What is limiting m4/3 1/8000 shutter speed?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by OdzBodkinz, Jan 5, 2013.

1. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    Of all of the m4/3 cameras I have owned, some pretty recent models, none of them have the ability to shoot at 1/8000. I get that I can stick a circular polarizer or nd filter on my fast lenses...but that is beside the point. Is there some sort of physical limitation as to why our small cameras can't match the shutter speed of my D700?

Will global shutter overcome this limitation?

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mkee

mkee Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2012
    Long Beach CA
    I was just wondering the same thing today also. I would be interested in why that is as well.

3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I think I read somewhere that for that to happen, the entire shutter mechanism would have to be redesigned and built to a significantly more durable standard...something about 1/8000 shutter speeds being a lot more strenuous on the mechanism physically.

Could be wrong though.

4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Probably has alot to do with cost. Small, faster reliable shutters are more difficult to engineer and produce.

Global shutter is not necessary for 1/8000 speed shutters

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Do any focal plane shutters go that fast?

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Yes. Most DSLR makers have at least several models that do.

I wonder if the fact that mirrorless shutters have to first close, then open / close and open again makes faster speeds more difficult.

7. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I think that is the main reason. However, accepting that, how difficult would it be to have the ISO expandable to ISO 100 or even ISO 50 for bright light situations?

8. The Samsung NX20 offers a 1/8000 shutter speed, but that is achieved using an electronic as opposed to a fully mechanical shutter.

9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I'm signing the petition as well. One of my biggest peeves with m4/3.

Gordon

10. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I'd guess that cost of materials is part of it. For example, the Nikon F4 was introduced with a 1/8000th shutter speed made possible by using carbon fiber shutter blades.

11. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My Olympus E30 has it, so I guess we would see it on a Pro OM-D model that is rumoured to come at the end of the year. It wouldn't be a pro model if it couldn't do that shutter speed, but do expect to pay for it though.

12. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    and to think, i'm saddled with a 1/2000 shutter speed on my e-pl1's...

13. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    I'll add my name to the list in wanting this, although for preference I'd go for something around a lower ISO solution.

14. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I'd agree as long as we're not losing DR. It'd need to be a native ISO100. Otherwise I'll take the shutter speed.

Gordon

15. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Agreed with this whole shebang. Would love to see 1/8000 and/or ISO 50/100. I know the GH3 has extended DR, but I'm not sure how that works.

That said, wouldn't it be awesome if some of the higher end bodies had integrated ND filters, like the AF100? I don't know how size consuming that would be, but given that the top-end bodies are trending larger... It would certainly be useful for the video guys.

16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Maybe there's some kind of size constraint for the mechanism on 1/8000s bodies.
    I use an e-p2 for ISO100 combined with 1/4000s max shutterspeed for bright lenses in bright light, but I think currently that's the minimum sensitivity achievable in the system (I think G1 & 2 are similar)... anyone with GH1 or GH2 comment?

The E-5 & e-30 DSLR bodies both have 1/8000, I'm genuinely surprised the flagship e-M5 didn't have it!

17. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Being cynical for a moment, Olympus had to give 1/8000th on the E-30 and E-5 because they had precious little else to keep them competitive for all but the most committed users of the 4/3 system. With the E-M5 they had enough other goodies to save a faster shutter speed until the next upgrade. None of the manufacturers put all their eggs in one basket at the same time! :rolleyes:

18. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Does that mean I'm going to have to strain my marriage even further to get that one now? :rolleyes: :wink:

19. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The Canon 60D offers 1/8000, and it's not expensive.

20. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Most brands using focal plane shutters are outsourcing from Copal.... its been that way for decades.

I would surmise that higher tolerances, better materials, better design, etc.. all are required to insure reliability. Higher the quality == higher the cost (from Copal). Higher cost is extended to the camera manufacturer's bottom line. 1/8000th of second shutter speeds are normally found in higher end cameras. You will also notice that those shutters also tend to have higher shutter life expectancy than the typical consumer or entry level camera.

Leica M8 had 1/8000th but there was concern over the noise and vibration of the shutter as well as reliability. With input from the Leica community, the next iteration, M9, only had 1/4000th as the top speed with improvements in other areas. In order to compensate for those of us that like to shoot wide open, they M9 also allowed for a full stop slower ISO setting. Well... its not a complete compensation because the lower ISOs are simply a pull from their base ISO which in theory could impact IQ (narrower dynamic range.. go figure) No biggie for me personally, I haven't missed the 1/8000th shutter yet...