1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What issues does too much pf removal cause?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by WT21, Nov 5, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The one thing that drives me crazy on olys and especially the em5 is pf (purple fringing in high contrast areas)

People say its an easy one click fix in lightroom, but to be honest, I dont really want to swim through LR to correct it. Develop module is really slow for browsing, so that means browsing in library, then swtiching to dev module, then scroll down to lens correction, then set the fix, then back to library module, etc. what a pain.

I could create a profile to import all pics from Oly cams with max pf fixing, but what Im womdering is this: in what other ways, besides the fix, dose the pf setting impact a pic? Does it end up desaturating purple everywhere? Whats the downside to applying pf fix to every oly image imported?

2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    You might get false positives for a fringe or over compensating?

Sometimes my color selection for the dropper makes similarly colored areas grey.

3. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks Lubov, but sadly I'm using LR, not PS.

Using the eye dropper is too local/too slow. I am thinking more about the panel in the dev module.

5. I think that the lens colour correction tools in LR work smarter than simply desaturating a colour, and I'd also wager that purple/magenta are not commonly found colours anyway.

I actually thought that it was my E-PL1 that suffered badly from PF rather than my E-M5 because I didn't have LR 4.1 when I was using the E-PL1.

6. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    Ah ok I dont know so much in Lightroom.
    The great thing about photoshop is that you can create edge masks and use luminosity masks to very accurately target CA and then control the colouring
    just where you need it.
    @Lucky Penguin I believe the purple fringing is quite common, particularly at wide apertures on high contrast edges, and more down to lens design than the sensor.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The purple can also be sensor bloom, and not just pf, though this is controversial

Chromatic aberrations

8. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    I agree*

*sentences rarely seen on forums!

• Like Like x 1
  9. I meant that purple or magenta aren't commonly found within an image as part of the content. I will regularly adjust the saturation levels of individual colour channels if I feel that one or more colours look unnatural (think excessive cyan saturation that creates sickly looking skies) and magenta is the one channel that rarely makes a difference to the overall look of an image if I was to adjust it.

10. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    Ah yes i see what you mean sorry.

Anyway for those that do have photoshop and get bugged out by purple fringing the action I uploaded above is a very good antidote, well worth a try.

11. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I have a preset that reduces purple globally by 50%. If I'm importing images that don't have a lot of purple in them then I apply this to the images upon import. My default import settings also have lens corrections enabled.

The problem with the purple fringe tool is that it operates on such a narrow band of colour (a good thing) that it's not going to really effective on many images if the fringing colour is even slightly off.

Gordon