What is your opion of tilt shift Lensbaby?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ke7dbx, Oct 19, 2011.

1. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    What is your opinion of the Lensbaby system? I am looking for economic option for tilt shift photos. Most I see I can use adapted on my camera on ebay. Tends to be $1000 or more used.

True Lensbaby is no pro grade like the units I see on ebay. Yet it is cheaper by a lot.
  2. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I love my Lensbaby Composer with Tilt-Transformer.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Timm

Timm Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    I really like mine and need to get out and use it more. It only tilts the lens but does not shift it, so is probably not very useful for architectural photography like those $1000 units. It allows attachment of a Nikon mount lens to get the miniature effect of tilt-shift as well as comes with the Composer system that allows you to get all the effects Lensbaby is famous for. A quick search on Flickr will yield tons of interesting stuff taken with both.
    Of course it is all manual focus as well as aperture.

[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="P1010706"></a>
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    Ive always been curious to what it actually does...
  5. Timm

Timm Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    The tilt portion of the tilt transformer is just a ball joint that can move the lens mounted to it. Tilting the lens takes the focal plane from being across the entire sensor to just a slice of it. So you get an area that is in focus usually in the middle and out of focus areas on both sides. This mimics the very shallow depth of field in macro photography and gives the miniature effect. There are a lot of better examples out there that my shot above. Some are done using software post production.

Here is the link to the best I've ever seen taken with the Lensbaby Tilt-Transformer

• Like Like x 1
  6. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
  7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    It seems like a lot of fun..maybe time to drop some hints about wanting one for Christmas.. ;)
  8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Like every other Lensbaby, it's absurdly over priced for what it is. The materials and manufacturing cost for those products can't even be 10% of what any of the Panasonic of Oly lenses cost, yet they sell for prices commensurate with those conventional optics.

If my business had Lensbaby's margins, I'd be rich.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Hmm I'm surprised that no one else has gotten into it then. Why aren't their hordes of made-in-China knock-offs on Ebay? Anything with decent margins tends to get imitated quite quickly (if it's really that cheap to make).

Edit: ah i will correct myself...there are indeed adapters. Maybe a newer development. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shift-Adapt...335?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf9eb7977

So with an appropriate nikon lens would this be equivalent? An attractive price but a fair amount to spend if it doesnt work i suppose.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    To me it's a very expensive one trick pony. It's sometimes neat to use but so expensive. There are other ways to achieve the affect.
    To me it's just not worth the money.
  11. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    The good thing with the Lensbaby is you can use their composer with the Tilt adapter, so you get access to their other "fun lenses". Other third parties do the same thing for much less money, though... Also not mentioned, but you can find many examples on this forum, is Adriano Lolli's adapter (Adriano Lolli).

The ability to play with the focus slice can be used bothways - it also means that things that should NOT be in focus together can now be.
  12. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
  13. JohnMoeleker

JohnMoeleker New to Mu-43

Aug 25, 2011
    This is the maximum effect

Pen with pana 45-200
    Pen with lensbaby and old Nikkor 2.0 85mm

Attached Files:

14. maxsoul

maxsoul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Here is a sample of freelensing Not the most elegant solution, but for a once in a while shot. I think this is a pretty good result.
    BTW I shot this with a minolta md 50mm f1.4 lens and here is another tip about freelensing http://www.bhinsights.com/content/how-freelensing.html
    • Like Like x 5
  15. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    neat effect..though I would worry about dust long term. And I did end up ordering the adapter I mentioned earlier..I'll let you know how it works out!
  16. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    They look like a fun toy. I got a tilt shift app on my mac for $2. I wouldn't mind trying one in real life.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  17. rewebster

rewebster New to Mu-43

Nov 1, 2011
    York, UK
    I was fortunate enough to win one in a competition. The composer doesn't do anything for me, but with some decent Nikon glass stuck on the tilt transformer you can have a lot of fun.
    That said I definitely don't think it's worth the $350 price tag, but I'm a tight fisted git :D
  18. cannedpineapples

cannedpineapples New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2011
    let us know! looking forward to it :)
  19. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Just for clarification, these are tilt adapters. They have no shift. Those two movements are very different.
  20. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Hey guys I thought there was interest in those third party adapters..I wanted to use my OM lenses and it was a small fraction of the cost of the lensbaby.

Here's some shots..will get back to you with some more thoughts when I have a chance. https://www.mu-43.com/f40/om-tilt-adapter-sample-shots-18138/#post170016