WHat is your Favorite Aspect Ratio?!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bashar, Mar 6, 2010.

1. bashar

bashar Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2010
    What is your favorite aspect ratio?

Mine "by preference"

A-3/2 "i feel comfortable shooting in 35mm style"
    B-16/9 "very interesting and cinematic"
    C-4/3 "remind me a bit of my point and shoot and it looks odd on my monitor, trying to get used to it!"

2. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

I shoot 4:3 with my GF1 all the time.

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Mine is 3/2 because I used it for so long...but I'm starting to like 4/3...

4. AlanT

AlanT Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    Perth, Scotland
    I find 3/2 a bit of an odd shape - a bit too in between. I like either the (slightly) squarer format of 4/3 (especially for vertical images) or 16/9 for a proper panoramic style.

5. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I only shoot in 4:3....and it comes down to print size and cropping. If you want to print at larger sizes - 5x7, 8x10, 11x17 - then the 3:2 aspect ratio becomes problematic....you just lose too much of your shot in the crop.

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Would someone consider posting an example of each using the same photo, if possible?

7. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    I use 4:3 with mu43 and 3:2 with my dslr. Sometimes in post, I'll crop to a different ratio if the image calls for it.

8. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Mine is becoming 16 by 9 - and I'm the only one so far - ????!!!!

9. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    Ima 3:2 to start, today I shot in 6:6, but it doenst matter, when im in LR or PP I crop it to death and I dont care what I end up with....

Pete

10. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    I like 4:3 primarily... with more recently 1:1 becoming a 2nd favourite. I used to really like 16:9 but haven't used it recently.

Cheers

Brian

11. ballfresno

ballfresno Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    West Sussex, UK
    Where is 1:1???

I actually don't have a favourite as it depends on what I'm capturing at the time but if I had to pick one it would be 1:1.

12. kai.e.g.

kai.e.g. Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

I use 4:3, but also 1:1 quite often. I used to prefer 3:2, but no longer see the point. That said... I've recently become interested in doing a seriously "lo-fi" photography project, which would involve direct printing via PictBridge from the camera to one of those Polaroid PoGo no-ink mini printers. The quality of the printing is a little less than so-so, but that's the point of it! Anyway, these printers produce tiny 3 inch by 2 inch adhesive sticker prints... perfect for sticking into little blank pocket-sized book. So that 3:2 ratio may come back for a while...

13. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

I use 1:1 a lot and often crop to 16:9 in post, rarely use 3:2 unless for printing and probably use 4:3 most of the time. My favourite is 1:1. Could we have a voting button for it?

14. aznick

aznick Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2010
    Arizona USA
    I'm using 4:3 for the maximum number of pixels.

• Like Like x 2
  15. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Definitely 4:3, but 5:4 would be a close second. I dislike 3:2 immensely, it's neither one thing or another and was one reason I changed from 35mm to MF in film days.

16. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The question was which aspect one preferred. That as the question, my original answer is still true, 3/2.
    As some are answering as to which aspect they are using, my answer would be 4/3.
    It's a 2 part question for me.

17. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    square!

I'm with him. :smile: 3:2 next, then 16:9; don't really like 4:3 as much. With rare exceptions I like to stick to the given format; I used to crop freely, then decided it was more appealing to try and get it how I wanted it in camera. (This is obviously my own neurosis...) One of the things I love about these m4/3 cameras is how I can do it on the fly, depending on what I'm shooting.

18. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

Having just come from large format, I'll have to say 4:5. Prints nicely to 16:20 or 24:30.

19. kai.e.g.

kai.e.g. Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

oris642, wow... large format straight to m4/3rds, without any detours along the way. That's quite a leap!

20. kilofox

kilofox Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2010
    Western Michigan, US
    Someone set me straight. If you shoot raw you have no choice but to shoot 4:3, right?

Thanks!