WHat is your Favorite Aspect Ratio?!

bashar

Mu-43 Regular
What is your favorite aspect ratio?

Mine "by preference"

A-3/2 "i feel comfortable shooting in 35mm style"
B-16/9 "very interesting and cinematic"
C-4/3 "remind me a bit of my point and shoot and it looks odd on my monitor, trying to get used to it!"

AlanT

Mu-43 Regular
I find 3/2 a bit of an odd shape - a bit too in between. I like either the (slightly) squarer format of 4/3 (especially for vertical images) or 16/9 for a proper panoramic style.

Rich M

Mu-43 Veteran
What is your favorite aspect ratio?
I only shoot in 4:3....and it comes down to print size and cropping. If you want to print at larger sizes - 5x7, 8x10, 11x17 - then the 3:2 aspect ratio becomes problematic....you just lose too much of your shot in the crop.

steve

Mu-43 Veteran
I use 4:3 with mu43 and 3:2 with my dslr. Sometimes in post, I'll crop to a different ratio if the image calls for it.

pete

Mu-43 Regular
Ima 3:2 to start, today I shot in 6:6, but it doenst matter, when im in LR or PP I crop it to death and I dont care what I end up with....

Pete

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
I like 4:3 primarily... with more recently 1:1 becoming a 2nd favourite. I used to really like 16:9 but haven't used it recently.

Cheers

Brian

kai.e.g.

Mu-43 Regular
I use 4:3, but also 1:1 quite often. I used to prefer 3:2, but no longer see the point. That said... I've recently become interested in doing a seriously "lo-fi" photography project, which would involve direct printing via PictBridge from the camera to one of those Polaroid PoGo no-ink mini printers. The quality of the printing is a little less than so-so, but that's the point of it! Anyway, these printers produce tiny 3 inch by 2 inch adhesive sticker prints... perfect for sticking into little blank pocket-sized book. So that 3:2 ratio may come back for a while...

jhob

Mu-43 Veteran
I use 1:1 a lot and often crop to 16:9 in post, rarely use 3:2 unless for printing and probably use 4:3 most of the time. My favourite is 1:1. Could we have a voting button for it?

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Definitely 4:3, but 5:4 would be a close second. I dislike 3:2 immensely, it's neither one thing or another and was one reason I changed from 35mm to MF in film days.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
The question was which aspect one preferred. That as the question, my original answer is still true, 3/2.
As some are answering as to which aspect they are using, my answer would be 4/3.
It's a 2 part question for me.

Alan Wolf

Mu-43 Regular
square!

Where is 1:1???

I actually don't have a favourite as it depends on what I'm capturing at the time but if I had to pick one it would be 1:1.
I'm with him. :smile: 3:2 next, then 16:9; don't really like 4:3 as much. With rare exceptions I like to stick to the given format; I used to crop freely, then decided it was more appealing to try and get it how I wanted it in camera. (This is obviously my own neurosis...) One of the things I love about these m4/3 cameras is how I can do it on the fly, depending on what I'm shooting.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom