1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What is the benefit of registering your Olympus cameras and lenses with Olympus?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rogergu, Mar 30, 2014.

1. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    Bear with me if I could find the answer myself from the manual. Would the registration do any good to the warranty?

2. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    That's a good question that I wondered about too.
    I guess if you have a 1 year warranty, you can show that you got the camera within the time-frame showing that you qualify for the warranty?

3. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    Dewi
    I got a free lens when I registered. Olympus are going for world domination, they're collecting data on us all

4. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I had to register to enact my extended warranty.

5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Definitely registered with extended warranty on body and lenses. When you register you can opt in/out of email announcements. Last one I got was for the 20% off for the spring clean at the outlet store.

6. jjpeterberger

jjpeterberger Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2013
    Oregon, USA
    Jay
    Is any of this available when buying 2nd hand?

Jay

7. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Can you register a refurb product?

8. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

You can get an extended warranty on a refurb, so I guess in that case you'd be registered.

9. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    When I've registered my E-M10 it told me that I've got another 6 months extended warranty.

10. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    How do you register? I still have about 6 weeks of warranty left on mine.

11. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Go to the Olympus website, and look under the Support menu. You shoils see a Register product.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    • Like Like x 2
  13. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thank you! :) Ugh...it's all in Korean...I'll figure it out! Cheers!

14. torsteinh

torsteinh Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    Norway
    I normally don't register items I bought, as there's usually not much of an incentive to do so. In Norway we already have quite good warranties on everything we buy, so manufacturers seldom give away anything else just for registering.

However after I unwrapped my new E-M5 today I thought I could do a check on Olympus' website. Lo and behold - by registering and sending in copy of receipt I will get a free bonus zoom, the 40-150 f4.0-5.6.

I have to say I'm tempted to spend a stamp to get a free zoom....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I registered my E-M1 and a couple lenses last week but didn't get any warranty 'bonus'.

Barry

16. MuzMc

MuzMc Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2012
    Aye, what's the free lenses and bonus items?

In the UK, I registered an Em-1 which I purchased abroad....nothing?

My Flickr

www.flickr.com/muzmcmillan

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

17. Kilauea

Kilauea Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Canada
    Nicolas
    Upon seeing this, I registered my 12-40 and it got me a 1 month extended warranty along with 10% off of accessories. Its nothing to write home about and in the eventuality that the lens does break between month 12 and 13, it would ease things up. But I know I am covered by the warranty for much more than just 12 months here. Although the law is a bit unclear, I'd say that having a Pro lens used in a recreative way should last at the bare minimum 5 years (as long as that is considered reasonable, then that is what the actual warranty).

So, out of curiosity. What would you say is a reasonable amount of time an E-M5 or a 12-40 should last granted it is used and not abused ?

18. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    FWIW, I purchased two low mileage E-M5's recently and both needed servicing - one for IBIS and the other for the sticky shutter at high speeds. I would not read too much into this, except to say that there are a lot of parts and pieces in these cameras, especially associated with IBIS, so the probability of needing service is likely greater than with an old Nikon FM. An extended warranty is something I often consider with more expensive camera bodies these days.

--Ken

19. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    Especially for the E-M1 users it's definitely worth it because they'll get the Service Plus package if they register their E-M1 during the first few weeks. Faster repair, +6 months warranty, pick up service for repair or in some cases you get a new one, an extra hotline - at least here in Germany. Don't know if the "Service Plus" exists worldwide.

20. Kilauea

Kilauea Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Canada
    Nicolas
    You are scaring me. My EM-5 is nearly 2 years old and has yet to see any technicians.