1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What kind of distortion is this?

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by dulaney22, Oct 6, 2010.

1. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    I snapped this shot on the way into court yesterday morning. It was about 9 or so and the sun was up behind the buildings. To the eyes, the red in the flags were glowing against the red brick, so I took a quick shot. Of course it turned out rather poorly, but what is the distortion with the vertical lines? When I plugged it into LR, the vertical angle/camera position I shot with matched the closed building corner on the right. I used the alignment level tool in LR and the flagpole for a perpendicular reference. Obviously it is straight, as is the closest building corner. While I understand that depth from 3d to 2d will be skewed, is it usually this much?

I'm still really new to all this and haven't done much by way of building/landscape work, so this may be normal. This was shot with an E-P1 and the 20mm Panny lens. I straightened as noted and adjusted the exposure a touch, but did nothing by way of distortion correction. Thoughts?

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dulaney22/5058180781/" title="PA053287.jpg by dulaney22, on Flickr"> View attachment 150877 "768" height="1024" alt="PA053287.jpg" /></a>

2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Looks all right to me. It's called "perspective" :smile:

To do better, you'd need a shift & tilt lens.

3. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    Thanks. I'm not experienced enough to know the difference . . . just didn't realize the perception shift would be this dramatic outside a wide angle lens. I guess I need to compromise the vertical lines rather than pick one straight one.

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.