What is your photo style setting on g3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by arken21, May 14, 2012.

1. arken21

arken21 New to Mu-43

May 13, 2012
    Please kindly share your setting: ) thanks
    Just got my lovely g3. Still trying to figure out the best setting
    I know there's no best one, but would like to try the settings from pros from this forum :smile:
  2. MartinOcando

MartinOcando Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    Standard. I shoot RAW, so I don't care for photo styles.
  3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    I don't mean to be rude, and certainly this is not the first time this kind if reply was made, but I don't think replies like this move the discussion forward. To me it says "I'm shooting in a way better than your way so I don't care for your question. But I'll let you know anyway. "

Or maybe this is just me in a sour-than-usual mood. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
    • Like Like x 3
  4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    But Hyubie...Standard is one of the Photo Style choices, and a good place to start while trying to learn the camera! :wink:
  5. MartinOcando

Apr 3, 2012
    I'm sorry. You are absolutely right. It was rude from me and I have no excuse.

Now, I shoot in Standard style, since photo styles apply different parameters like sharpness, saturation, hue, etc. that only affect JPEG images. If you are happy with JPEG, you'll have to experiment with different photo styles to find the one that you like most. Or you can tweak and create your own style.
    Now, shooting RAW will allow to change those parameters in the RAW processor, meaning you will always have your unspoiled image the way the sensor saw it, for you to play with parameters all you like.

That is why I shoot RAW.

• Like Like x 7
  6. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
  7. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Water Park

I share your interest, my G3 is less than a week old. I have been shooting with the default settings; I am amazed at how good the jpegs look.

I shot this one of my granddaughter yesterday using the 45-200mm. It was overcast so it is a bit dull. No post-processing except crop and resize.

~ Lee

• Like Like x 1
  8. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
  9. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    standard; contrast=0, sharpness=2, saturation=0, NR=-1
    AWB adjust 1 notch to the left (A).

re-posting this... G3+PL25 @ f/8.0, ISO640, 0EV in Aperture priority

here's a thread you might be interested ebook about g3 settings-first-installment
  10. AnttiV

AnttiV Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2012
    I like contrasty/saturated images quite a lot, so I tend to have the setting at Vivid/+1 contrast/+1 sharpen. But as Martin, I also shoot in RAW (Well, RAW+jpg, that's why the settings are changed at all) and process my images afterwards. Coming from Sigma, which exclusively shoots in RAW only (at least my SD10 does, SD14 got jpeg mode) that doesn't bother me that much (also, I like PP).

I usually keep the camera in RAW+jpg just for the fact that that way I can show all the photos to people around me without having to process them. Also, I can skip "not-so-good" images and process only those that I deem worthy of more attention (with the SD10, I *had* to process every image or just decide from thumbnails if it was worthy of more).

All I can say is, experiment. As you said, there is no "one true setting" and almost everyone has their own favorite settings. It's easy enough to change them, so I suggest go somewhere that has a relatively good spot for taking a picture (something with lots of colors, contrast, maybe near/far items, etc.) and take a picture with each setting, look at them afterwards at your computer and see what looks best to you.
  11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There are several threads on tweaked settings for the JPG engine already - try searching for a ton of options.

I have found small tweaks to the WB and photo style make huge differences in the output - so much so that I have given up on RAW
  12. arg245

arg245 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2012
    South Florida
    Keep in mind that even if you shoot RAW, you will see the actual processed jpeg on your rear LCD, so any adjustments you dial in to the "picture style" will show.

I echo what AntiV says, and also shoot RAW + jpeg, although I use a small high quality jpeg instead of a full size.
  13. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    standard; contrast=+1, sharpness=+1, saturation=+1, NR=-1
    AWB adjust 1 notch to the left (Amber)

This is mine setup as I like vivid images :) I like jpgs form G3 as they are farly more better than form my Nikon D90...
  14. MartinOcando

Apr 3, 2012
    Better results out of the camera is no reason to give up on RAW. A properly processed RAW can reproduce exactly the same image than any JPEG. The good thing of RAW is that you are saving tons more data that what the JPEG is. More dynamic range, unsharpened, no noise reduced image. In case you want to revisit your favorite images in the future, you will be very sorry you didn't shoot RAW.
    I would advise for anyone, even if you don't care about RAW, to shoot RAW + JPEG, just for backup purposes. You will remember my words in the future and will thank me.

If you don't believe what I say, read this article: Understanding RAW Files Explained