What is your 'system' lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by nickthetasmaniac, Feb 10, 2013.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    So as everyone knows (how could you not know, it's all we're ever told) camera systems are all about lenses, and as we here all love to declare, Micro Four Thirds has the best lenses. Ever. Obviously. :biggrin:

So, I'd like to know what lenses make the system a Serious Player for you - Micro Four Thirds' raison d'etre I supppose. Now I don't necessarily mean your personal favourite lens, but rather the ones that you think justify the system as a whole.

Please chose three (no more) and let us know why!

**disclaimer** You'll notice this is in the 'Native Lenses' forums and I've only listed lenses with a native Micro Four Thirds mount. If you want to talk about a classic Four Thirds lens or something else that's adapted, please do so in another thread :smile:

- Lumix 7-14mm
    - Samgyang 7.5mm FE
    - Lumix 8mm FE
    - m.ZD 9-18mm
    - m.ZD 12mm
    - SLR Magic 12mm
    - Lumix X 12-35mm
    - m.ZD 12-50mm
    - Lumix 14mm
    - Lumix X 14-42mm PZ (pancake)
    - Lumix 14-42mm
    - m.ZD 14-42mm
    - Lumix 14-140mm
    - m.ZD 14-150mm
    - m.ZD 15mm
    - m.ZD 17mm f1.8
    - m.ZD 17mm f2.8
    - Voigtlander 17.5mm
    - Sigma 19mm
    - Lumix 20mm
    - PanaLeica 25mm
    - Voigtlander 25mm
    - SLR Magic 25mm
    - Sigma 30mm
    - Lumix X 35-100mm
    - m.ZD 40-150mm
    - m.ZD 45mm
    - PanaLeica 45mm Macro
    - SLR Magic 50mm
    - Lumix 45-150mm
    - Lumix X 45-175mm
    - Lumix 45-200mm
    - Sigma 60mm
    - m.ZD 60mm Macro
    - m.ZD 75mm
    - m.ZD 75-300mm
    - Lumix 100-300mm
  2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    You left the best kit lens off the list. 14-45
  3. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    I knew I'd miss one of the kit lenses... Can't edit poll I don't think :/
  4. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Provocative question...

I believe that the 75mm f1.8 was the lens that made the system incontrovertibly relevant in serious gear discussions. Anyone who owns this lens knows what I am saying. It simply excels in every area of desired optical proficiency.

It is very hard to do just two more lenses. Prior to the 75mm, the lens that turned heads was the Panasonic 20mm f 1.7. It was the first lens in the system to get people to think the system had potential as competition against the big guys.

The next lens to get people excited was the 25mm f 1.4. It is one of those lenses with personality. It's not perfect but, whatever it has, I want it.

O.K. I know you said three but...please in closing let me mention...

The 45mm Olympus is simply a steal of a lens for all kinds of portrait photography. The lens would sell as many copies at $599.00 as it does at $399.00. Olympus left money on the table with that little gem.

And last just because it is so new (to me within the last ten days) I am loving the IQ I am getting from the 12mm. After reading a few mixed reviews early on I thought Olympus may have released a clunker. I was seriously wrong.

Sorry for going over the "quota" of three.

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I went ahead and voted but I don't really think you can justify a system because of it's lenses. Every one of these lenses or it's equivalent can be found in any competent camera system. M4/3 does have a slight advantage in that there are two major brands instead of just one. Every system will have a few gems as well as duds.

My vote went to the Panasonic 14mm, the Olympus 45mm and the Olympus 60mm macro. I own two of these lenses and plan on getting the 60mm very soon. The 14mm is a very good lens at a very affordable price. The 45mm is a top notch lens for sharpness and works well but it still affordable. The 60mm from what I have read/seen is an excellent macro lens as well as a short tele/portrait lens. It also has an inventive way of selecting focus range{switch on the side}.
  6. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    I ended up going with the Lumix 7-14mm, Lumix 20mm and m.ZD 75mm, the reasons being:

- 7-14mm - For two reasons I guess. First, it is for me one of those lenses that manifests all the promise of a mirrorless system, especially one with a Four Thirds sized sensor - it takes all the excellent optical performance of the original Zuiko 7-14mm and sticks it in a package that it, relatively speaking, tiny. Now, you might claim that it's one of the biggest zooms in the system, and it is, but go and compare it to any 14mm full-frame or 9mm APS constant f4 zoom. For a travelling landscape photographer this thing is phenomenal. The second reason is simply that such a serious lens came to be so early in the system's development - this gave me the confidence to ditch dSLR's and invent fully in mirrorless. I still don't think NEX has quite got this concept...

- 20mm - An odd choice, given I sold mine... I chose this because it was the lens that got the enthusiast masses seriously interested in Micro Four Thirds. Fast, tiny, cheap and so so crisp. I think this lens is almost solely responsible for MFT getting such traction in the early days.

