What is this mount?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by lenshoarder, Jun 1, 2011.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I bought this lens the other day thinking it was a C Mount. It's not. Does anyone know what kind of mount this is? The pictures show a C Mount on the left and the unknown mount on the right.

43e2084c.

78e071c2.

2. MaxElmar

MaxElmar Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    All sorts of weird, proprietary industrial mounts out there, esp. for fax and copy machines. Some measurements might be handy. And an image of the front of the lens.

3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Look like a T-mount to me. If it is you can get adapters for most cameras, including m4/3. They just screw on the back.

What kind of lens is it?

4. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    For reference, the T-mount is 42mm across just like the M42 mount, but has a different thread pitch and flange-back distance.

5. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    i think it either a D mount or a CS mount , both are a pain to mount on M4/3. CS has a tendency to kiss the shutter D mount vignettes like hell.

6. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    It's not a T Mount. It's far too small to be a T Mount. Here's a picture of a T Mount adapter sitting on top of the lens. The adapter is almost wider than the whole lens. Also, I've included a side shot. It's a Zenith Tempest 180 degree fisheye. I tried googling Zenith Tempest and the only hits I got were for some auctions in South Africa. That lens was not the same as this, but was very similar.

98b74a6d.

ee162b68.

7. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Not a CS Mount. A CS Mount is the same as a C Mount except the registration distance is shorter. Could be a D Mount though. I'll google.

Hmm.... D Mount is the 8mm film mount. Let me dig out one of those lenses and compare.

Too big to be a D Mount. Here's a shot comparing the two.

019556bc.

8. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I vaguely remember some fish-eye lens back in the 60's or 70's that looked like this that could screw on the from of another lens such as a 50mm. It had adapters for the different filter sizes.

It would produce a round image on the 35mm film.

9. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Hmm... could be. I suppose it next to impossible to get an adapter these days. I might try making one with a lens cap. It's strange that it doesn't have a "focus". Well, not a normal focus anyways. It does have a ring with what appears to be a distance scale. Twisting it about I don't see any of the lenses moving. It does have a aperature. If it is an aux lens, why would it need an aperature apart from the one in the main lens?

10. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    The depth of field with fisheyes tends to be pretty large, so it may not need any focussing mechanism, especially if the largest aperture is no larger than (say) f5.6.

11. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    That's not really a lens mount, it's a thread for an adapter to mount to 49mm or 52mm filter thread of a 'normal' prime. It's an auxillary lens that was produced under numerous brands including Samigon Spiratone Soligor Kenko Kalcor, etc.
    Here's some links with more info:

Samigon Spiratone Soligor Kenko Kalcor 180 Fisheye Auxillary Lens Maxxum 7D Alpha Sony Photo Gallery by Pete Ganzel at pbase.com

Soligor fisheye adapter 0.15x::Manual Focus Lenses

It usually comes with a couple mounting adapters, but maybe you can fashion one from something like a metal screw-on lens cap or step-down ring.

12. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks. That's it exactly. You know, I do have a bunch of screw-on lens caps from my old M42 lenses. I was going to use a plastic cap but that would be better. I don't think the thickness of the cap matters much since when I look through the lens it seems to be in focus no matter how far away I am from it.

13. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    If you drilled or filed a whole in the center of the screw-in lens cap, and were able to make a groove at the base of the threads where the original adapter was to mount, then you could use a large circlip to secure the lens to the cap.

14. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

actually i know this type of lens very well. If it does not directly fit the filter of any lens you have you can buy step up adapters for it. I know many people that use it with one. The adapters that came with it are no more than a flat round piece of aluminum with a hole in the center for the fish-eye adapter to screw into and Its threaded on the outer diameter to screw into a lens filter ring. Cutting a hole in a lens cap would be the same off-set as a step adapter and also not have the same stability with that heavy piece of glass hanging from it. The lens you use, is supposed to be at almost wide open aperture, at the lowest best aperture for many reasons, so I have been told told. I think some literature say the main lens should be at 2.0 max but i cant remember. Also the Fish-eye adapter should have settings as to what focal length lens your placing it on. I never was able to play with copy of this type of fish-eye more than a few times, but i think I remember when i used it on my film camera it was there so the fish eye circle was not too big, so i think on a 0.5x sensor camera it would be best to set it to double what ever focal length lens you are using, i.e. with a 24mm lens set the fish-eye to 50mm.. I am fairly certain that would yield best results. Although not much is probably need, focus is achieved with the Main lens focus ring, after all its a filter attachment really so that makes scene there.

15. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    Oh, good... then it must have the standard 0.75mm thread pitch. You might want to check out filter thread converters as well.

16. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    What do you know? I bought a bag with a camera and a bunch of lenses and filters in it last week. I dug through it last night and there's an adapter for this lens to a 55mm filter ring amongst the pile of filters.

17. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Have you shot any images with this lens that you'd care to share? I'm curious what the output looks like on :43:.