What is your NR setting in Lightroom?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by F/Stop, Nov 13, 2013.

1. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    Hello to all. I am curious as to what everyone is using for their base NR settings in Lightroom? Currently i have a preset with the luminance slider set to 10.

Im sure that you would use a different setting for higher iso's. so i would like to see how far some of you push the NR...
  2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think responses may well depend on the camera bodies people have. I have an E-M5 and use a preset with the luminance setting set to 15.

I've also heard there's a little less noise from the E-M1 which could explain the difference between our settings but the small difference between our settings could just as easily come down to differences between our monitors, our exposure practices, our tastes, and differences in the quality of our eyesight. I'm really not certain you'll gain much from this discussion.
  3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I rarely go over 10-20 even for high Iso on Gx1. I do however go over some background areas with adjustment brush with more noise reduction and negative sharpness and clarity.
  4. BlackOakMo

BlackOakMo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Oxford Mississippi
    Interesting, I never thought to us NR/luminance slider to help smooth out the background before (not sure how to do that with the brush though). A good tip to know. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Mu-43 mobile app
  5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    It's very easy. Click off the box so the brushed areas show as red and adjust brush size as necessary to cover all areas you need. How thorough I am depends on how much I care about the photo. Usually it's about 50-70NR and minus 50 or so sharpness and minus 20 clarity.
    Cleans up high ISO photos pretty decently with not too much work IMHO:
    ISO 6400

ISO 3200
    • Like Like x 4