What is micro 4/3s missing?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ksn, Mar 16, 2011.

1. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I'm working on a side project and doing a little research.

What is micro 4/3s missing that can be improved upon? Not what the limitations of the technology are, but what features are missing in the bodies available now and what type of bodies are missing from the market?

Any input is greatly appreciated :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Imo the bodies are feature rich - what I miss are optically faster zoom lenses.
    • Like Like x 7
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Fast zooms. Ultra fast primes to 65mm.

And a Pen with a built in optical viewfinder, so I can put a flash on the hotshoe.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    -Automatic photo timer, for example every 10 seconds it would automatically take photo.

-In-built wireless transfer, bluetooth 3.0.

-Faster lenses yes, but most of all more high quality compact primes as the Panny Twenty and Pana 45. I suppose primes are the best way to keep the camera and lens combination as compact as possible, which in my opinion is the most important feature that m4/3 can compete against other systems.

-Weather sealed "semi-pro" body and zoom (14-54 2.8-3.5?) (GH2 is almost there but without the weather sealing)

I think m4/3 shouldn't even try to compete in the "pro" segment, but in the "semi-pro" (or something like that) segment against the D7000, D700, D300, 7D, 60D, K5 and even Oly's own E5.

Oh and one more thing: MORE AGGRESSIVE MARKETING! At least in Finland the m4/3 system seems to be very small player and I think it's because they aren't available in many stores. The market is there but the marketing seems to be very weak.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    I think the future belongs to EVF, but it should be built in to free the hotshoe.
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    - A 40mm or 50mm lens faster than f/2
    - Standard zoom faster than f/3.5
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    More and faster native glass.

I'll parrot most all the things mentioned by Vivalo.
  8. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The functionality and IQ of the GH2 in an EPL2 sized body with the layout of the GF1, built-in EVF and IS and a 60/1.5 AF lens that is reasonably sharp wide open. Can't think of anything else I would need.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    A decent bag.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pinko

Pinko New to Mu-43

Nov 3, 2010
    Some kind (any kind :smile:) of compact TTL flash that can bounce.

Something like sunpak rd 2000 would bee perfect.

I really donĀ“t understand O&P - putting so much attention on compact bodies and none on compact flashes :confused: ?
  11. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    A more comprehensive and shorter road map for lenses. Panny and Oly are taking too long to get lenses to market.

Also more third-party lenses.

Plus what everybody else said.
  12. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    My brain dump:

- Rangefinder-style body with built-in EVF and/or flip-out LCD.

- Dedicated ISO setting button

- Lens-centred tripod mount (not sure if Panasonic has this)

- Not a body issue, but as others have noted, more fast lenses

- Better dynamic range in sensor (in preference to more megapixels)

- Sensor cover that activates when lens is removed

- High-speed flash sync (not sure if this is feasible for a built-in flash)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Once Oly and panaleica will move their 4/3 lens to M4/3 mount you will have everything you had ever wanted until then fast zooms are not available , long fast tele either and nothing from pana or oly in the range of 85mm medium to long tele but a fast one. If they release something like that it would be awesome. Until then I am more than happy with my Tamron SP 90
  14. hendrik78m

hendrik78m Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2011
    12-30mm f/2.8 , 30-90mm f/2.8 and small TTL flash that can bounce that can control other flash (high speed sync function for slave), more auto focus prime lens.
  15. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Whats missing?

Like many of the other respondents I would like to see the addition of a more comprehensive system. Things like:-

A decent fast good quality zoom. There is a Panasonic 12-60mm f/2.8-3.5 coming at some point apparently.

A fast wide-angle prime. 12mm f/2 would be nice. 10mm f/2 would be even nicer.

A fast portrait/telephoto prime lens. 50mm f/2, 75mm f/2.

I'd personally love a battery grip for the GH2. It drinks power and I also use some lenses on it that would benefit from a grip to better balance them.

I'd like to see some weather sealing though not at the expense of weight or size.

An Olympus camera that has a simple menu and control layout that doesn't require going to evening classes to understand it!

All cameras to have built in EVF's and an end to this bolt-on finder nonsense. Fuji have shown the way on this.

Most of all it occurs to me that what's missing is an understanding of who uses this stuff and why. I've always thought that there is a split market for m4/3. Those who come from a P&S sensibility and want something simple, light and stylish and those who very much see m4/3 and other systems like it as an alternative to the DSLR. It could be argued that the former are taken care of, and to a certain extent unless they move on from P&S to seeing photography as an end in itself rather than as just a way of recording their lives, they won't know what they require to do that.

The second catergory, those who want an alternative to the DSLR aren't catered for yet. In the main these are probably people who are serious about photography and keen to produce more than just snapshops. They are also people who are probably aware of the range of possibilities that are available and who also have some disposable income to spend on them. They want flexibility and reliability and yes, a little bit of style. If the Fuji X100 launch has shown anything its shown that people like retro and they like good design. Olympus with the Pens have tapped into this but Panasonic haven't. Much as I love what my GH2 will do, it isn't the prettiest camera I've ever owned. Some would say it shouldn't matter, but it does!!

I think m4/3 should pursue these DSLR downsizers with vigour. Stop producing endless slightly different clones and give us something we can hold up and say "Look at this, isn't it great. It takes wonderful pictures and video, its a joy to use and it looks and feels fantastic." Whether you agree with them or not, thats what new X100 owners are saying.

Of course all of this is currently on hold, as Japan is in mourning and crisis, and speculation such as this may remain just that, speculation, for some time to come.
    • Like Like x 5
  16. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    On top of everything everybody's already said, what I really want and would simply take a firmware upgrade to fix, is a screen in Manual Focus mode displaying the distance the lens is currently focused at, and the depth of field at current aperture.

The camera knows the information from any native :43: lens, and writes it in the exif, so that screen would take minutes to cook for a competent programmer.

For instance, look at the pictures in the 'MF assist' section on the page below :

The LX3 displays focus distance, and DOF on a scale in MF mode.

• Like Like x 1
  17. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Better High ISO performance
    Better Dynamic Range
    Faster Lenses including both primes and zooms
    Better "system" speedlites
    Faster more DSLR like performance
  18. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    i think i'd want micro 4/3s - as a system - to be approached in less of a piecemeal fashion. right now it's body first. a kit lens or two as an afterthought. and everyone scrambling to find the best legacy glass for the fast primes we all want but aren't being offered within the m4/3 platform.

what i want is for there to be a more holistic approach to m4/3s, like with rangefinder cameras and like with full size dslr's. both of these "systems" are just that - systems - with loads of options for bodies and glass (and timers and bags!), both in price and by manufacturer. right now with olympus and panasonic the only players in the game (and yes, i realize there are more players on the horizon), the m4/3 "system" just isn't mature yet. it will be some day (at least we can hope), but right now there's a lot of growing pains as we wait for these companies to decide what they really want to do with m4/3s.

not complaining, just saying...
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    From Olympus's point of view, they really don't have to have this approach if the market they intend are for P&S users moving up. For more serious users, Panasonic has the body covered(ala GH2) and has made some effort with decent lenses.

The system approach is going to take a very long time for mFT. Neither Panasonic nor Olympus is going to put that type of effort unless they are selling the bodies and lenses they currently have close to Canon or Nikon type numbers. Canon and Nikon can take the system approach because they have the sales to do it.

For me, as far as what I would like:

- Better LCD. I don't care about an EVF. I could have gotten a G1/G2 with an EVF if that is what I wanted.

- Collapsable fast zoom. Something like a 14-35 f2.8 thoughout the entire range would be the only lens I probably would ever need.

- Much faster AF

- A more gradual magnification box for manual focusing. Have smaller steps, say 2x, 4x, 6x..etc

- Faster frames per second. Close to SLR speed.

- For the PEN style cameras, put more "function" over "Form". I am starting to find the smaller grip awkward for some of the lenses.

- Better noise and increased dynamic range
  20. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    - weather proof body & lens
    - fast primes 10-12mm, 35, 50, 90
    - macro lens not converters pls...
    - faster AF, support PDAF!
    - non focus by wire pls!!!
    - Better DR or a single shot HDR with tweakable strengths(not like current dramatic tone)
    - 1/8000s max shutter speed for faster primes at base iso200