1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What is the best way to do exposure bracketing on E-PL3?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by yhbae, Feb 24, 2012.

1. yhbae

yhbae Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2011
    Right now, I am normally set on non-bracketing mode. When I need it, I need to get into the menu, settings, then enable bracketing. Then I can do continuous shoot. Finally, I go back to the menu and turn it off.

That's a lot of hassle to get some bracketing shots, hence I don't do this as much as I would have liked.

Is there an easier way that I have overlooked? :confused:

2. yhbae

yhbae Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2011
    I thought I looked into that option already, but I may have missed it. I'll look into it again, thanks! :biggrin:

3. yhbae

yhbae Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2011
    I just went into settings for assigning buttons. Looks like there is no way for me to assign auto-bracket to any of the buttons.... I can assign things like AEL but not bracket.

I don't use video, so I can easily assign this to the record button if there is a way to do it.... Hmm...

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Naw, I checked and it doesn't seem like the cameras have that function option now. They have vamped up the bracketing options a lot since the earlier days, so they probably just didn't think it was easy enough to implement it in a single button.

I wish they would implement bracketing into the Shooting Modes. ie, Single Frame, Burst, Timed Delay, Bracketed... :D

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think this is a bit annoying also.

The easiest way I have found to set this up is to use the Mysets. Save a Myset with your regular shooting mode, then enable bracketing and continuous, and then save that as a second Myset. A couple less buttons to push when you want to switch then.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi folks, long time no post :smile:

First off, set your camera up for bracketing...

e.g. RAW, IS off (if you're on a tripod), bracketing mode (I use 7 x 0.7ev), exposure mode (ESP)

and then go to

Menu 1-> Reset/Myset-> Myset1-> Set

and then go to

Cog Menu-> B Button/Dial-> Button Function -> Record dot Function -> Myset1

Now, you can immediately (and temporarily) engage your own HDR mode by holding the red record button to shoot a bracketed set of images.

Hope that helps!

Brian

7. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Add it to mysets?

For bracketing there are a host of other things I change when bracketing so myset offers a great way to get that done without thinking through all the stuff I need to do.

In fact I have a hand-held bracketing set and an on tripod bracketing set (delta obviously includes IBIS on/off among other things).

I think this is the easiest thing to do. Right at the top of the menus and off you go...

I don't have my camera with me right now, but can't you redefine the Fn button to implement a myset? I recall something like that. That would be very powerful. I also seem to recall that it will recall the aperture as well. Some people think this is a disadvantage. I view it as being able to set a default. So f/4.5...

Anyway FWIW, hope this helps.

woof!

8. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    That was interesting also for me

9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Dig on the record option for the temp mode... going to do that right now. Thanks.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, and you can assign a MySet to a Fn button as well!

Come to think of it, I think this is the way I had it set up on my DSLRs as well. The E-3 had the Myset options right in the Shooting Mode selection (like how Panasonic has the Custom modes on the mode dial). I don't know why Olympus stopped doing that and eventually relegated MySet to the Fn buttons (which I rarely use because I don't have enough Fn buttons to spare).

11. yhbae

yhbae Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2011
    Great solution! I just tried it and works really well with the record button.

The only question is, on those rare occasions when I do need to use "record movie", how do I start the movie?

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Mode Dial. The way it was meant to be started. ;) When you're in Video mode, the Shutter Button starts/stops recording.

I love the Record button because I use it for other things (not recording), but as a Record button it's really unnecessary. :D

13. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Do note that unfortunately, MySet records almost everything - and that includes aperture! If you assign the bracket MySet to a function button as a temporary override, it will also override your current aperture setting (among others).

It's not a big deal if you use MySet outside of that temporary button function override (you change to that MySet, then override the restored aperture/shutter/etc).

14. yhbae

yhbae Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2011
    Hmm, that is an interesting limitation... So if I want to take bracket shots with smaller apertures, that can be a problem...

15. yhbae

yhbae Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2011
    I just tried this:

1. Put the camera in 'A' mode.
    2. Press record button and hold.
    3. Try adjusting aperture (using the rear panel ring)

It works! Not the most comfortable combination to work on, since I am forced to use the right hand to hold on to the record button (and the camera!) and try to stick my left hand's finger towards the ring while lifting the palm of the right hand a bit but I think I can manage it....

Oh well, I guess this will have to do it until I get my next camera...