what is your ultimate dream camera ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by HappyFish, Nov 9, 2013.

1. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    just curious what your ultimate dream camera is :)
    with the new nikon the new fuji pro to be coming up soon ?

my must have list is
    way to use viewfinder glass so has to be mirrorless
    tilt screen with touch to focus and fire options
    nice viewfinder
    IBIS

mine is close to the OMD but wish it had
    dual card slots
    hybrid viewfinder (even if its viewfinder style with overlay)
    longer battery life
    larger sensor better use of lens and lower noise keep it 16 MP

the new nikon misses on no interchangeable screens to help focus older glass ?
    no tilt screen

if the new fuji pro can nail focus down and has tilt screen it might be something I pick up
    most likely I will get the new sony A7r but wait till the next gen just to be safe and hope they add IBIS :)

at least for me no camera is my dream yet ? not sure it will happen ? so for now I still use two styles of cameras and that is OK cause its fun to have a few dif things anyway :) its like owning a 4x4 and sports car and pickup when you need to haul your toys to the playground :)

but for daily use my OMD is the camera I grab and use all the time so its the closest :)

your thoughts ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    I want the EM1 inside a E5 body :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Rumors say next Fuji will be weather sealed, which is good. But they never seem to add a tilt screen to X cameras, which is too bad. Tilt screen is very, very useful. I think EM1 is the best featured mirrorless body, but Fuji has better IQ and low light ability. Still missing several lenses though - M43 has the best lens selection.

Sony A7... very nice, and samples I've seen look great. But lens selection will be very limited, very expensive, and longer FL lenses will be big and heavy. I will wait and watch.

My ideal mirrorless camera would be a Fuji X sensor inside the EM1 body with all its features and fast focusing. I wouldn't care about FF if I had that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    A full frame camera phone with the option for interchangeable lenses, and the option to use Google Glass or an Oculus Rift as a wireless viewfinder.

I mean, if we're going to dream. :)

I haven't found any gripes with the E-M1 yet other than their WIFI implementation.

• Like Like x 1
  5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Easy.

A Leica M240 with a Sony A7r sensor. With a tilt screen.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  6. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Phase One IQ 280... I can dream.

• Like Like x 1
  7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

don't really have a "dream" camera at the moment... just wishes if I had an unlimited budget.

* Leica M240 (to replace my current)
    * Pentax 645D *I still have my 645 system and its great glass)
    * Leica S2 (just because)

I guess if I were really to think of a dream camera, it would be a Pentax 67 in digital form with a full sized 6x7 sensor.

Take it further, a new modest home (nothing large.. just enough for 5 person family) with a built in studio space fully equipped.

Does it have to be a camera that exists?

If not, 18-200mm f/1 in the size of a cellphone... possible? So that I never have to carry anything but what I already carry and yet always have the best camera in my possession ready to shoot.

• Like Like x 2
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I would be delighted with an E-P5, it has every thing I need in a camera body, and a few things that I don't. I love the body style and size. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  9. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    The A7R is awesome...the problem is the glass. Only 5 lenses and they're priced astronomically for what they offer...they're supposed to release 10 more in the next 2 years, but I have a feeling the pricing will remain the same. The Nikon Df is a worse performer than a D800 or even a D600...basically people will buy it solely for the looks.

There really is no such thing as a perfect camera. I want TWO cameras.

Travel camera: OM-D E-M5...but with upgrades. No more sleep issue, no more idiotic MySets (give me C1/C2/C3 slots on the dial!!!), and at least make all of the directional buttons programmable...you'll notice these are all very small complaints, which means I think my E-M5 is about as close to perfect as it gets.

And a non-travel camera: D800E.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    My current cameras, thanks. I love the form factor of the EM-5. The GH3 works for my video needs. The EPM-1 is going to be replaced by the GM1. I do have GAS fantasies but, for now, I am not spending money for bodies except for the GM1 for my wife when she travels for business.

