What is the Panasonic Equivalent to the E-M5 (Mk1)?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by KBeezie, Jul 3, 2016.

1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Out of curiosity, what's the closest functional equivalent to the Olympus E-M5 (Mk1)?

Also curious if said equivalent also has a mic input (since from my understanding Panasonic seems more prefered for video usage).

Mainly wondering for future reference of something that's durable for frequent daily use, weather sealed, good in-body IS, touch screen, easy usage with adapted lens (especially if I can quickly tap an area on the screen and zoom in for manually focusing).

2. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Hm, there really isn't a direct competitor between the the higher end Oly and Pany lines. The GX8 is probably the closest in comparison to the EM5mk2. To my knowledge, only the GX8 and GH3/4 are weather sealed, but of the 3 only the GX8 has ibis. It does have a mic input, but it's 2.5 not 3.5 standard, so you'd have to get a simple adapter.

3. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Interesting that IBIS isn't more common on the Panasonic if only one of the three mentioned has it (though that may be specific to the sealed bodies).

Looks like a nice solid grip on the GX8.

4. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Only the GX8 and newer GX7mk2 (aka GX80/85) have IBIS. Previously, Pany focused on Optical IS, but is now including IBIS to allow for Dual OIS+IBIS at the same time. On the other side, Oly focused on IBIS, but with the new 300/f4 also started with Dual OIS+IBIS. My hope is that they allow cross dual IS sometime in the future.

5. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    Panasonic sold itself on in-lens IS since the G1, and only now have they developed the tech to allow both IS methods to work in tandem - so probably more IBIS coming in the future. Does that make it 8-axis IS when both are working.. ? :tomato2:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    The original GX7 had IBIS.

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    If a comment on Parkinson's disease was mentioned and deleted, let me add something.
    My Dad has non-shaky Parkinson's with shakes manifesting with an overdose of one of the medications.
    The only cameras I can recommend are those with Olympus' 5-axis and 3-axis stabilisation, including Sony's later A7 series.
    This stabilisation type seems to deal with the large and small movements on shorter lenses very well indeed, and I don't think the other stabilisation types do.

To answer the original question : GH3 but you're never going to get an equivalent on all points.

8. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    True, but in my experience it was not nearly as good as as the Oly 3-axis on my E-M10 (mkI), at least not for macro work. I have heard Panny's newer stabilization is much better, but haven't tried up-to-date models.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    India
    I think the GX-1 was Panasonic's answer to the original EM-5. It had a 16 MP sensor and a great build and very good IQ. IBIS was one of the reasons the EM-5 was a better seller than the GX-1 and maybe a wee bit better DR and IQ. But Panasonic had no better body then.

10. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Just an update, this week I have on hand a GH4 with a 12-35/2.8 from a professor of mine who is letting me borrow it along side my E-M5 replacement.

Should be interesting, but biggest difference I noticed is the size and the number of external controls/buttons.

11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The GX1 came out about 6 months before the E-M5, and was a fair bit smaller and less expensive. Realistically, the E-M5 competitor would probably have been either the GH2 or the GH3 which bracketed the E-M5's release date on either side and were the prosumer bodies from Panasonic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    GH3 seems to me to be the closest equivalent. Pro type gear, bells and whistles. The EM10 and GX7 were the more midrange counterparts that came out a little later.

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Definitely. The Em5 and GH3 were often compared. They were Olympus and Panasonic's game changer cameras.

• Agree Agree x 1