- 75mm - For the same reasons Dan lists above - it's just so bloody good. In any 'mine's bigger than yours' ****** debate, we can just point at the 75mm and say honestly 'that is a perfect lens'.

As for a few that didn't make it... My beloved Nokton 25mm mainly because it's too niche - it just isn't particularly relevant to the masses. The excellent PL 25mm because there's to many excellent, cheap and fast full-frame 'normals' and Sigma's bringing this to the APS kids as well - good but not unique. Likewise the m.ZD 45mm is great but any APS user can grab a CaNikon nifty-fifty for <$150...
    • Like Like x 2
  7. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    I have voted for the P20, Rokinon 7.5 and the P12-35.
    The P20 is what :43: is all about small, light with exceptional image quality. I have added the bizarre Rokinon for its fun factor, this is a little cheap lens that I do not know if it exist in other systems, its makes our system very unique.
    The P12-35 is significant for moving the system into the pro event market. This lens attached to the GH3 is a DSLR killing combo.
  8. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I voted 12-35 and 35-100 on the basis that high performance fast zooms equivalent to 24-70 and 70-200/210 on FF are what many enthusiasts want to use, and between them they cover 90+% of most people's needs. Before the two Lumix X optics launched, there was a big hole in the range, which Panasonic filled admirably.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    I vote for the 7-14/4, 35-100/2.8, and 75/1.8.

The essence of micro four thirds is DSLR-like quality photography in a much more compact package. While I have not owned the 35-100/2.8, these 2 lenses are much tinier (especially if you factor in that they're both internal zooms) compared to their DSLR counterparts. I can vouch for the 7-14/4 and based on all the reviews for the 35-100/2.8, they're both able to provide excellent IQ. Kudos to Panny for this. For me, the 12-35/2.8 fell short of expectations for not having an internal zoom mechanism.

The 75/1.8 is the benchmark IQ lens for the entire system to date. The fact that it matches (some say even surpasses) the IQ of well-regarded DSLR lenses is a sign that Micro Four Thirds has arrived! Way to go Olympus!
  10. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    I have picked the P7-14, P20 & P100-300, there are plenty of other great lenses for our system, but these three will be on my camera the most.

The 7-14 & P20, I can only echo what others have been saying all alongabout these two lenses.
    The 100-300, my copy is very sharp, produces geat colours and the stabilization works a treat.
  11. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Sorry none of those do it for me. My adapted lenses are better than all of those...
    Where's that other thread? :biggrin:
  12. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Yea, I was looking for this too

That would not be an easy thread to start. But I do know how you feel. I think that my adapted lenses are better than most on that list.
  13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The Panasonic 20/1.7, Panasonic PZ 14-42 and Panasonic 45-150.

Mind you, the only one of the three I own right now is the 14-42, and I have some reservations about it at longer focal lengths. But the fact is that these 3 lenses give you DSLR quality in the smallest possible package, and that's really the point of m4/3 to me.

BTW, I noticed that prime lenses are polling particularly well in the poll. Seems as if either enthusiast m4/3 shooters are much more interested in primes than enthusiast for other systems, or there is a serious lack of good zooms...
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I think its both--in addition to the fact that many systems are lacking of good primes--with the exception of Pentax, good primes have not been a priority for APS-C DSLRs and they're forced to use lenses designed for FF instead. You can't, for example, find a fast 24mm equivalent for APS-C DSLRs.
  15. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    If you mean serious player as in lenses that a professional photographer would most likely use to make a living, as a commercial/fashion photographer, my choice would be the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8, the 35-100mm f/2.8, and the Olympus 75mm f/1.8. I'd probably add the 45mm f/1.8 after that.

I have the the 35-100mm and the 75mm, and I'm actually using the Olympus 4/3 Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 mkII as my substitute to the 12-35mm. It's actually a great lens and at 35mm, the aperture is f/3.1. Focus, of course, is slow compared to the 12-35mm, but I'm shooting people that are not moving around that much, as you can see from my website: Fotosiamo Fotografie by Joe Gunawan
  16. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    I think you nailed it down, :43: has good primes. I think that part of it is that we can carry a bunch of primes in a messenger bag. In other formats a few primes will require a trolley. :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    A slight lens error:

You've listed a "m.ZD 15mm" but there isn't one. The 15mm body cap lens isn't a Zuiko lens, it's an Olympus lens. They didn't put the Zuiko name on it.

Olympus also don't really regard it as a lens but as an accessory but I'll let that part slide since I use it as a lens :)
  18. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    I just hope you don't use it as a fast prime.:smile:
  19. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I chose the 75mm - I prefer longer lenses and all the reviews consider this an outstanding lens. Then I picked the Olympus 45mm - I love the photos this lens produces. Finally I went with the Lumix7-14 - high quality wide angle finishes the range for me. :cool:
  20. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Of course I do, on slow days when I have plenty of time :)
    • Like Like x 1