My GAS Fantasies are: Sony A7 and Leica M240. Of course, with serious glass. Don't get me started on video.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Being that I don't see much practical value in larger sensors, it'd be a weathersealed E-P5, right? (With weathersealed VF-4)

• Like Like x 3
  12. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Some of you guys are hard to satisfy. My dream camera was the E-M5 and now the E-M1 one. I was kinda dreaming of the GH3 and I like it but I wish it had 5 axis is. Also I am hearing some high pitched sound that kind of sounds like a scream outside. It stopped. I wonder wth it was and weather it was worth photographing. I missed my chance to take some nice moon shoots last night, the moon was orange and looked amazing but by the time I got somewhere I could stop and take a photo it had set.

• Like Like x 3
  13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I want a Pentax 645D in a Pentax Q body. I could have said a mu43 sensor in a Q body, but Panasonic just did that.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Medium format sensor in a tiny Lytro-styled body shooting in DNG.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    A GH3 sized body with high speed phase detection for photography, in body stabilization, and GH3 level video quality but at 4K instead of 2K. I think Sony's going to get there first with the next SLT cameras, if they can get the video codecs on their cameras sorted out. I don't think Panasonic's going to crack the PDAF code with the GH4, but I'm expecting that camera to have 4K and am curious how it'll compare to the 4K Sony cameras.

I'm finding that I get a lot of mileage out of hybrid shooting, which is limiting me from looking at Olympus seriously for much longer. The kind of leap forwards to put them in the running would be massive. I just bought a GH3 and it's reminded me that despite the (historically) mediocre JPEG engine the GH bodies have amazingly well done ergonomics. I do like the in-body stabilization of Oly and Sony, but Sony goes with a digital approach for video (I can do that myself at 4K) and the m4/3 cameras have nearly got the lens situation sorted. I could really use a 8-12/2.8 or something along those lines, but I'm not extremely upset without it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Hmm there are so many things that i want .. But lets start with the easy features that any camera maker can add, but will not.

Number One, this is for the vast number of Legacy lens users out there:
    I would like the ability to eddit EXIF data in the camera, or better yet set the lens info for the lens being used so the camera can add that information to the EXIF data as the shot is taken (when used in no lens attached mode).
    The best way would be for the camera to choose between 5 or 6 presets of lenses that you set into the camera ether, ahead of time with a cable and your computer, or can input into the camera and save.

Number Two :
    For gods sake will someone add tethering capability to a ยต4/3 camera so I can shoot it with Lightroom, like ever other Cana/nikon users can; even the Cheapest low end Canon dSLR user can do that. The Oly/Panna's don't even at-least let you plug in a remote Live view screen.
    So one would to borrow a Canon camera just to take some airal shots with a 25ft extension and remote monitor for those real-estate or other shots which require remote viewing,

now those two features should be the simplest things to add, i have others on my wish list that are more difficult and expensive probably, but I will add them later.

For now I think if the new GX7 had those two features i just mentioned, added to it, and if possible a Multi Aspect sensor used like the GH2, I would be ecstatic.

• Like Like x 1
  17. tetraphoenix

tetraphoenix Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    Bionic eyes that can take gigapixel images and ... Wait what was the question?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  18. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    you forgot the wireless brain tap to get said images still or moving out of your head and in the exact way you envisioned it in your mind :) the ultimate PS also :)

19. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I shouldn't mention this idea, because I'm convinced that it's somehow feasible - don't ask me how - but a M4/3 body like the GX7 with a modular mount system. The processor would have to be able to send electrical signals in the native code of different legacy camera systems, which it would relay through a single electrical connection to an array of modular mounts with all the pins and connections of the different lens mounts. In essence you'd have a system that could autofocus any autofocus lens, as well as set aperture. The modular piece could even communicate which system was being used simply by being mounted and the camera turned on.

20. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Dream camera? Of course if would have to work with my current lenses and flash units and have all the buttons and menus in the same place. I wouldn't mind a slimmed down FF EOS DSLR similar to the 5D MKIII but with ECF. Not fond of using wheels or screens for selecting AF points. The current CMOS have plenty of MP, high ISO and dynamic range for me so ECF is about the only thing that would make me reach for plastic.

• Like Like x 1