1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

what JPG settings do you use for your panasonic cameras?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by hazwing, Jan 4, 2016.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I'm used to shooting RAW, so never really worry about in camera JPG settings. However, I'm buying a panasonic GF7 for my parents to use on their holiday. They're not too techno savvy, so I'm thinking to set up everything for them before they go.

What sort JPG settings do you guys find give generally pleasing images from the panasonic JPG engine?

2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

This is probably one of the most asked questions. The truth is, there really isn't any magic settings that would be the best for all situations. Your best bet is to shoot in RAW so you will have full control. If you shoot in JPG, realistically you can adjust + / - 1.5 EV before yo start creating artifacts. In RAW that increases to at least 3 EV

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    When I used to shoot RAW + JPEG I would use Natural with very little Noise Reduction. But now I shoot RAW exclusively, since I found I was never even looking at the JPEGs, let alone using them.

Mostly, it's a matter of personal preference. Most people tend to like Vivid picture styles. The saturation is an easy way to please visually.

4. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

The "Natural" setting is only applied to the JPG. RAW is just that, the "raw" data that you define as you like it. This scenario presents itself again when you have the debate over whose color is better, Oly or Panasonic? Who cares! Shoot in RAW and you can apply any camera color profile, even from Canon or Nikon or any film color profile.

The big mistake many people make is that they don't calibrate their monitor or printer when shooting in RAW.

5. Taurahe

Taurahe Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    Brandon
    For jpg in my Panasonic g7 I tweak my setting to get what I want as a end result. I am shooting vivid with +1 saturation, +1 contrast, 0 noise reduction, and +2 sharpness. So far I have been very pleased with the results. I realise that jpg will not get me the same results as shooting raw, but I don't edit everything I shoot. Experimenting is key but I think this would give you a good starting point

6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    For those who missed it in the OP, I shoot RAW myself - no need to convince me of the benefits.

However this is a camera for my 65 year old father, his computer skills are limited and I don't think he would interested in doing much post processing. I'd like for him to get generally pleasing images using JPG settings. I can see him using the selfie mode and the wifi app to transfer photos to his ipad for sharing (hopefully it won't be too hard to teach him how to do that).

I think I will start with vivid setting, +1 contrast - would be a good start

Do you have examples of photos you've taken with these settings? I'm thinking vivid and +1 saturation might be a bit overboard for my taste.

7. Estrellas321

Estrellas321 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    I looked up settings to use for my GX7. I tried and am currently using Standard with +2 contrast, +2 sharpness, +1 saturation, -4 NR. I am very happy with the results. I googled something to match Fuji or Olympus JPGs, can't remember which one.

8. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Panasonic files tend to be pretty flat color wise, so I make the following adjustments:

• Saturation: +2
    • Sharpening: :1
    • Noise Reduction: -2
    • Contrast: +2
    • Highlight: -2
    • Shadow: +2

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. Taurahe

Taurahe Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    Brandon
    uploadfromtaptalk1452004839505. uploadfromtaptalk1452004877045.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Taurahe

Taurahe Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    Brandon
    uploadfromtaptalk1452004975455. uploadfromtaptalk1452005005448.

• Like Like x 1
  11. scott rawson

scott rawson Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    west yorks
    Vivid on panasonic too much!...skin colours all wrong....for me standard +1 contrast +1 saturation +2 sharpness NR low as possible and long shutter noise reduction on ...to me looks fairly natural with nice bright colour and pop... for me lips too purple...cheeks and eyes weird pink ...much like the pentax colours

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  12. carlosfm

carlosfm Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2015
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I may be doing it the other way around but this works best for me on both my "old" G1 and LX5.
    Dynamic, with the following settings:

Contrast: -1
    Sharpening: +1
    Saturation: -1
    NR: -2

13. Eternal Newbie

Eternal Newbie Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2011
    Wakefield, UK
    Paul Hardy
    Did you see this thread from 2012?

G3 heads to Alaska

I used these settings and produced the comparison image below; the left-hand version is with the jpeg adjustments and the right hand is vanilla ooc jpg
    44049-849b68d220e07e4e3ef2f34da3555a65.

and the full (boring) scene, to give you context and scale;
    full?d=1328130612.

14. tino84

tino84 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2013
    I tried those settings wroted on a forum by a user researching for the best settings, allowing to have in jpeg about the same level of information coming from raw (accepting to take a correct exposure). He wrote he did some technical measurement to achieve those settings.

Impostazioni della GX7 per ottenere i Jpeg migliori possibili

Contrast: -1 or less
    Sharpness: -5
    Saturation: indifferent
    Noise: -5
    i.dyn: off
    i.res: off
    Highlight/Shadows as you need, but :
    * Highlights: 0 o + (never use negative corrections)
    * Shadows: 0 o - (never use positive corrections)

Settings by Sardosono, from csctalk.com (sorry, but you have to register to see the original post)
    CSC Talk - Login

I have to say, I took the best pics directly on camera with those settings, so I switched from raw+jpeg to jpeg only for the most frequently situations.
    But I also use very often the Gx7 pre-settings, using art filters a lot, IA mode, and when I know I would change some settings frequentrly, I switch to A mode.

15. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    With GX8 I'm using Natural, sharpness -2, noise reduction -1