1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What is your favorite lens for E-PL1?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Rider, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    So far I've only tried the 14-42 kit lens, which is fine except for the obvious issues (rotating front element, jerky AF during video, slow aperture).

I was wondering what m-43 lenses out there shine.

2. andy_jansen

andy_jansen Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2010
    Herten, NL
    I really enjoying shooting pictures with my Panasonic 20mm Pancake.

No experience with shooting video (should you a camcorder for that IMHO).
    I also own the oly 14-42 kit lens, but I'm not really happy with pictures in low light.

Big advantage of the panasonic 20mm pancake is that the camera becomes pretty compact.

3. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    i think i've really enjoyed using the 9-18 wide lens a lot, but have also loved using the manual konica hexanon 40mm! even though it's an 80mm focal length in 35mm terms, it is nice and sharp and gets some nice colours.

i've tried using an old nikon lens but it was very sharp and seemed to have a lot of CA wide open...plus it operates the opposite way to the other manual lenses i've used (focus is other direction)

4. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Which Nikon lens was that?

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

From my sig you will see I have all Panny lenses - they hold the top end of the market in :43: imho. I would not like to pick between them as I like variety so ask yourself which photographic need is not being met by the kit lens and buy accordingly. The good news is there are no bad :43: lenses.:smile:

6. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    I tried the Panny 14-140 in a shop. Mounted on GH1, it focuses amazingly fast. How does it do on the E-PL1?

7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

OK it's after 8PM here so test was in my office. The E-PL1 was slower to focus than the GH1. In good light I would expect them to be much closer. The Oly 14-150 may be worth trying.

8. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Thank you. I'm really looking for a companion to my Oly 14-42. I love the fact that it collapses, but need faster less abrupt focusing. Faster aperture would be great too.

9. PowderDave

PowderDave Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    I love the panasonic 20mm for general, but use the Olympus 17mm where i need extra width indoors or landscapes. I find the speed and brightness makes it more useable.

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The 17/2.8...its fast enough, sharp and tiny...and did I mention pretty cheap as well?

11. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    20mm and the panny 45-200