What ISO?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by swampduck, Jun 12, 2013.

1. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    What ISO do people here usually shoot with? I have started noticing the ISO speeds of some of the photos here and was wondering. I almost always try to shoot at 200-400, but that was back when 800+ was considered high. With the newer processors and such, I am assuming 1200+ is completely fine to shoot as needed?
  2. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    As you well know, it depends on several issues: what you shoot, light conditions, whether using a tripod or similar etc.

It also depends on the amount of noise you are comfortable with, given the final size and use of your image. When you shoot JPEG, you'll have to mostly rely on your camera's noise reduction; RAW is another matter.

With the OM-D noise hardly bothers me below ISO 1250 and even 1600, for the majority of images. Up to 2500 is sometimes totally acceptable for color, when images are used online or for small prints. Above that, I almost always convert to B&W. But all this is a very personal consideration and YMMV.
  3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I most commonly shoot with 2000 Dan, although if I am at all concerned about noise, or have too much light to work with, I switch back down to 400. I experimented with 12800 the other day (or was it 25600), and while it worked, it was pretty noisy.
  4. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

I think it depends on what you need, and how you shoot. If I'm at a family party, and usually shooting handheld, I'll crank the ISO up because I'd rather have some "noise" than motion blur. But if it's something "special" I'll try to support the camera or use a tripod, in order to keep the ISO in the 200-400 range.

The newer generation of sensors and processors seem to deliver a cleaner image at high ISO, so try 1600 and inspect what you get.

BTW, I almost never use on-camera flash. I just don't like the look.
  5. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Wow, ISO 2000! I guess I will be experimenting with some higher ISO's in order to get more available light photos.
  6. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    both the newer Panasonic and Olympus (Sony) 16MP sensors are comfortable easily up to 1600. beyond that, i believe the Sony does about a stop better than the Panasonic.
    my GX1 is still rather new to me, but auto ISO in either Aperture or Shutter priority tends to hit 1600 pretty frequently in my images, and i have been happy with the results in Lightroom.
    that said, i do still shoot for the lowest ISO possible, to keep NR minimal.
  7. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    I use auto iso and have set in the parameters of my GX1 and G3, 1600 iso as the maximum
  8. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Big difference from camera to camera, obviously, but with my GX1 I try not to go over 800, about the same with the GH2, but I am more willing to go higher there (probably about the same amount of noise, but the noise from the GH2 suits my tastes more and doesn't bug me like on the GX1). With the 5D I feel fine going pretty high - even 3200 isn't out of the question ...
  9. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    If I'm outdoors in daylight, base ISO usually. Otherwise I use Auto-ISO with a 3200 limit on my EM5. Works for me ...
  10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    ISO 12,800
    OM-D with the $49 Oly Lens Cap lens.
  11. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Gary, I was hoping you would chime in, alot of your photos posted are really high ISO. I will be experimenting alot with higher ISO, I like the idea of using Auto with a limit. I will shoot the same scenes at different ISO to see where my threshold is...thanks for chiming in to everyone on this thread. Seems like most everyone likes to try for lower, but is very comfortable going up to 1600 or so
  12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I haven't a problem going up to 1600. After that I give it a thought or two about going higher. I really like low/selective light conditions which typically add drama and impact to an image. I found that careful/spot metering goes a long ways to keeping one's ISO down. I didn't dial in ISO 12,800. I was in Auto ISO and the camera went their of it own accord. When I noticed the ISO in post, I was shocked, lol.

PS- Feel free to PM me if you want an opinion, I plenty of opinions. You know what they say about opinions, opinions are like armpits, everybody has one and they all stink.
  13. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Wow, that looks great for 12,800. I recently got an E-M5 and wasn't sure about just how usable ISO 6400 was but now I'll consider using 12,800 if I'm in a pinch :thumbup:
  14. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Mirrors my take on this. But I have given friends prints of them, their kids etc shot at iso 6400, no complaints. Some shots even look better with grain, given that the noise has a pleasing character. My e-m5 has noisereduction turned off, as I find its noise pleasing in portraits and such. The e-p1 also has nice grain.
  15. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    I usually shoot with auto-ISO max 3200 with E-M5. If I'm worried about dynamic range or if I know I have to crop the image considerably then I try to stay 800 or below. I've noticed in my own test shots that even ISO 5000 can keep details very well. Iso 6400 and up will sacrifice details and colour much more. I would happily go to ISO 5000 if that is the only way to keep motion blur minimal. I remember when Olympus 4/3 series (E-520, E-3 etc.) DSLRs had very bad banding issues even at 1600 ISO. That banding was visible even if the photo was converted to black and white. And it was only 5 years ago. We really should be much more comfortable to push ISOs these days.
  16. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

I've GOT to use this lens more than I do! (re Gary on Oly lenscap lens)
  17. deejayvee

deejayvee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    As low as possible. With the GH3, I've been happy with the results at 1600 when I've needed to go there.