What is your favorite lens and WHY--2 part question???

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Dakota, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Dakota

Dakota Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2016
    Burson, Ca.
    Bill Cook
    Most everyone has a lens they use the most and is there favorite. PART ONE--- What lens is your favorite lens for everyday use (walk around)? PART TWO-- What lens is your favorite zoom or prime lens for distance shooting? I know the camera can also make a difference and do you have a favorite camera for one or the other part of this question?
    I myself am in a learning and research mode to figure out what to buy when the time comes. I am looking at both Panasonic and Olympus cameras there is a great selection to choose from. I do not do much video at all primarily stills. Looking to spend under a $1000.00 for the camera plus another $1000.00 for a good lens for a walk around lens to start. I know the lens came be what creates outstanding pictures as well as the person taking the photos as quality speakers do for a stereo system. I have had Canon, Nikon, Pentax before have to go to I smaller camera because of age and back issues. These cameras seem to be the way to go to solve all my problems. Will be ordering one before Xmas this gives me time to learn these cameras and lenses.. This forum is great source of info and it is appreciated greatly. Your feedback and your knowledge is a great learning tool Thanks to all Bill

2. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Hmmmmm... My favorite walk-around lens used to be the 12-40 Pro. It's been my workhorse for years. Currently though, the 12-100 Pro has been glued to my E-M1 Mkii. It's so amazingly versatile and capable. It's now the backbone of my kit.

Favorite telephoto has to be the 300mm Pro.

I do have plenty of honorable mentions... I really like the new 25mm Pro's IQ, and the 60mm macro is just fascinating to explore with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Aperture Don

Aperture Don Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    The Oly 12-40 f/2.8 pro is most definitely my favorite lens. I also have the Oly 40-150 f/2.8 pro plus the MC14 for telephoto use. I prefer the 40-150 over my PL 100-400 if I don't need that extra reach. My camera body is the E-M1 MK II, but I also had liked my Panasonic GX8 which should be closer to your budget. So, I would recommend either the 12-40 f/2.8 or the 12-100 Pro for your lens and either a Panasonic GX8 or an Olympus E-M1 - version 1 for a camera body to keep you within budget. You may even have enough left over to buy an Olympus or Panasonic 25mm fast prime for low light situations. And, of course, there are a lot of other good bodies within your range such as the Pen F or the soon to be announced E-M10 III. I'm waiting for a price drop to buy a Pen F as a backup body for travel. I'm in no hurry since I don't have any trips planned.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  4. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    So the part 1 is easy, and my lens use statistics confirm this, the 12-35f2.8 is my favourite walk around lens. I have a 12-100f4 as well and I really like it. But, the one I am more likely to pick up is the 12-35f2.8.

And my favourite long lens is the 150f2, not everyone's cup of tea. But in the range that you are likely more interested in the Panny 45-175X lens is great. Super lightweight with good performance.

I have an E-M1-II and it is a great body but for walking around I like the Pen-F + the 12-35. There is something about the Pen-F that really works both aesthetically and functionally.

5. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I'd look at that a little differently. $2000 to spend on a camera kit - maximize the possibilities.

Buying used/refurb
    Bodies to look at: E-M5ii, G85 and a host of others. You could get two bodies for under $1000.
    Lenses: 12-xx 2.8 zoom + xx-300 zoom + Oly 17/25/45 or 7.5 fisheye or Panny 14/25. If you went with one body, then the extra could go for the Panny 15 or Sigma 30 1.4 or Oly 60pro

Edit: If you went with a used E-M1 you can then look at the 4/3 lenses.

TL/DR: $2000 can make a fine mft kit.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    #1 12-40 Pro (on an E-M5, either version). I started m43 with a 12-50 but after renting a 12-40 for a trip abroad I bought one as soon after as I could justify the purchase.

#2 Addicted to longer focal lengths as I am, this is way more complicated. As I have had them available to me I have used (happily and with good results) the O40-150R, the P100-300 (v1), the O40-150 Pro (with & without MC-14) and the O300/4 (also with & without MC-14). Note, if you will, the clear progression in price. I gave the 40-150R to my son along with an E-M5 (1) but, if I were going traveling and wanted some casual, light-duty, light-weight long reach, I would buy another in a flash. If I felt I might need something a bit more serious than that, I'd choose the 100/300. Of the bunch I've named, though, I suppose my favorite long lens for general purpose imagery is the 40-150 Pro, simply because I trust it to be the most useful in the widest range of situations. The 300/4 doesn't answer many of your issues but it is, in a word, special.

I use an E-M1.1 for the long lens and an E-M5.2 for general walkabout. If I were forced to choose only one of those, I would take the E-M5.2 which I feel works in a slightly wider range of conditions.

7. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus loser Subscribing Member

Nov 16, 2010
    P1: Panasonic 15mm 1.7, it's small yet brilliant quality in every way. 28-35mm equivalent fov is my comfort zone.
    P2: Olympus 75mm 1.8, small, fast, sexy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    +1 for the P15. It delivers sharp and contrast-rich results. If you like wider focal lengths and prefer primes, it's the best. For wide and a zoom, the O9-18 is hard to beat. Not fast, but outdoors, rarely a problem, and very good results for a reasonable price.

9. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking Subscribing Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    Favourite lens has to be the 12-40 f2.8. it always delivers and is great for close up shots.
    I have recently been using the Olympus 14-150 mkii and it is a very versatile lens and is plenty sharp enough for everyday walk around lens even if it is a bit slow.
    Long lens has to be Olympus 75-300 mkii but I don't really shoot much with long focal lengths. I did have the 40-150 pro with 1.4 extender but found it a bit too heavy and the Bokeh was very busy in some shots .
    If I want fast I use the Panasonic 25mm f1.4, it has smooth rendering and pin sharp.

10. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    While it's not a very glamorous admission, it would unquestionably be my Panasonic 14-140 (version 1). It's heavy; it's slow; it's a bit soft on the long end; it vignettes on the wide end; it's not weather-sealed. It's almost no one's idea of a dream lens. But it gets out of the way and lets me concentrate on composition, no matter where I am or what I'm shooting. In many ways it is a lens that destroys excuses. If I can't make a good picture with it, it's my fault, not the equipment's. I certainly can't say "oh, I didn't have the right lens with me."

Honourable mention is the 20mm/1.7 as a stalwart partner in any low-light situation, and the Bower 7.5mm/f3.5 fisheye which never fails to get the creative juices flowing, producing pictures that I could not take any other way.

But in terms of the "default choice" that I'll always take for a photographic trip of any length? A superzoom, no doubt about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Walk-around:
    9-18
    No other lens is this compact and this functional at this price point for family vacations. It's super wide when it needs to be and zooms into a pretty normal 35mm eq. It still needs friends, so I have the 3 lens travel kit, but the 9-18 does things no other lens in any other system does.

Long Tele:
    P100-300 -- WOW (but I don't currently own it :(

My m43 kit is optimized for vacation travel, and the reason I use m43 is because of the 9-18. Fuji and Sony have nothing like it (Canon does, but, well, it's EOS-M)

12. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    #1 - pretty much a tie between Oly 9-18 and Pany 12-35

#2 - PL100-400 (love my Oly 75-3ooII for small travel also)

13. JamesD172

JamesD172 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 18, 2016
    James Dolezal
    #1 - Oly 17. It's a nice focal length for general use; restrictive enough to inspire creativity, versatile enough to take a wide variety of shots. I tried the PL15 for a while but didn't get along with the FL as a general-use lens. I also love the Oly's compact size, metal build, and that it makes my E-m5 II feel like a solid, small, retro camera.

#2 - Longest lens I own is the 75 1.8, so I'll have to go with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Aperture Don

Aperture Don Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    As you can see from the replies, the answers are all over the board. Since most of the MFT bodies and lenses are so good that I think that you would probably get better information if you started a thread that asked which bodies and lenses should be avoided. Something like, "Which MFT bodies would you avoid, and which MFT lenses do you like the least?" This, of course, could start some arguments since some of us like equipment that others do not.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. This would also be my situation. I almost always have my 7.5 Rokinon on one of my E-M10's also.

• Sad Sad x 1
  16. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    My Favourite lens is the oly 12-40 pro, but the one I seem to be using most for convenience is the Panasonic 14-140 II.
    I find it disturbing that I sacrifice some perceived IQ for convenience.. Oh well...

• Like Like x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  17. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

1. 12-40 for a single lens walkabout. It does everything (even pseudo-macro), IQ is great, with weather resistant peace of mind on my E-M1.

2. 45-175 for reach when I need it. Can't really beat the compact non-extending size for the reach and decent IQ, if you can get over the electronically coupled zoom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    My most used lens is my 12-40 but my favourite lens changes every time I spend money... At the moment it's the minolta mc-rokkor pf 57mm f/1.4 with a focal reducer. Is it sharp? Not hugely. But boy it has character, and bokeh to die for.

Edit: telephoto wise, it's the Panasonic 35-100 f2.8. Great performance in a small package. Bokeh is a little off towards the edge of the frame, but for convenience and all round quality, it's amazing.

19. mmmartin

mmmartin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2017
    Manila, Philippines
    The Panny 20/1.7. I've used this lens for about three straight years. 40mm is a nice focal length. If I need to go wider, I've got the 12-32, which I usually set to 14mm. Or just 20 again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Panny 42.5/1.7 is what I use for street, but for true distance shooting (which usually means birds or abstracting city textures), I've got an Oly 40-150/4-5.6.

20. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    1. Panny-Leica 42.5mm/1.2 Nocticron
    2. (if outdoors or not restricted by space) Olympus 75mm/1.8

Both because of the amazing sharpness, contrast, and ability to "bokeh"

• Like Like x 1