1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What lens for my GF1 to get Canon 50mm 1.4 results

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by dennx, Jul 28, 2010.

1. dennx

dennx Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2010
    I like the results of my Canon 50mm f1.4 on my Canon XSi. What lens should I get for my GF1 to get the same results or better? One of the new Panasonic lenses or an old one? I'm fascinated by the old lens setups via adapters, but it's a bit overwhelming looking through all the combos on this forum.

Thanks
    Dennis

2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Define 'same results'. FOV, IQ, DOF, low light, etc., etc.?

3. dennx

dennx Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2010
    The DOF, IQ and low light. I really like the bokeh on the Canon 50.

4. dennx

dennx Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2010
    Ok question revised: How about suggestions on a good 50mm equivalent on a GF1 that has good bokeh, IQ and lowlight. I've been looking online at voigtlanders, konicas and leicas.

5. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    How about using that same Canon 50mm 1.4 on the GF1 (with adapter = loosing AF functionality)?

6. photoSmart42

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Those are all good choices if you can afford them. Also look at PEN-F lenses. Voigtlanders have a bit of a harsh bokeh that some people like, and others don't. You'd be looking for something in the 35-45mm focal length to have an equivalent FOV from your APS-C sensor to the GF1. There are some nice, fast lenses in that FL that are very good, but expect to pay for that quality. Many of them are fairly compact as well, but heavy (quality = lots of glass generally), and should work with your GF1 very well. For example, the PEN-F 42/1.2 would fit your needs perfectly, but it's rare so expect to pay about $800-$1000 for it.

It's a matter of looking through the images from lenses in that focal length to determine what you like and don't like, and make your selection that way. The qualities that make a nice lens are only those you can determine personally.

• Like Like x 1
  7. photoSmart42

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    There's no adapter on the market that I know of that lets you change aperture on EOS lenses yet (Canon XSi fits EOS EF-S lenses), so he'd be losing AF and aperture functionality.

8. acmatos

acmatos Mu-43 Regular

Your 50mm f1.4 has a FOV of 80mm on the Canon XSi.

So I would suggest you as a very nice and cheap alternative the Konica Hexanon 40mm 1.8, which is very easy to find in Ebay.

I'm very happy with mine.
    Check here a portrait I did of my son:
    Blipfoto :: Antnio Carlos Matos :: 27 July 2010

And this lens has been subject of a number of threads around here. For example:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f40/konica-40mm-1-8-a-3057/
    and
    https://www.mu-43.com/f40/e-p2-hexanon-40mm-f1-8-pancake-lens-portraits-968/.

Regards,
    António

9. dennx

dennx Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2010
    Thanks for all the suggestions... I'll looking into the various lenses. Hopefully there will be more lens suggestions posted for me to check out.

Does the Konica 40mm remain 40mm FOV on the GF1? Should I be looking at 24, 25mm for 48, 50mm FOV on the GF1?

Thanks
    Dennis

10. acmatos

acmatos Mu-43 Regular

The 40mm will become a 80mm in m4/3, should have the same FOV of your 50mm on the Canon.

You have to multiply normal focal lengths by a x2 factor.

• Like Like x 1
  11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    dennx

your canon has a 'crop factor' of 1.6 and your GF1 a crop factor of 2 compared to a traditional 35mm film camera.

50mm on 35mm film was considered a 'standard' lens. 24mm was a very wide lens, a 35mm a moderate wide, and 80mm and up was regarded as telephoto

your 50mm when it is on your canon gives a FOV the same as a 50x 1.6= 80mm lens on a 35mm camera eg a mild telephoto

put that same 50mm lens on your GF1 and you will have the FOV of a 100mm lens

So if you want the same FOV you get with your 50mm on your canon then you want a 40mm lens to go on your GF1.... which will give a FOV of 80mm eg 2 x 40

I know its all confusing.. but there is a logic in there somewhere

K

• Like Like x 1
  12. six4

six4 New to Mu-43

Aug 14, 2010
    I'm surprised nobody has suggested the panasonic 20mm f/1.7 (40mm equiv on the 2x crop of the GF1). In a similar fashion to the 50mm f1.4, I find the 20mm to be one of the best lenses you can buy at a reasonable price. Not to mention you'd get the benefit of having AF since it's a Panny m43 lens on a panny m43 body. Did I mention that the lens is TINY and is a fantastic match with the GF1 body?

I have the canon 50mm f1.4, and on my crop sensor body - I found it a bit too long for my taste. At 80mm, I found myself having to step back alot to get the FOV I was looking for. It's perfect on the a full frame body though.

That said - I also have the 20mm f1.7 on my GF1 and it is a fantastic lens with excellent IQ. The bokeh is nice at f1.7, but due to the smaller sensor size and obvious being a bit slower than f1.4, the DOF won't be as shallow as something from and APS-C size sensor - even if both were at f1.4. It's just the nature of the beast.

From someone that owns a 50mm f1.4, I think you won't be disappointed going with the 20mm f1.7 panny lens

13. crcal

crcal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2010
    Honolulu, HI
    I was never impressed with the Canon 50mm f/1.4, sold it long ago. On the other hand, the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is excellent wide open.

I don't like 50mm on my 1.6 crop bodies (Canon XSi, 50D), but on full frame (Canon 5DII) it's perfect.