1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What is wrong with this image?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by juangrande, Feb 14, 2013.

1. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I am using a new flash(YN560) on the EM5. Doing some test shots, I'm getting this line of demarcation for some reason. I'm using the variable 14-54 MKII, have tried different zoom settings on the flash, different intensity, etc. Is there something I need to do to camera settings? Help please? The photo was shot @ 54mm at approx. 6'. Update: I think I figured it out. Shutter speed is to high. Looks like I can only go to 1/400 or so.

Attached Files:

2. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    Your exposure time on this shot is 1/500 of a second. It is too fast for your flash and what you are seeing is a curtain closing before the whole sensor is exposed evenly. Unless your flash supports high speed sync you need to limit your shutter speed to your flash maximum sync speed which should be indicated in the manual (usually 1/200 - 1/250 or so).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-M5 has an X-sync speed of 1/250s.

The consumer-grade Pen cameras have an x-sync of 1/180s.

• Like Like x 1
  4. juangrande

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    It appears from practice shots I can get way with 1/320 w/o much noticeable difference. I'm shooting bellydancers tonight and need to stop action. I'll put the EM5 on M and set the aperture around 5.6 and SS @ 1/250 or 1/320. By the way, the 14-54 is doing a pretty good job of focusing in practice shots indoors with ambient light (dark translucent shades down, no light on.)

5. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    E-M5 has High Speed (FP) mode as well that goes higher than 1/250 but the flash must be compatible and support it.

6. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    This setting will stop the motion. You will only get light from the flash the ambient light will not be recorded at this shutter speed. (Assuming this is club type of light).
    If there is allot of light you might try shooting without flash while setting the lens to f/2.8.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    If you are using flash to freeze the action, why don't you cut more light using smaller aperture and use compatible shutter speed? Or are you using flash to fill?

• Like Like x 1
  8. juangrande

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I'm unsure of the lighting. It's a small local restaurant so I'm thinking they'll just have some ceiling incandescent lights on. Definitely not spots like the last time they danced. That time I used no flash w/G3 and 25/1.4 tripod mounted. Had to shoot in BW as the WB was horrible. It was very difficult with spotlights as the contrast presented focusing/exposure problems.I think my bedroom with the shades drawn is close to what I'll get tonight. If I do OK, I'll post some tomorrow. Thanks everyone!:thumbup:

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You can stop action using the X-sync of 1/250s. The short flash duration itself will freeze the action of the captured image, not just the shutter speed. If you have a strong enough flash, it will freeze your action even where the shutter speed would not be able to otherwise. It will also greatly sharpen your capture.

It's just like if you leave your shutter open (ie, like in bulb mode) in the dark then flash a scene of light (ie, like lighting, flash triggered by the noise of a gun firing, etc.). The camera will only capture what's seen in that short duration of light, not much of the time it was in the dark. When you use strobe lighting (ie, flash or monolights), the camera will capture that instant of flash and the action will be frozen by it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Which ISO are you using. You can raise it to at list 1600 without getting too much noise.

11. juangrande

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    ISO is 1600 in the practice shots. It's on auto.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you want to freeze more action at X-sync then, increase your flash intensity and reduce your ISO.

13. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What Ned said. The flash is ~1/10000 of a sec or faster so that will stop all but the fastest belly dancers!

I also like to use 2nd curtain setting so if there is any blur from ambient at least the results are a bit less distracting.