What lens for the PEN-F?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gressart, Jan 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. gressart

gressart Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2017
    Hey guys! Until a few days ago I was sure I am going for Panny G85, but then I found out about PEN-F. Watched countless reviews and downloaded like a hundred of sample images. This camera has everything I need in terms of photos/video/articulating screen/DESIGN!!! and size.
    I am now looking for a reasonably priced lens. I want it to be a f1.8 lens, I had a kit lens for my Canon and it hasn't been used for years since I bought Canon's 50mm 1.8 nice and cheap piece of craft. What am I going to use my camera for? Amateur photography in general and videos for my youtube channel. So, it has to be a nice bright lens that will work for pictures, but also vlogging and videos where I would sit on a chair and talk or cook sth in the kitchen. It has to focus quickly and hold focus without hunting. What would you recommend? I am open to any suggestions. It doesn't have to be an Olly lens, but you know, it has to be a small lens that would also complement this state of art PEN-F camera.

2. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Four suggestions:
    • Olympus 17mm f/1.8 - the most stylish option to go with the most stylish body, but also great build, very good optics and small size. Perhaps the most iconic lens in the line-up as a PEN companion.
    • Olympus 25mm f/1.8 - apart from the huge 75mm f/1.8, the sharpest of the f/1.8 lenses, very crisp and detailed rendering, images really pop.
    • Sigma 30mm f/1.4 C - a bit big, but fantastic optics and great rendering; in spite of the long-ish normal, a great all-around lens. My personal favourite - but maybe not that desirable for the PEN.
    • Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7 - beats the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 (by a hair, but visibly) when it comes to sharpness, but offers O.I.S. (not that you need that with the F) and can focus a lot closer; very versatile lens.
    M.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. gressart

gressart Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2017
    Thanks for the suggestions! I like Olly and Panny options. Sigma, although great, just wouldn't fit well in my opinion. Can you perhaps tell me which one would be the best for my vlogging purposes? Prices are similar, so it's only photo and video (AF) quality that matters.

4. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Usually Vlog using zoom lens such Pana 12-35mm F2.8 or Oly 12-40mm F2.8. Hmmm like this one, he is using GX8 with 12-35mm F2.8

But if you want to stay in prime lens, either 12mm F2 or 17mm F1.8. I prefer 17mm F1.8 for price and performance.

• Like Like x 2
  5. gressart

gressart Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2017
    You guys mentioned 17mm and it is a popular lens. Yet many people dislike it for vignetting, astigmatism and distortion. What do you think about that?

6. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    "vlogging" is a vague use-case. What is your budget? What are your preferred equivalent focal lengths?

7. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    A small correction - the Panny is 42.5mm f/1.7 - but it is a great lens to be certain.

FWIW - the Panny 25mm f/1.7 is also a wonderful piece of glass and affordable too. I have not owned the Oly 25 f/1.8 so can not compare - but I really like the results I get from the Panny.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I also use the Panasonic 20 1.7. A bit slow to focus but the F is a body that screams for a pancake sometimes.

10. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    I had the 17mm 1.8 before and sold it a few years back. But when I bought the Pen-F, I picked up the 17 again to have a small walk around package. I like it enough, not in love with the combo right now.

-Joe

• Like Like x 1
  11. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    I love the 17mm f1.8 with my Pen-F. I got mine bundled with the camera body, and it instantly became my favourite lens. As MoonMind mention, it makes for a very stylish combo - especially with the metal lens hood attached.
    My next favourite lens is the 45mm, and even though sometimes the 45mm is too long and the 17mm is too short, my 25mm is rarely ever used. It's all personal preference obviously, but there's something about the images from the 25mm that just doesn't do it me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Dresden, Germany
    Can't say I've ever noticed any vignetting with mine (on the EM5 or EPL5) or any of the other issues you mentioned. For me, the lens is pretty sharp and I've been very happy with the results from it. I use it inside in low light (fantastic for family gatherings or hanging out with friends) and outside simply because it's so sharp and allows for nice DOF.

P9240040. P7060046. Silvester-2016-23.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Chris5107

Chris5107 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    The P20 focuses plenty fast for most photos that I take. If you are trying to photograph a running toddler, then go for something else. For adults and other subjects that will stand still for a moment, the 20 is my go to lens for a small prime. The 17/1.8 is great too. The 20 is a little sharper and for me, the field of view is just right. The 25/1.8 is another great lens but just a little tight for me sometimes. The 42.5/1.7 is another very special lens but is not a good single solution prime unless all you want to do is portraits.

When looking for a single prime, I go back to recommending the 20mm.

PS: I have not tried any of the lenses for video so if Video is the main issue, then I would defer to those with that experience.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Jeffcs

Jeffcs Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2017
    Toms River NJ
    Jeffrey Swank
    I plan on useing for light traveling gear so for me I went for the Olympus "trinity" 7-14f2.8 pro, 12-40f2.8 pro, 40-150f2.8 pro
    I can't beleave how sharp their lenses are
    THis coming from a Nikon D5 full frame user
    Jeffcs

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    15mm PL an excellent alternative to the 17/1.8, assuming the wider field of view doesnt bother you.

Any of the 25mm's will be excellent.

It really depends on the focal length you think you'll use.

16. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Just one final thought from me... if style and perceived quality is important to you (and if you're buying a Pen F then it probably is!), then it's worth adding that the plastic primes don't really show it off at its best. As well as my 25 and 45 work on the camera, they look cheap in comparison to the body. Maybe it's the contrast between the silver metal of the body and the black plastic, but either way the 12, 17 or 75 look so much better (in any colour).

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Never seen those criticisms... sometimes the internet is not such a reliable source of information :)

There is an awful tendency for people to accentuate the negative in their tools

I have not noticed any of those characteristics in my use of the lens... though I actually never actively look for excuses like that to cover up my photographic inadequacies :)

The 17 was something I bought when flush with cash and thought it would be 'nice' to have ... 3 or 4 years on its still my goto lens for general photography... its maybe a little narrow for the vloging thing, but thats down to your shooting style

for me its sharp

11076001295_a4f9f6da69_b. PB250019 by kevinparis, on Flickr

has a pleasant look

21493395405_1c04174c23_b. P9130067 by kevinparis, on Flickr

and is versatile

19879444802_6f58e9059c_b. P7210021 by kevinparis, on Flickr

more shots here

Olympus 17/1.8

K

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    • Like Like x 4
  19. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    1) I know you are nuts..!! :)... I know what your day job is :)
    2) Must dig out my 17/2.8... after all it was the flagship lens for the launch of the E-P1... we all went to the pana 20 very quickly.. maybe we missed something good. I was into throwing legacy lenses, particularly leica stuff on the e-p1 back then

cheers

K

20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've been on this site since day 1, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone dislike it for any of those reasons. Some people find it to be not quite as sharp as the Pana 20/1.7 but I've never heard anything about vignetting, astigmatism, and distortion from actual users of this lens. I recall reading some of that in the Lenstip review, but not from "many people".

My favorite two lenses for the Pen F are the Oly 17/1.8 and Pana 42.5/1.7.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1