 14-42mm should do fine for landscape, but you might want to get a more dedicated lens for that. Maybe an ultra-wide like the Lumix 7-14mm f/4 or m.Zuiko 9-18mm f/3.5-5.6, or perhaps a wide prime like the m.Zuiko 12mm f/2? A Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 or Zeiss 135mm f/2.8 in C/Y mount might be a good addition for tight portraits and headshots.

I know a lot of people are suggesting the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 and m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, but you already have those kind of lenses covered with your Yashica 50mm and 28mm. You never said anything about wanting Autofocus or otherwise being disappointed by your manual lenses (ie, like wanting a digital lens because your legacy lenses are too soft or prone to flare), so unless this is the case I would look at adding other lenses you don't have covered.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Christopher

Christopher Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2011
    Pentax 25/1.4 CCTV for fun or a Nikon AI 105mm 2.5 for portraits.
  8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Funny you mentioned those. I just picked both of those up this week! :biggrin:
  9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I just picked a Nikon 100mm 2.8 ais.
  10. Whit68

Whit68 New to Mu-43

Jun 5, 2011
    Thanks for you responses all.

I think i might take Shnitz advice and play around a little more before I lash out. I'll get the VF-2 EVF as a first step and pick a lens up in a couple months when I am a little more confident in what my current lenses can do.

11. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Perfect choice:thumbup: