1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What lens next?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by kleggy, Jul 18, 2015.

1. kleggy

kleggy New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2015
    Luke
    Hey Guys,

Love the wealth of information and pictures on the forum, what a find! So I seem to be in quite the pickle. Im looking at adding another lens to the bag in the coming months. I recently purchased an Oly EM-5 Mk I and a Oly 14-42 ED EZ F3.5-5.6 Pancake lens for travelling through South America. Loving the camera and has been one of the best purchases to date. Especially with the little pancake lens it was a treat when i needed to pull the camera out quickly and subtly from the jacket to snap a pic in busy crowds in Buenos Aires.

However I am home now and looking to start using the camera more. Im looking at purchasing another lens. I have been looking at the 17mm & 25mm f1.8 Oly lenses as well as the 12mm f2. I have no issues with purchasing used locally, if it works out a good deal as opposed to buying new.

I did a little bit of Long Exposure shots wile in the South and loved what I was able to achieve with the basic lens so that has me interested in some more of that photography. And because i work during the day, generally night/dusk shots are when I'm out taking photos. I enjoy taking photos while out hiking and mountain biking of the surrounding landscapes, as well as beach and cliff shots. I also enjoy taking night city scape shots.

So thats a my background of what I'm looking at a lens for. Any suggestions?

2. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
  3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    A lens is a tool to help capture an image you want. What sort of images are you trying to get that the zoom doesn't do well? In lower light levels, I would imagine there would be issues with longer focal length pictures.

Buying lenses isn't like collecting baseball cards.

4. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    But I got mine autographed... :crying:

5. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    IMO, very hard to recommend lenses. Focal length is very idiosyncratic. I'd ask yourself what focal lengths you're shooting with the 14-42. And then, do you want something wider, or longer, or brighter? I do think a fast normalish focal length lens is very useful for most photographers. Some would prefer the 17 and some the 25 in that category, but even those give quite a bit different fields of view and they really are not redundant. But, while those lenses will likely give better image quality than your 14-42, the biggest reason to buy one is you need something to use in dimmer light and or want to better control depth of field. You have the focal length covered. If you want to go longer and not spend too much, the Sigma 60 has a very good reputation. I use my Oly 60 a lot.

6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I'm sure your mother is very proud of you.

7. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Focal length preference for everyday shooting is an individual thing, obviously. I like the 35mm equivalent view, while my brother like the 50mm view for general shooting. Like SkiHound said, the reason to get a prime is for low light; you may also find the ability to blur the background is to your liking for some shots. I think you'd like a 15, 17 or a 20.

8. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Look at the 12-40 pro ... It's a ripper