1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What is the point of loading video into LR?

Discussion in 'Video Post-Production' started by WT21, Jul 8, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I just noticed LR will also ingest video, like MTS, off my SD card. But it seems to me you can't actually do anything with it (other than play it or export it) from LR.

Has anyone found a point to loading video into LR?

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Don't know how everyone else is doing but I have found Lightroom to be incredibly, stunningly bad at doing video. Mot only are there no edit tools, it frequently screws up simple playback. It even fails to delete the files when I want. No point at all to doing it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I can think of two reasons. First, just to catalog and preview it (if they can get it to work right). Second, because Aperture can.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    pretty much this. It seems both are becoming important, so cataloging them together does make sense. I actually don't mind it if it is not at the expense of performance and bloat.

With that said, I think they should be two different programs honestly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I do it for cataloging and storage/backup. If I need to edit the video, I use a different program.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Lightroom will crash as soon as I attempt video playback.

7. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Are we talking about LR3 or LR4?

I'm still on 3 but was under the impression there were many more options in the latest offering.

8. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    In LR4 you can correct exposure and WB and other things too (don't remember about this in LR3). It helped me with some videos that were hopelessly blue and underexposed. I'm not into video all that much, so anything it does is nice for me, because I won't buy any other tools for video.

9. wzfoto

wzfoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I don't even know LR3 can import videos. Anyway in LR4 you can cut, edit and apply basic adjustments such as wb, exposure, saturation, contrast etc.. to the video.

10. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    Can you change frame rates in LR? For example, you have some footage at 1080p 60 fps and some other footage at 1080p 24 fps that you want to integrate into a video?

11. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Currently the video support in LR4 is minimal but I assume that future LR version will have better support. I upload it to LR for two reasons, easy editing if needed and archiving. I think that loading in LR4 will pay its dividends in LR5 with better video support.

12. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I have actually used LR4 to perform quick edits to video when I don't want to bother importing into a video editor. I learned a trick online somewhere that lets you do Develop adjustments that the software doesn't explicitly allow you to do. You can create a still from the video, then use Develop to adjust stuff like exposure, white balance, etc. Then you can use the Sync function between the still and the video itself, to apply the same adjustments. I've found it quite handy, especially for correcting white balance, something that my video editor (iMovie) is poor at.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    I believe you can trim the ends, and capture a frame into a jpg.

14. Reflex439

Reflex439 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 2, 2010
    Boston MA
    Stephen Faust
    I use LR for video just as I do for images. I.e., catalog stills in Lightroom, but do the brunt of editing in Photoshop. With video, I let LR catalog them for easy access, tagging, etc, with all my other media, but use Premiere Pro/Media Encoder/After Effects for any real editing work. Since I shoot video and stills for my clients, I want everything cataloged in one place to make life easy. I don't think I'd ever use LR for any editing or conversion as dedicated tools work so much better and deliver superior results anyway.

15. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    LR5 allows you to put together movies from video clips using the Slideshow module
    http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-lightroom-5/improved-slideshow/
    http://tv.adobe.com/watch/getting-s...-lightroom-5/lightroom-5-publish-a-slideshow/

Basically, you take videos that are in your catalog and add them to a collection that is going to be your video project. From what I've figured out, you can shorten your clips to the appropriate length. You can also use the same video file by creating "copies", if you want to use clips from the same video file multiple times. Once you have your clips all in sequence, you add music and you have a video movie.

Is this how people are doing videos in LR now? Is this basically how it works in other video editors too?

16. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    I got trial of latest LR and noticed that I could easily adjust lightning like with photos and do some basic color correction and white balance editing.

I was surprised how well it managed to edit video without manipulation features.

17. torsteinh

torsteinh Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    Norway
    Basic video editing using image capture

What you can do (in LR 5 at least)- and this can be quite useful especially for underwater video - is to
    1) Do a capture from the video
    2) Adjust white balance, exposure, contrast, etc of the captured image
    3) Apply same adjustments to video by selecting both the video and the capture and do a sync settings

So even if you canĀ“t directly edit video, you can do a bit of editing by going the roundabout way of adjusting the captured image.

18. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    Perhaps I am missing a setting for export but the few times I made tweaks in LR and then exported the video... The files were HUGE in file size compared to the original file from camera.

19. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I hardly know what I'm doing with video, so forgive me if this is bad advice, but I use LR to grade video with VSCO presets.