1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What is the best micro 4/3 camera for stills out there?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by cuervo.taylor, May 21, 2013.

1. cuervo.taylor

cuervo.taylor Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Hi guys,

I'm an amateur and enthusiast photographer learning by myself and lots of books. Loving the m4/3 systems as I'm a backpacker and sometimes go backpacking for two months, 3 weeks, etc.

I have a recently bought panny gh3+voigtlander 25mm f 0.95 (loving this lens)+panny 7-14mm.

But I have read some commentaries about gh3 being great for video but not so great for stills.

I wanted to know what is the best micro four thirds camera in the market for stills? and why you consider it the best?

appreaciate any help/advice/info.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I don't know that I've necessarily heard/read anything negative per se about the GH3 with stills. It's just that the design is very video-centric and so it wouldn't be the first :43: camera I would recommend to someone with no interest in video simply due to the price and size.

If you really want to go with a second body for stills, the 5-axis IBIS offered by the Olympus E-M5 (as well as the recently announced E-P5) might provide some marginal benefit over the GH3, but all three cameras share the same sensor, so the difference is likely to be minimal.

Sent from my SGH-T779 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    GH3 and the OM-D are the best at the moment. The E-P5 is also better in certain respects.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There is no best m4/3 for stills, and that's the beauty of the system! Each body model is unique with its own advantages.

That said, I would take a good hard look at the Pen E-P5 and OM-D E-M5.

Have you thought of expanding your lens collection first though, before considering a second body? There are many advantages to a second body, but not without a full lens kit to back it first. You definitely have some fine glass, but still only two lenses.

5. cuervo.taylor

cuervo.taylor Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Hey Ned thanks for your answer.

I'm currently thinking about the Oly 75mm f1.8 as I think portrait is something I want to learn more about, also I sometimes need a telephoto lens.

What would your recommend what lenses you use?

6. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    IMO the EM-5 is the best stills M43 camera. But again thats just my opinion. The IBIS for myself puts it over the GH3 for stills.

Shooting with a 25mm F/1.4 AND having image stabilization..... if someone said this to me 3 years ago I would have said its not possible at the consumer level for a reasonable price point. But here we are and it is possible. Im still blown away that- that its a reality now and its all in the size of a camera no bigger then the ancient AE-1 sitting on my Dad's shelf.

For what its worth I own a GH3.

7. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    that is true for both Olympus and Panasonic, differences in picture quality even between low and top m4/3 lineup are hardly spotted for majority of users. Sensors performance is enhanced only by better software processing, mostly providing increased ISO performance.

On other hand there is universe of compatible lenses giving you true differences. Especially when comparing Primes vs Zooms :wink:

8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    The GH3 is a very good camera and was one of my potential choices when moving up from my GX1 and looking for something to replace my DSLR kit.

I ended up going with the OMD as for me it is a more flexible system with a grip system that can be tailored for use and offers small and sturdy for landscape/street, bigger and balanced for longer lens work.

The 5 axis IBIS also played a part as did the overall build, size, flexibility of the OMD and I personally felt the GH3 was too close in size to the kit I was replacing!

The current and increasing lineup in lenses is making the Mu43 format a format to challenge even those at the top of the tree and I just read a compraison in (What Digital Camera) that compared the OMD/Fuji XE-1/Sony Nex-7..........the overall winner was the OMD, granted, the Fuji with it's Xtrans sensor did deliver marginally better images but there was little difference between the OMD/Nex7 with the OMD producing better colours.

The partnership between Sony/Olympus will I am sure deliver an OMD replacement with a Sony made sensor with PDAF, better Dynamic Range and with Olympus engineers we will see 1/8000 - 1/12000 sec shutter speed, faster flash sync up to 1/500th, lower base ISO of 100ISO and many of the other offerings from the well established marques.

Mu43 is evolving quickly and is already threatening many of the current APS-C cameras and I suspect this trend will continue as the popularity of the system grows in the market place.

9. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    Go for the 75mm, the OMD will be much cheaper 6 months from now, you can buy one then.

10. deejayvee

deejayvee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    David
    I don't know where you've heard that the GH3 is not so great for stills, but that's not true.

Is the OMD better? Arguably the IBIS does give it the edge over the GH3, but the GH3 still produces fantastic stills. Also, Olympus jpgs are considered better than the Panasonic ones.

However, put both cameras on a tripod and there would be very little difference in the quality of the raw files.

11. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Hard to figure the "best". I'd certainly get one with the newest sensor, then see how each handles.

12. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    This is one key to answering the question. If you shoot RAW, then only the IBIS for non-stabilized lenses is a potential differentiator. If you shoot OOC jpgs, then Olympus' colors are generally preferred (though, opinions may vary), but you also have to think (a little bit, anyway) about cross-branded lens use with respect to in-camera corrections. For example, the E-M5 does not correct for CA when using the 12-35mm. This may or may not be an issue for you.

Really, given how close the bodies are performance-wise, it mostly comes down to what camera you are most comfortable using, what camera you will take with you, what camera has the extra features (e.g., weather-sealing) that you want, etc. The GH3 will most likely give you as good of stills as any other body (reported 18MP, IBIS GX2, aside.)

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    This is a realy good point. The biggest difference between the E-M5 and the GH3 (besides IBIS) is the ergonomics. They are very different camera styles, the EM3 being smaller but the GH3 being more like a small DSLR and (for some) much comfier in the hand.