1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What is up with Ebay...and does the Panasonic 14-42mm kit lens have a rattle?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pxpaulx, Dec 28, 2012.

1. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    So I have around 450 feedback on ebay and 100% positive. Buy and sell my fair share of camera gear and electronics and take a little pride in my feedback. Well, I sold my G3 kit to help cover my D600 purchase, including the 14-42mm kit lens. I usually offer returns but only if found to be not as described (no buyer's remorse).

First time ever I get a message saying that there is something wrong with the lens - this was the message (the important part anyway) - It is quite stiff to zoom and something is loose and rattling around in it. If you shake it it
    rattles. It is not supposed to do this, of that I am sure since I have
    owned other camera with this lens. The camera seems to work fine.

They initially want a full refund, and initiate an ebay case within 12 hours of sending this message (which was sent at 7pm on a friday for some additional context). So, I basically can't use paypal for the week while this is being dealt with (ok, that was the rant section, done with that!).

After filing the case Saturday morning we messaged back and forth and came to an agreement to just return the lens for a partial refund, however since I accepted the case resolution to be a full refund upon return, it doesn't give me a partial refund option. I also couldn't refund the money because it was held in my paypal account (I did have about $100 in there prior to the case opening and would've had the funds to cover the partial amount we settled on).

So, I get the lens today (more on that in the next paragraph), and have to call ebay to have them change the case from full refund to partial refund. I'm on the phone for a half hour, they eventually say it will be resolved in a few minutes and to watch my account. Sure enough it was resolved....only the message I get is they refunded the $80, released all of the money held in paypal and require no further action from me...essentially they refunded the buyer and aren't asking for repayment - is this just a hidden policy that they charge off to make both the buyer and me (the seller) happy since I've otherwise had a perfect track record?

Second question - I've owned many, many lenses of varying build quality and values over that last 6-7 years - most of them make some sort of rattle or shake or some noise or another if you shake it (be it a spring, a lever, a ring or any other number of things) - I looked over the 14-42 they returned, and it is perfect looking, no sign of wear or abuse, the zoom is the same as previous panasonic 14-42mm kit lenses I've owned (that is to say somewhat plasticky and cheap). It zooms fine, takes photos perfectly fine at multiple apertures. It does have a little rattle going on when shaken though - so, to any 14-42mm owners out there - is that normal? Or is it possible they just didn't want the kit lens in the first place? I can't imagine hatching such an elaborate scheme to get out of my 'no buyer's remorse' return clause!

2. The floating elements in Panasonic OIS lenses rattle when the lens is not powered (at least they did prior to the "X" lenses; I'm not sure if they work differently). I'm afraid that your buyer is on a hiding to nothing if they want a Panasonic camera with a 14-42 kit zoom that doesn't rattle.

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I thought I heard it in my 100-300mm as well. No skin off my back aside from having to resell it again.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have done ebay for years and had to refund an item or two. If it is something really cheap{$20 or less} I just eat it and refund their money. All I ask from them is to get a good feedback for having dealt with the issue. If the person had already left me a negative feedback I might fight it but that hasn't happened, thank goodness. If the item is more than $20 then they have to ship it back to me{at their cost} and if I find that it is busted or not as described then I do a complete refund.

As to a rattle, depends on what is meant by rattle. I have several zooms that rattle a little bit especially when fully extended. It is not uncommon on a cheap kit lens for it to be of lesser quality. As a buyer I would not even think about complaining unless it was a horrible noise. Sounds like your buyer is a jerk. Sorry you had some issues to deal with but glad to hear that ebay did come through for you{after a lot of work on your part!}.