1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What is there to be gained by moving from a G3 to a GH2?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by LudwigVB, May 7, 2013.

1. LudwigVB

LudwigVB Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    I like my G3 but it seems a bit too small for me, for comfortable operation. I've been considering changing to a GH2. I'm attracted primarily to its bigger body and greater number of external controls, but I'm sure there must be other gains to be had and there may even be some pitfalls of which I'm unaware. So, I'd appreciate any advice on this move from people who know both cameras.

2. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
    Move to a g5 instead.

3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I'd check out the G5 like nublar said. Great deal here for the price of a body only: Panasonic DMC-G5KK 16MP Compact System Camera with 14–42 mm Zoom Lens Deal of the Day | Groupon

I have a G5 and reviewed it here: BLOG.ENTROPICREMNANTS.COM: Diversity's Real Value: A Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Camera Review

The G5 is much improved over the G3 in terms of handling (I have a G3 also, and gave it to my daughter). You won't have the problems holding it that you did with the G3.

The GH2 I've not used, but it's clearly bigger and has better features for video. But overall image quality is the same as it and the G5 share the same sensor. The GH2 does use the full "multi aspect ratio" feature of the sensor though which maximizes resolution at 16:9, 3:2, and 1:1 aspect ratios.

Unless you're heavily into video or want a substantially larger camera than the G5, you can save quite a bit by going for the G5.

4. I have a GH2 and it is pretty small. My biggest complaint with the camera is that I am forever inadvertently touching buttons and making adjustments I didn't want with my right thumb. If size and fit to the hand is your objective, the GH2 will not be an improvement. As others noted, the G5 may be a better choice. The G5 may lack some of the external controls, but it does have a bunch of programmable buttons and a quick menu. I would think it would be OK in this regard. The new G6 may be even better in terms of hand-fit.

5. Bob T

Bob T Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2012
    Carol Stream, IL
    Yes, this is a problem. I wish you could lock those buttons out.

I do love the GH2 for video, that is the main reason I bought it. Actually sold a HMC-150, that cost me over $3K, to buy it.

But if I was only into stills, I would have bought something else.

6. LudwigVB

LudwigVB Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    Thanks for your replies. Nobody seems to think the GH2 would be a good idea. My reason for thinking it might be is that it's significantly bigger than the G3 and might, therefore, be ergonomically more suitable, especially with its extra controls, whereas the G5 looks about the same size as the G3. (The better video of the GH2 doesn't particularly attract me, I'm a stills guy).

Looking at a few reviews, there does appear to be a general feeling that the G5 is ergonomically superior to the G3, which is the important thing for me.

7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    The G5 is slightly bigger than G3, but it has a much better grip and feels very nice in hand. The G6 is about the size of the GH2, so maybe wait another month to get it?

8. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    There's a huge difference in grip and "holdability" if I can coin a word between the G3 and the G5 with the G5 begin better.

The G3 overall gives the impression that Panasonic was doing the same thing to the G series they were doing to the GF series: dumbing them down and making them smaller to suit an introductory market. The G5 is a more serious camera IMO.

9. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Why not move to a G6? The GH2 has no warranty and the G6 is pretty much the same, even the sensor (minus the multi aspect sensor). I reccomend it :D

10. reggie747

reggie747 New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2012
    I think it offers a great range of features if you're video orientated.