What kind of lens damage is this?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Reesebass, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Reesebass

Reesebass Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Hi everyone

Got this Canon FL 58mm F1.2 for a good price because the owner said there is some fungus in it. Was very excited to have my first really fast lens and took it to a local camera repairer to get it in to shape.
    The guy said that it's neither fungus nor oil. I didn't quite understand when he described what's wrong with it but i got the impression it's not possible to repair. It was also late so i didn't ask him to explain again. What do you guys think it might be? The stuff is on the second glass element
    form the back. Real shame because the other glass elements and the lens overall is in top shape.

Here is an image of the glass

2. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    Lens separation? Doesn't look like fungus IMO. What a shame such a wonderful lens is basically kaput.
  3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Looks like the lamination has deteriorated.
  4. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    I have had something similar before in an old lens I bought for cheap. Looking down the lens, it looked very similar to that. Didn't think it was fungus. I unscrewed the lens, wiped whatever it was off, and then cleaned the lens with a little bit of vinegar water. The lens works good as new. The substance wiped off pretty easily (looked like oil to me but not exactly sure what it was). It wasn't solidified though. Best bet is for you to try and take the lens apart. Can't hurt to try as the lens is basically a paperweight in that state right now.
  5. Reesebass

Reesebass Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Thanks for the info everyone. I think the culprit is lens separation, bummer. But still think i will unscrew it and play around a bit.
  6. mpatl

mpatl New to Mu-43

Dec 22, 2012
    a quick internet search for recementing lenses shows you'll be just fine

Send it out for repair or do it yourself if you're brave after alot of research on the compatible cementing agent ie: canada balsam or modern uv epoxy. Don't give up on it!