1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What lens should I buy next?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DigitalD, Jan 18, 2014.

1. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Hi all. So I'm looking for some input on what lens to buy next for my OM-D E-M1. I'm completely hooked and will probably dump my 17-55mm f2.8 APS-C lens for around $650-700.

I've read a ton of reviews but nothing like other enthusiasts chiming in with their own experiences. And yes I know it's very subjective by user but here is my current lineup.

O12-40mm f2.8 Pro
    O17 f1.8
    PL 25mm f1.4 (my fav)
    60mm f2.8 macro

My preferred range is 12-25mm but I'm looking to increase my range of glass. The three that I have been eyeing are the PL 7-14, O 9-18 and the O 45. Though I would love to pick up a Voightlander, the overlap in range and high cost is keeping me away for the moment. I don't want to dump any of these lenses as I love them all so far.

All opinions welcome. Again I know this is subjective but thought I would see what you all thought. Let me know what you think I am missing! K, go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I would definitely go to Oly 75mm f/1.8. One of the best lenses there is.

3. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    For wide end and if you need to use filters, you can't go wrong with the O 9-18. 45mm isn't usually my favourite portrait FOV, rather I prefer a slightly compressed 60 or 75. Since you have the 60 already, going to a 75 means you need 1.8 rather than 2.8. It's up to you to decide what you need, but your 60 is already a sharp for great portrait and macro.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ramseeker

ramseeker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2013
    Grand Island, NY
    Jim
    How about the Panny 14 and the O45? The 14 is ridiculously tiny and light (and cheap) and the 45 would give you a pretty good prime trinity of 14/25/45.

This would give you the best of both worlds - fast primes AND the zoom, and you've got the 60 for macro/portraits when needed.

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I would recommend expanding the range - either ultrawide (I love the 7-14, but it does occasionally flare and there are rumors about a new ultrawide pro grade this year) or more telephoto (75/1.8). I don't see a major advantage to the 14/2.5 beyond the fact it's small and cheap. The 12-40 is almost as fast and a better lens.

6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    In my on going quest to software-ify everyone.... Do you already have aperture or Lightroom or a similar product? And do you have any add on software such as NIK or topaz labs, etc....?

7. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    I use Lightroom as I am a graphic/web designer by trade so I already have a cloud account. I'm curious about some of the film presets out there for LR but haven't made the plunge yet. All my available cash has been going to collecting lenses ATM. ;)

8. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    You could always consider the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye.

9. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    I'm glad to hear this about the 45mm. I've been on the fence about it and since I picked up the 12-40 and the 60 I feel like even though affordable it would end up being a tweener that is never used. I really enjoy using my FD 100mm so now I am reconsidering the 75mm. Having that reach in a fast AF native prime is sounding pretty sweat right now! I also agree the O 9-18mm seems like a no brainer but I am really interested in what the ultra wide pro lens will end up being so maybe I wait.

10. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    This is mainly a matter of taste -- your taste. When I was shooting films, I had only fixed lenses. My preferred lens was the Tamron 90 mm, I used it more than the 50 mm. I also used a Tamron 17 mm a lot. I never liked my 135 mm, that's why I will probably not buy the O 75.

I'd go for a wide angle zoom. If I understood correctly, the PL 7-14 is better on PL bodies as the firmware fixes the distortion and the aberrations; I'm not sure it would be better than the O 9-18 on an OM-D body unless you postprocess the images with some software like DxO. I have the 9-18; it sometimes displays some chromatic aberrations on my E-M5 or E-PL1, but they can be easily fixed in software when they become annoying. If you think that the extra quality and the shorter focal lens is worth the price, then you might prefer the PL 7-14.

My zooms cover the continuous range from 9 to 300. I have a couple of primes too.

I bought the O45 recently. Nice lens, rather small and discrete; not a pancake of course. I can put my E-PL5 with it in a (big) pocket.

11. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    I just bought the 45mm and LOVE it! I think it's one of the best bang for your buck lenses out there and I paid $275 I think. By the way I think you can get more for your 17-55.

12. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Great input everyone. I appreciate it. Commentary on these lenses are so much more relevant when you know what lenses I already have.

I took the 60 out yesterday and shot with it as a telephoto for the first time. Had about an hour before sunset. I'm pleased with it (though the AF is a tad slow but nothing to really complain about)

I think the plan will be the O9-18 and the O45. They are the most value for the dollar and I can get both for the price of one lens dump. Then if the wide pro comes out I can switch out the other and if I get some more work I can splurge later on the 75.

Here are the 60mm shots from yesterday. Just felt like sharing! Thanks!

eva7uded.
    hasy9a7y.
    eqy5e9y3.

13. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    If you like outdoor daylight telephoto, a sleeper value of a lens is now on sale for $119.00, Olympus' 40-150r. Good color, sharp, quick focusing. It's a similar value to Olympus' 45mm: results that outpace its price. With this lens, you get a chance to shoot at 75mm to see if you'd even like a prime lens in that focal length.

I brought my 75 and 40-150r along to Florida and happened to have left the 75mm at the house. This capture isn't cropped; the lens allows one to reach out and touch a skittish subject.

p820845520-6.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    That's a killer shot! How heavy is that lens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Under 7 oz. The light weight is another feature. It's easy to have it on you, with little weight penalty when bringing it along for "just in case." .... And to think I used to bring my Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS for 'just in case." :)

16. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I would concur with Savas that the Oly 40-150 R is a highly valued lens. Very light, cheap and easy to replace and yet it's sharp unbefitting its price. This thing even beats a Nikkor 70-300mm VR at the 300mm, cause even at 150mm, it is sharp and not too shabby compared to the new Nikkor 70-200 f/4 VR! This actually shocked me completely! However, you definitely need good technique to exploit the sharpness of this lens.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Thanks again for the input all! I went for the Oly 45 for now. It actually arrives today so I will post back what I think. Hopefully I will have some time to shoot with it today! The 40-150 seems like a no-brainer. I had no idea it was that inexpensive. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Funny, I had the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L as well and I sold it to help finance my foray into m43. I just didn't use it enough, however that's probably due to its size. It was a good decision in the end. The E-M1 is getting used daily so I think it was money well traded ;)

18. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Quick shot using my 40-150r of a duck @150mm (300mm full frame) to showcase what this cheap $99 lens (on sale) can do.
    P1261410_DxO_Snapseed.

• Like Like x 1
  19. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The 40-150 is surprisingly versatile. I'm also using it as a macro lens by putting an achromatic closeup filter on it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    This is very interesting!! Which filter are you using with and where can you buy it and do you have a sample photo that you took with the filter I can look at?

Thanks!