What Is The Perfect Olympus Pen For You?

bebrox

Mu-43 Regular
How much would you pay?

Lots of folks want EVF. How much bigger would you be wiling to tolerate to include this?

The question is how much are you willing to pay if the EVF is built-in?

The EP3 is way over-priced for me, £699 (body only) and no EVF or articulating screen!

I can get the DMC-G3 with all of the features I need for £469, if the EP3 were £450 (body only) I would justify the missing features...I think..and maybe convince myself it were the perfect PEN!

Don't get me wrong I like the EP3 over and above all of the other PEN cameras but I am astonished at the price.

Muntjack

Mu-43 Veteran
I agree with the above poster. I absolutely love my E-P2 but I so wish the EVF were built in...it's such a pain. When you need it it's not there and I don't want to leave on permanently either as it seems vulnerable.
Likely my next camera will be a DSLR shape like the Panny G range with a built in EVF and a proper hand-hold. That's the other thing I find wrong.... the longer lenses really don't balance that well on the PEN bodies.
M

penfan2010

Mu-43 All-Pro
E-PL3 modified with built in EVF and nice handgrip. Built in-flash a plus. In other words, Panny G2 features with Pen styling.

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
I just want an E-P3 I can afford :frown:

Just wait a year. I have made a conscious decision to always be a model or 2 behind the current offering. When the E-P1 came out, I had MAJOR camera lust.....but not $900 to spend a camera (especially one without a viewfinder or flash!!). I decided that I would buy one when they came down to $500. I had one after about a year. I kept it for 2 months and sold it for what I paid. A year later after missing it's quirky slowness, I bought a body for $200.

New camera models are for suckers (insert wink :wink: to the early adopters here.....you all make my bargain shopping possible).

ZephyrZ33

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just wait a year. I have made a conscious decision to always be a model or 2 behind the current offering. When the E-P1 came out, I had MAJOR camera lust.....but not $900 to spend a camera (especially one without a viewfinder or flash!!). I decided that I would buy one when they came down to $500. I had one after about a year. I kept it for 2 months and sold it for what I paid. A year later after missing it's quirky slowness, I bought a body for $200.

New camera models are for suckers (insert wink :wink: to the early adopters here.....you all make my bargain shopping possible).

I've adopted the same method....however, sometimes I have to give back to this "cycle", and make a new purchase.

Here's to someone rescuing my E-P3 in a couple years. :smile:

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If I were looking for a new PEN I would probably want one with a built-in EVF and an articulating LCD (which is why I have a G2). I don't think it's silly or stupid for Olympus to keep going the removable EVF route (they make whatever decisions they think is best for their products) I just have found that it's important enough for me to make it a priority if I were looking to buy a new body.

Now, I do have cameras without an EVF (my GF2) and if I were choosing from the available new Olympus PENS (which is what I think the OP was about) I would probably be more interested in the E-PL3. The articulating LCD on the G2 has made me a believer so I think the flip down LCD on the E-PL3 has some real possibilities.

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
Here's to someone rescuing my E-P3 in a couple years. :smile:

In a couple years, I'll give you $200 for the body (if I haven't already found another one).:wink:

On a totally unrelated note, I'm pretty excited to buy the Fuji x100 next year for $600.:cool:

Real Name
Andrew
Luke said:
In a couple years, I'll give you $200 for the body (if I haven't already found another one).:wink:

On a totally unrelated note, I'm pretty excited to buy the Fuji x100 next year for $600.:cool:

Im exactly thinking the same thing about the x100 :wink:

Sent from my iOS using Mu-43 App

DekHog

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'd settle for my E-PL2 with quicker focussing and articulating screen.... don't really want a built in EVF unless it's really built in, a la X100.... I shudder to think what they would charge for it though!

penfan2010

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'd settle for my E-PL2 with quicker focussing and articulating screen.... don't really want a built in EVF unless it's really built in, a la X100.... I shudder to think what they would charge for it though!

Are you considering the E-PL3 for the adjustable screen, or is it not fully articulated enough for you? I'm thinking of upgrading from the PL1 to get a modicum of screen articulation and faster AF, but still not sure it's worth it.

Real Name
Andrew
penfan2010 said:
Are you considering the E-PL3 for the adjustable screen, or is it not fully articulated enough for you? I'm thinking of upgrading from the PL1 to get a modicum of screen articulation and faster AF, but still not sure it's worth it.

I'd settle for the g3. Its cheaper than the e-p3/e-pl3.

More "bang for your buck"

Sent from my iOS using Mu-43 App

DekHog

Mu-43 Top Veteran

No, I'd consider it a bit of a downgrade from my PL2 - no pop up flash, no grip, no wireless control.... the quicker focussing would be nice, but not at the expense of other things I use frequently.... I also think it's probably too small.... made for oriental hands rather than our beefy mitts.....

awatahurm

Mu-43 Regular
An e-p3 with an e-pl2 grip, remote shutter release, and images like the fujifilm x100.
Or maybe a fujifilm x100 with fast autofocus, interchangable :43: lenses, and a remote shutter release.

Richella

The Wandering Scotsman
I love the form factor of the EP3 so please don't change that but add.

A pro spec body with weather sealing.
Built in EVF or OVF/EVF
Better high ISO performance.
Bigger dynamic range.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

jlpk007

New to Mu-43
Richella said:
I love the form factor of the EP3 so please don't change that but add.

A pro spec body with weather sealing.
Built in EVF or OVF/EVF
Better high ISO performance.
Bigger dynamic range.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

Yup love ep3 form factor. With Evf/Ovf would be sweeter.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'll stay faithful to my e-p1 until a brand new sensor (read : not the same old 12 Mpix unit more or less tweaked) hits the shelves.

I'd be happy then to benefit from whatever improvements (faster AF, EVF ?) come into the mix at that moment.

Until this happens, I see very little benefit into upgrading considering what I like to picture. (I've always had the impression that when money's burning one's fingers, it's better spent, photography wise, on lenses rather than bodies).

Cheers,

Latest threads

Top Bottom