1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What lens for scanning film?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by retnull, May 30, 2012.

1. retnull

retnull Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2010
    This bloke is using a DSLR for scanning 35mm negatives:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgOTk4ApEYs&feature=related]How to Scan Film With a DSLR - YouTube[/ame]

He's using a Canon 5D with a Sigma 50mm macro lens.

I'd like to try this with a Panasonic GH-2.
    What lens would give the best results? -- that is,
    close focus plus correct magnification for the negative to fill the frame?

And what about medium format negatives?
    Any suggestions for adapted lenses?

I've messed with macro shots with a reversed Panasonic 20/1.7, but the magnification is too high (and depth of field too shallow) for these purposes.

2. billy_pilgrim

billy_pilgrim Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    On m4/3, you'd have to be able to do roughly 1:2 macro, that will allow you to fill the frame with something ~34mm wide. Most any legacy macro prime can handle that. I actually have a Canon FD 50 3.5 macro on the way to me now. That can do 1:2, and FD lenses seem to be more readily available than most other makes. I guess medium format would be easier since you'd need less magnification. If you use a proper macro lens (rather than reversing a lens) it will of course be able to focus as far away as you'd like.

3. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    I have been using the 45mm Leica DG Macro Elmarit for copying B/W 35 film with good results. The lens gives very sharp images, as you may expect.:smile:

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting concept . . . :cool:

6. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    A 50mm macro is likely the simplest solution, you might want to stop down a bit to ensure that you have no vignetting. Making sure your light source is even is the other main issue.

Before I bought my Sprintscan 45, I scanned a few 'found film' medium format negs that way. It worked okay, more for fun than anything else at the time.