What lens next from Sigma?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Andym72, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    The 60mm seems to be appearing in shops, so as always we start thinking of whats next.

Bearing in mind they will probably make another prime, and go for a focal length that makes sense on NEX (and possible not make sense on m43), I think there are 3 possibles here:

24mm - This seems like a no brainer. NEX needs a less expensive 35mm equiv option, and m43 needs a less expensive 50mm equiv option. OK, so it's not that much different in FL that the 19mm they already make, but no one though having both 28mm and 35mm on Film SLRs was odd.

12mm - An ultra wide prime on NEX, a cheaper alternative to the Oly 12mm on m43. There is a common request for a UWA prime on m43, so I would expect there is demand for one of these from the NEX community too, and the Sony ultra wide zoom is not exactly affordable. On m43, I'm sure many people would be interested in a 12mm that is cheaper, if slower, than the one we've got already.

90mm - 135mm equiv on NEX, so good for head and shoulders portraits, and a fast tele for m43.
  2. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    I don't keep up with lens news so things like this are always a nice surprise. If they've done a 60mm, I'll buy it and will then be able to leave my 40-150 at home, a completely prime bag. If they did something around 75 - 90, I would be over the moon :)
  3. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Sigma has applied for a patent for a 25mm f1.4 lens for MFT. Nobody knows if it will ever be produced, but it sure would be a welcome addition, especially if it sold for under $400.

4. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    How about their 150-500? GRIN!
  5. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    I don't see them even bothering to adapt their SLR lenses to mirrorless systems. Although Sigma get some criticism for not designing lenses natively for m43, they do at least seem to get that mirrorless or large sensor compacts are their own separate category and need different designs unique from their SLR products.
  6. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012

The lenses I'd like to see Sigma do are a fast-ish 24mm and a 12mm.

In a previous thread about "Which budget lenses is Micro Four Thirds missing?", several people discussed needing a nice fast budget standard lens. A lens like that (say, a Sigma 24 f1.8 or whatever) would really help me "sell" Micro 4/3 as a system to budget-conscious friends and relatives.

For my part, I'd like to get a nice wide angle prime--or even zoom--wider than 14mm that doesn't break the bank. I'm not saying the first party options are "overpriced", but they are out of my reach. The wider, the better... but also, the cheaper, the better.
  7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I will agree that if they come up with a 24/25mm f1.8 or faster that it would be a big seller{as long as it is cheaper than the Panasonic 25mm}. I would think even an f2 would do OK especially with the NEX crowd. If there was a 24/25mm f2 for $300 or less I would get one, especially if it was small.

Beyond a normal we need more wides and especially more teles. There are a couple of wide lenses available but only the 14mm Panasonic is affordable. So a 12mm budget lens would be very nice. Heck even a wide angle zoom with a better price than what is available would be great.

On the long end{over 100mm} there is nothing other than slow zooms, except Panasonic's promised 150mm{not due till next year}. Sigma is famous for their tele zooms so I would love to see one for m4/3. Either that or a fast prime tele.

There are also three other companies who make quality lenses. Tamron has a full range zoom coming out very soon, it was designed exclusively for m4/3 BTW. SamYang has the 7.5mm fisheye{sold under many brand names}, although it is manual focus only. Tokina has a 300mm reflex lens which is also manual focus only. With Sigma having 3 lenses now the other companies will hopefully follow suite and make more.
  8. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    A faster zoom in the 12-35 or 14-50 range would be nice. An f/2.8 would be a nice improvement on the kit zooms and a cheaper alternative to then Panasonic 12-35. Or failing that a long telephoto zoom or macro.
  9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    For the near future,
    I don't see them venturing out of their APS-C specific designs....
  10. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I'd seriously look at an 18-250 from their APS-C line. Especially at $400.

Not super fast, but combined 1-2 pancakes, that would be an awesome travel kit.
  11. speedandstyle

I wasn't thinking when I posted before but one lens I hope they make a m4/3 equivalent of is the 17-70mm f2.8-4 APS. This is a super lens for events! Nice focal range and fast enough for all but the darkest situations. It also has a macro mode{close-up at least} and is very affordable. On m4/3 it would come out as a 13-52mm or so.
  12. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Even without changing it, that gives a 35-140 range, which would be helpful for lots of people. Start with wide-ish, and end up at moderate telephoto.
  13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Make it a 12-50 and that would be the perfect lens for me. We desperately need a high-quality wider-aperture alternative to the underperforming $500 Olympus 12-50.
  14. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Sigma's patent for a 25mm f/1.4 is pretty old and strangely identical to the design of the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4. So much identical that I think ir already has been produced...
  15. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Agreed. This is the reason why I think we can count Sigma out of making an UWA lens for m43. Lets hope Tamron continue developing 'native' lenses that might mean a ultra wide from them.
  16. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Only if it will AF, but then it would be a gigantic seller!
  17. speedandstyle

I could live with that. Although for me shooting an event I would tend to go longer rather than that wide. Still I could easily survive with a little less on the long end. The aperture is very important though!
    The Olympus lens is horribly slow. I was tempted by the focal length but then saw how slow it was and how big it is. For the speed and size I decided to stick with my 14-150mm{bit faster and a little longer in size/way longer in reach}.