What L-Bracket do you use on your E-M1 II and/or III?

Coming from a Lumix G9, I don't see many options for l-brackets and cages for the E-M1 lineup. I purchased the generic one that's rebranded by different online retailers. I'm wondering what l-brack everyone else might be using.

I had a generic one at first off of Ali express. Then I bought promaster 7671 and then finally I moved onto RRS L bracket which is a $180 + tax a pop. The promaster is $60+tax and is as good as RRS which I absolutely do not recommend buying new. At current prices, that L bracket is a whopping ~20% price of a new EM1.2. Get a used one off of Keh or MPB. I found one used for $60 and went for it.

It does have one nice trick over Promaster wherein the "L" component slides in and out of the base plate creating more space between the body and L component. I am told that's for better management of cables.

I don't recall exactly how much but RRS feels lighter and quality is top notch but not worth $120+ over Promaster. The Promaster ones are getting harder to find and when I bought it, only Wolfe's camera had it in stock- YMMV. I think it comes down to how much you value the sliding L component of RRS. I hardly used it for its intended purpose but at times I did slid it out fully and held the camera like you do with those cages while filming, looks pretty cool.

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
I use a cheap one from Amazon. I think a Neewer. It fitted my mkii perfectly and fits the mkiii exactly the same.
Brian

What did the Promaster offer over the Ali Express model?
An extra mounting hole on the bottom next to tripod mount. I could attach Peak Design clip to Promaster. The Chinese one was flat on the bottom with no provision to attach those clips or anything else really. And besides that, a slight jump in the quality. The cheapo Chinese brackets from eBay/Ali express have gotten pretty good of late though.

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
I've given up on L-brackets. The RRS is probably the best, but way overpriced; the others almost all have a design prohibiting the full use of the rear lcd screen, I use that far more than I use the portrait orientation, and with the state of Olympus IBIS, the number of times I need a tripod is miniscule, and if I need portrait orientation on a tripod, I do the dreaded tilt the bullhead.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I use just the Promaster 7671 bottom plate on my E-M1 II. I works really well for my intended purpose, which is to add a little depth to the camera body so my little finger has somewhere to rest. I drilled and tapped the bottom so that I could fit a hand strap.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
I've given up on L-brackets. The RRS is probably the best, but way overpriced; the others almost all have a design prohibiting the full use of the rear lcd screen, I use that far more than I use the portrait orientation, and with the state of Olympus IBIS, the number of times I need a tripod is miniscule, and if I need portrait orientation on a tripod, I do the dreaded tilt the bullhead.
The one I have has a cut-out for the screen hinge. It's not possible to fully swing the screen out but it does swing to about 100 degrees. This allows use in portrait mode by looking down, just like a ground glass screen on a tlr. 😂
Brian

Real Name
Butch Oakey

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom