what is NOT a native lens..

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jonboy62, May 25, 2010.

1. jonboy62

jonboy62 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    I should have paid more attention; I ordered and waited three weeks for an Oly 12-50mm lens (I have the adapter) for my EP-2. I did this without ever seeing the lens in person.
    I got the lens yesterday...it's on the way back to Adorama today. Huge lump of metal on the camera, which might have been livable.

The lens won't focus on the EP-2 except in AUTO and even that is marginal.

I have seen the tables that list what Panasonic and Olympus lenses work with which cameras but just didn't grasp that would be an issue with this combination.
    I have a bunch of OM legacy lenses that work swell with an adapter, but no other autofocus except the kit lens.

2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Only native MFT lenses are the ones specifically built for the MFT format. 4/3 lenses will fit using the adapter, but it doesn't mean they're native to the MFT format. You'll also run into the AF issues you've already experienced (i.e. you're better off manually focusing those lenses anyway).
  3. Jonas B

Jonas B Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    This is a little off topic (maybe) but some thinks the rebadged CCTV Noktor is a native lens...

In the lens review section 4/3 lenses are placed together with µ4/3 lenses while the Noktor hopefully will be sorted among adapted lenses.

Nitpicking, I know. I agree about µ4/3 lenses being the only native ones and I think 4/3 and µ4/3 lenses can be sorted as they are in the review section.

OK, I'll now go back to normal, a tad less grumpy, mode.

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Agreed the 12-60 is a big lens for such a little camera - though it is a superb lens - i use it on my Olympus 510.

I haven't tried it on my e-p1 as I dont have the adapter - but maybe something to check is that the lens and camera firmware is uptodate. You have to user the olympus software to do this

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I had the 12-60 in my 4/3 kit and its performance on the E-P2 was so disappointing I sold all my 4/3 gear.
  6. kwaphoto

kwaphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Colorado, USA
    Pretty simple to answer:

NATIVE m4/3 are: labeled as micro 4/3 and made by Pansonic/Leica and Olympus.

Anything else will need and adapter (ex. regular 4/3) or will have limited functionality via the adapter (ex. old Leica lenses, old Olympus OM and Pen lenses, Canon, Nikon, etc.). Nothing mysterious here at all. Just like Olympus Zuiko Digital lenses are native to Olympus DSLR's. Anything else is non-native.