1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What lens for video with OM5mii?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pondball, Oct 8, 2016.

1. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Regular

I just got a new OM5mii and ordered the new 12 - 100 f4 for travel. I was told it would be useful for my video work as well, on both the M5mii but also on the new M1mii when it joins my kit! Problem is that apparently the 12 - 100 won't be shipping for another three or so weeks... and I now have a camera body without glass.

I'll be driving by a camera store (45 minutes from here) in the next few days and was thinking I should probably pick up some glass to keep me happy... but also because I want to start shooting my coaching videos. I have a wee portable studio I can set up with a white cloth backdrop, 4 light boxes and a LED video light to use. The distance I would be shooting at would be quite short... perhaps 7' - 8' at best. I need to capture full height of 8' plus a shooting width of between 6' and 8'.

I'm looking primarily at "collecting" good quality glass and eventually have my eyes set on building up with the Pro series. My old Nikon FF (D700) setup consisted primarily of "kit" level Nikors and one Sigma 105 f2.8 macro (which ended up being my best glass). I wasn't all too impressed with the Nikors once I got the Sigma so I'm looking at doing this right the first time now that I've made the move to Olympus m43.

Any suggestions?

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    If you can afford it and like wide angle why not get the 7-14 Pro. You can use it now at 14mm which will do what you need for the moment. It is a great lens, I love using it at 7mm.

3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    So you'll probably need about a 12mm lens. The better lenses in the is category include the new Panasonic 12mm f/1.4, Olympus 12mm f/2.0, Panasonic 7-14mm f/4, Olympus 7-14mm f/2.8, Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8, or the Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8.

Having said that, and for a few weeks until your new lens gets there - have you considered a web cam or maybe even smartphone video to capture what you need? Although for the latter, you may not be able to get the entire scene size you want.

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    You could get an adapter for your Nikon-mount glass if you still have them.
    12mm would be very difficult though.

I've seen some nice full body portraits with the Oly 17/1.8 but probably tight for your needs.

5. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Regular

Any suggestions on where to get the Nikon mount. I had done a few searches but came up empty. I'd really be interested in one for my Sigma 105/2.8 macro as well as it's the best glass I presently own. I like the idea of the Oly 7-14/2.8 Pro as a solution for my video as well. I'm sure I could find other uses for it! :laugh1:

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I've heard the Sigma macros are very good...

Lens adapters can be cheap, or very expensive... The cheap ones usually will let you focus past infinity, which is a bit annoying but not crippling. Here's one for $12 on eBay. I've heard K&F are OK but I've never tried one.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Nik...d=0ahUKEwioqoe3xs7PAhWCMGMKHT7mDqEQgjYItgMwCA

You will find more on Amazon... Fotodiox, Rainbox Imaging, Fotasy, and Fotaga are probably the most common... I have 2 or 3 different brands in 3 different mounts.
    K&F may be better.

Just make sure there's a decent return policy.

You can also find focal reducers, which make the focal length shorter (0.7x, typically) and the aperture brighter (1 stop, typically). These run from $150 (Mikaton, etc) to $480 (Metabones).
    A reducer on a macro may not make much sense, unless you're also using it for non-macro photos.

7. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Regular

:yahoo: I just got back from a trip to my daughters and wouldn't you know it... there was a camera store nearby! :laugh1:

I looked online and apparently they didn't have the Oly 7-14 Pro that was recommended here for the video, and beyond... but I took a chance on going anyway as it was sooooo close by.

Wouldn't you know it... that actually had one in stock (had just arrived). I got to test it out for stills and video on the store em5mii and it was sensational! No brainer decision... I bought it and another battery.

Thanks again for your assistance here folks. I'm really enthused about my new camera and glass and can't wait until my 12 - 100 Pro arrives now too!

• Like Like x 1
  8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I currently have the Voigtlander 17.5mm on my E-M5 II and it would be a nice choice for your application. Five lights is a lot for your use, you may want to start with 2 first. Be sure to have a card or panel to adjust your white balance. You are also shooting awful close to your subject while trying to get in the full picture, why? For the time being I suggest picking up a 17 - 25 mm prime and to practice shooting video. You can always rent lenses before you purchase them.

9. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Regular

Thanks dornblaser... really looking forward to getting out and getting some shots soon... as per the lighting, I was actually going on the advice of the camera store 'experts' but have since picked up an LED front light that will be a better solution. I will then be using the two soft boxes to dampen any shadows on the back screen... that's the plan anyway. I'll look into the glass you suggest but the reason for shooting so close is the space I have to shoot and know the 7 - 14 (probably shooting at 14) will allow me full body shots both for height and a wee bit of lateral movement without any issues... as long as everything stays in proportion. I plan on setting the tripod up at waist height to eliminate any distortion. Renting is not really much of an option as I live 45 miles away from the closest camera store. We used to have two smaller camera shops in town but, sadly, they disappeared with the arrival of a wally's world :(

10. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks for the details. FYI - there are a couple of good on-line sites to rent lens and cameras which might be useful if you decide to make a "B" camera. If your coaching videos have you moving around a lot you might run into problems with AF hunting. Good luck!

11. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Regular

As all movement will be lateral in this case I'm hoping I can set up Focus manually on a fixed distance (ie. 6') and then shoot at f8 or higher to retain some DoF. Not having shot video with a "still" camera before I'm assuming this will work?

12. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Obviously it would be best if you had someone running the camera. I would test until you are happy with the results.

13. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Regular

That's what I'm hoping to although I won't need to pivot the camera on the tripod... once it's running it will be in a stationary position. My lateral movement won't cover more than 5 - 6' at best. Testing will definitely be the order of the day!