What kind of distortion is this?

dulaney22

Mu-43 Regular
I snapped this shot on the way into court yesterday morning. It was about 9 or so and the sun was up behind the buildings. To the eyes, the red in the flags were glowing against the red brick, so I took a quick shot. Of course it turned out rather poorly, but what is the distortion with the vertical lines? When I plugged it into LR, the vertical angle/camera position I shot with matched the closed building corner on the right. I used the alignment level tool in LR and the flagpole for a perpendicular reference. Obviously it is straight, as is the closest building corner. While I understand that depth from 3d to 2d will be skewed, is it usually this much?

I'm still really new to all this and haven't done much by way of building/landscape work, so this may be normal. This was shot with an E-P1 and the 20mm Panny lens. I straightened as noted and adjusted the exposure a touch, but did nothing by way of distortion correction. Thoughts?

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dulaney22/5058180781/" title="PA053287.jpg by dulaney22, on Flickr">View attachment 150877"768" height="1024" alt="PA053287.jpg" /></a>

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Looks all right to me. It's called "perspective" :smile:

To do better, you'd need a shift & tilt lens.

dulaney22

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks. I'm not experienced enough to know the difference . . . just didn't realize the perception shift would be this dramatic outside a wide angle lens. I guess I need to compromise the vertical lines rather than pick one straight one.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom