What Is The Perfect Olympus Pen For You?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by G.Sal, Aug 15, 2011.

1. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    With the release of EP3 and soon EPL3 and EPM1, can't help to think that the 4th reiteration of the Pen and Pen Lite series are just around the corner considering how quick Olympus (so as Panasonic) to put new cameras on the market which could be either a good or a bad thing.

The good is that there are improvements with the recent batch of cameras especially having a fast AF and an AF-assist lamp and the bad is that this sends a message that the cameras have short life-spans and the products are never finished and that after-thoughts in the development will mean new cameras in the very near future. And also, there's this lingering feeling that you're being deceived as a consumer that they could have put all the features in one camera but they decided to separate these features and came up with 3 different cameras e.g. EP3 has the grip, EPL3 tilting LCD, and EPM1 compact size.

To what extent can Olympus push the Pen series further? And what will make a perfect Pen?

I think the thing that Olympus has to address at the point is the noise-level after the AF speed.

2. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    I agree. I won't be upgrading my E-P3 now until Olympus release the 'pro' version. It'll have to have significantly better high ISO and image quality t make me do so. I'm on the fence about a built-in EVF though. As much as it'd be nice to have, I wouldn't want it at the expense of a larger DSLR style body. That goes the same for articulated screens - not at the expense of body size and sturdyiness.

The current E-P3 is pretty damn close to my perfect camera. At least for my current skill level :).

3. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Better sensor, period. Everything else is great.

If I was going to have two cameras, they would be the G3 with OIS lenses and EPM1 with pancakes and IBIS.

Since I can't really get two cameras, I think I'd take the "EP4" over something with the G3 form factor, but I won't be buying anything until they make a better sensor. 10MP is enough for me, 12MP is great. 16MP is even better, but not really necessary. I mainly just want less noise and more DR. Panasonic and Sony have shown you can have more resolution and less noise with newer sensor technology, and Olympus needs to stop messing around and catch up.

4. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    fuji x100 hi iso performance with the new e-p3 AF system (built in EVF would be nice too) but not really a game changer

come to think of it

(!) FAST autofocus
    ( ) fuji x100 hi ISO noise performance
    ( ) EVF

they're getting there

5. 1/8000 min shutter speed, and noise-free base ISO of 100. ISO100 was my mantra until Micro Four Thirds. High ISO is great, but compared to my Canon 50D the ability to use large apertures in bright light is reduced by two full stops.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    What I would like to get when I upgrade my E-PL1:
    1) Popup-EVF
    2) Lightning-fast AF
    3) Sony's peaking mode or similar (I just started buying manual lenses)
    4) Better noise reduction (ISO1600 and higher)
    5) Better LCD
    6) The same grip (I just love how the E-PL1 feels in my hand - fits like a glove)
    7) The same flash

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    +1

8. aaiek

aaiek New to Mu-43

Jun 9, 2011
    Built in EVF. EVF. EVF. There is no excuse for not making one model with this feature. This is a breaking point for me. Samsung NX11 / G3 both hundreds of dollars less than an EP3. M43 lenses premium price. I am happy to pay premium price for a premium product, but an EP3 is not a premium product.

I would expect a Pen Pro to have a built in EVF, but what will be the cost? I currently own an EP1 and can see no reason to upgrade or further commit to M43 gear until I see a clear direction ahead; not sideways with minor incremental upgrades. In reality $970 AUD for an EP3 is absolute top dollar for a camera that requires another $200 for an EVF to complete the package. This is quickly approaching K5 prices, and the two cameras are not comparable.

• Like Like x 2
  9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I was pretty much pleased with the EP1 for two years for walk-around shots of static subjects. The fast AF has allowed me to shoot active things (though I'm not a sports shooter).

I guess there are 5 things to make it "perfect" for me. These are not things I "have to have" but they would perfect the camera for me:

1) Better sensor in terms of DR. This is not killing me, but is the biggest remaining weakness.
    2) Better LOW ISO noise (don't care about ISO 3200 or 6400), and maybe even an ISO50. I am not deluded into thinking this will happen. The whole market is shifting to high ISO and leaving low ISO behind, but this is what I would want.
    3) In-built EVF. Again, don't "have" to have it, but it'd be very handy.
    4) MF Focus peaking -- just for fun.
    5) Tilty high res OLED screen. It's clear they will get there. I'll love it when they release it. (please, one like on the EPL3, not the side hinged one).

Aside from that, I'd just like more/better lens options. The 50mm/2.0 macro in mZD would be great. Maybe a native fast 100?

On the whole, though, I don't many complaints at all, excepting maybe DR, and I can work with that for now.

10. tigertiger

tigertiger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 30, 2011
    They need to totally redo the user interface/menu system, it's simply dreadful.
    They need to move the record button. On the EPL2 it rests directly under the thumb, so I am accidentally pressing it ever time I handle the camera. Fortunately, you can disable it entirely.
    The viewscreen is unuseable in normal outdoor situations. This is a big problem when manually focusing lenses, so we need "peaking" or built-in viewfinders or improved articulating viewscreens.

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You should try the EP3 viewscreen, the EVF (built in or seperate) and the movie button on the EP3 is difficult to accidentally press, and can also be re-assigned!

Also, the user interface on the EP3 is GREATLY improved, though it's still not fantastic, but it has some clarity now. One of the challenges is that they make their cameras MUCH more configurable than any other camera I've had, so there are a LOT of options.

12. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

1) Aperture ring, Momentary right to close, left to open, return to auto when changing top-dial mode.
    2) A shutter speed dial up top - auto at one end.
    3) ISO paddle - up/down, return to auto when changing top-dial mode.
    4) Faster shutter or built-in ND filter.
    5) Better low-light noise/detail.
    6) Lose the flash, put in a 90 degree flippable EVF - without going to the "mini-dslr" form factor.

13. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    The E-P6 is the one for me.

14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I don't think the lack of an EVF is a deciding point for "premium" or not. There are dichotic opinions about the need for a built in EVF. I also don't think price determines the premium nature of a product, either. There are many products out there that fetch higher prices than their competition when the competition might be better built or has more features.

15. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    :bravo-009:

When we say better sensor, are we suggesting that Olympus should abandon the micro four thirds format and get into the APS-C sized sensor?

And is it even a possibility that the smaller micro four thirds sensor can deliver the same consistent results with APS-C sized sensor or even better?

I hope the future of micro four thirds is surpassing the DSLRs' performance and not just a niche in between bulky and compact cameras.

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Lots of folks want EVF. How much bigger would you be wiling to tolerate to include this?

17. The size of the four thirds sensor is not the issue. If you took whatever currently passes for the state-of-the-art APS-C sensor at, say 16MP, trim it down to four thirds size and you have an approx 12MP sensor with the same noise and dynamic range characteristics as the APS-C.

The size of the sensor is one of m4/3 biggest advantages, not a disadvantage.

18. tigertiger

tigertiger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 30, 2011
    Personally, no size increase at all. I'd rather do without if it meant adding to the bulk of the PENs.

But then the X100 has a viewfinder, and it's still relatively small.

19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Look how tiny the gf3 and new Oly's are. I would think they could keep the body the size of the gf1 and E-P1 and fit a pretty large viewfinder in there. I'm also willing to go a bit bigger......they dont fit in my pockets anyways.

The size of the Fuji x100 is fine, also (even a touch bigger would be OK.....I want a big juicy viewfinder). I am NO fan of miniaturization for the sake of miniaturization.

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Nah, it's just an incremental upgrade to the E-P5. I'm holding out for the E-P7.:cool: