What is the disadvantage to silent mode on the GX7?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by GnedTheGnome, Mar 9, 2015.

1. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

One of the features that draws me to the GX7 is Silent mode. From what I gather, it's both quieter (obviously) and faster. So, I'm curious as to why you would want to use anything else? I'm assuming there must be a reason, or they wouldn't bother making physical shutters at all, but I can't imagine what that reason could be. Can you help me out?
  2. Estrellas321

Estrellas321 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
  3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    there was a thread here recently about strange exposure effects caused by LED lighting on "hybrid" shutter (which is what the silent shutter is).

That may also be undesirable ... also, I'm not sure if it works across the entire range of "shutter" speeds
  4. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

@Estrellas321@Estrellas321 - Interesting reading. Thanks!

@pellicle@pellicle - I saw some examples of that with flourescents, just now. I could see that becoming more and more of a problem if it happens with LED too.
  5. m4c

m4c Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2014
    Czech Republic
    You also can't use flash, when in silent mode
  6. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    Disadvantage: apart from what's been said previously, I find I press the shutter release half a dozen times, in quick succession, not believing it's fired :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. G3user

G3user Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2013
  8. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    Yes I've read the blog spot, it seems 10 bit conversion instead of 12 is to blame. In real life it's only a problem if shots are underexposed.
  9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Do you mean the "Electronic Shutter"

Pros: Dead Silent, absolutely zero shutter lag, no shutter shock.
    Cons: No flash, max ISO 3200, people posing for pictures keep asking, "Did you take it yet?" :D
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    On the GX7, if you're in a situation where it's a disadvantage, keep in mind that you can just turn on the mechanical shutter. The GM1 (and GM5 and GF7) only has this option at under 1/500 sec. Anything after that is all electronic shutter.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  11. Jcarrith

Jcarrith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Electronic shutter artifact demo 2.jpg
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Posted a thread a while back on my experience with the electronic shutter on the GX7. https://www.mu-43.com/threads/61122/ Under certain circumstances it definitely serves it's purpose. The rolling shutter is an issue, but as long as you're not shooting fast moving objects or panning while taking a shot, it's manageable. Being able to shoot in complete silence is awesome. I'm glad with the E-M5ii you can get that experience with the added benefit of the 5-axis IBIS.