What is this clip called?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by tkbslc, Mar 31, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

does anyone know what these clips are called or where I could buy more? I need some for some DIY camera strap projects. For size reference, the strap attached to the one shown is 1cm wide.

image.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, they seem to have a few names but Googling "swivel clips" will find lots.

Barry

3. tkbslc

I knew it was a simple name! Thanks. Hard to even look it up when you don't know what to type in google. :)

If anyone knows of a quality place to order some, feel free to recommend it.

4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Or swivel hooks.

I am sure it is easy to find places to order some. Something I discovered is that there is a wide variety to be found at thrift shops. Every purse, backpack and bags usually comes with them. If you have a good cheap thrift store, you can probably find what you need maybe cheaper than online.

5. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Beware! Some are of very dubious quality. I wouldn't trust them to hold my camera.

6. tkbslc

The camera strap lugs that come on the camera are as thin as paper clips. Some of the wrist straps use thin cord. It can't take THAT much strength to hold up the camera, can it?

Basically I am trying to use these on the end of my neck and wrist straps to clip them on the triangle lugs so I can easily switch straps (or go with none)

7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I use plastic swivel hooks on both my neck strap and harness. This allows me to quickly clip or unclip and gives flexibility.

I don't have any worries about them failing. the ones on my custom neck strap were repurposed from another neck strap.

8. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I would suggest looking at high quality YKK plastic hook snaps on Amazon, or at the modular parts at optechusa.com. I use the latter for straps, pads, and connectors and really like them. They've been reliable and sturdy so far. I recommend OpTech highly and they are very reasonable and customizable.

One advantage of being plastic, is there's less chance of dinging or scratching your camera gear if they bang against it. Using metal clips on your camera strap could result in some cosmetic damage. I echo the comment about avoiding cheap clips found by happenstance. You do not know if they are quality parts and having a camera fall because of poor components is easily avoidable. Go with a reliable source.

9. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Cheap version of side-release clips like these are especially prone to fail. Ditto on the Optech or other quality connectors.

[​IMG]